I'm annoyed.

i think it could be done, they would just have to take extra care in preserving the gameplay since tekken's gameplay is so different from other combo based 2d games. i imagine it would have to have 3d backgrounds also, so that you can still side step. but even still, a 2d version would probably be faster paced

the only example i can think of is Kyosuke from Rival Schools being converted to 2d in CVS2. All his moves are pretty much the same (except, no air combos), but there's a noticable difference his gameplay. I'm really good with Kyosuke in RS, but I'm pretty sucky with him in CVS2.

They'd have to find a way to preserve that looseness in the controls that the 3d version has

Last edited:
You can't blame yourself for being bad with Kyosuke, Daicon. He just sucks in it. Second to worst (right behind King).

Anyway, I don't think that a 3d game can be well-translated. 2d games are too emphatic on jumping while jumping is nearly non-existent in 3d games. That alone pretty much dooms it.

I think jumping isn't emphasized in 3D games as much because game designers can't seem to figure out that a trigger button can do more than block and charge.........but that's besides the point.

I do think that a 3D fighter could be made 2D, but a couple of drastic changes would have to take place. The pacing would definately have to be fasterin 2D, and a new mechanic would need to be introduced to make up for the lack of sidesteping. Maybe a mutation of the system from the last few DBZ games that let you dodge the punch and kick attacks from a standstill. that might work.

then again, I just got off work and I smell like a sandwich, what do I know? ;)