HDTV and Wii....

basilmunroe said:
Spuds, look around, it's still $3000 to buy a computer (at least a good one) and $500 to buy a cell-phone (with no contract).
I don't know where you get your computers, but here in America, unless you buy a crazy special modded top-model Alienware, it isn't gonna cost $2000. In fact, lots of MGers profess that you can build an all-around solid PC for only $700. Or you can buy a utility PC for like....$200.

But TVs are entirely different from those two. But the fact of the matter is that in all likelihood, within the next 2 years, HDTVs are going to be as cheap as any other TV.

Spuds, snoop around the Canadian Dell site, here's a sample page:
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dt_9150?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs
$1300 for a decent machine with a monitor. Then you add your upgrades (more RAM, faster processor, etc.) say you spend another $300 on that so we're up to $1600, add 15% sales tax (which is what I pay where I live) and you get $1840. That's pretty close to $2000.

And if you build a PC for $700, you still have to buy a monitor, which won't be thrown in and marked down like Dell does, so you end up spending more sometimes.

basilmunroe said:
Spuds, snoop around the Canadian Dell site, here's a sample page:
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dt_9150?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs
$1300 for a decent machine with a monitor. Then you add your upgrades (more RAM, faster processor, etc.) say you spend another $300 on that so we're up to $1600, add 15% sales tax (which is what I pay where I live) and you get $1840. That's pretty close to $2000.

And if you build a PC for $700, you still have to buy a monitor, which won't be thrown in and marked down like Dell does, so you end up spending more sometimes.
Oh, 3000 CANADIAN dollars. What is that? Like...40 bucks American?

Anyway, like I said my computer I use for just email, surfing, etc is probably only worth about...300. Tops. If you bought it marked up from Wal-Mart (it's got a Pentium 2, 20 Gig HDD, 256 megs of RAM, some crappyass Intel graphics card, all sorts of other bad stuff). But yeah, computers aren't very expensive anymore. HDTVs aren't that far off.

spudlyff8fan said:
Oh, 3000 CANADIAN dollars. What is that? Like...40 bucks American?
Actually, it's more like $2730 American right now. Cause your dollar is circling the global drain.

All hail Euro!

Aaaanny-hoo. You can't compare non-cutting edge computer tech with cutting edge TV tech. Fact is HD is still a premium technology, and will continue to sell at premium prices, until something better comes along. That's how it works with computers, that's how it works with everything.

Booyah.

I have to agree with what the guy said about his dad buying an HDTV 'cause the guy at Best Buy told him to...or something like that.....This fact will hold up no matter how many times it gets bashed: People, in general, will always take the word of the man at the store, if it is something they don't know alot about......When we got our HDTV, it was top of the line at just about 2000 dollars.....I did my research and narrowed it down to like 4 tvs' i was looking for...I went in Best Buy to look at the features, meaning not the lame ass picture quality the salesman at Best Buy says those tvs will produce.....Trust me, if you need any help with your decision, always call up a Cable Service Technician....I used to be one before my injury, and i saved people alot of time, money, and hassle just by letting them know what they would be "really" getting......I guess i'm a little let down by Nintendo's decision 'cause i consider my living room my entertainment hub.....Barring any setbacks i'll be using the DVI connection to connect another CPU that i'm finishing upgrading....If Nintendo feels the need not to include HDTV support at this time, that's fine, but i'll be waiting for the price to drop before i go shelling out cash for their console.....I'm more than content with the Cube now, and its plethora of very addicting games.....OH and the 360 that does have HDTV support....I know this technology isn't for everybody, and trust me i busted my a** to get my widescreen TV....Am i satisfied, yes and no, just knowing that the "new" thing has already came out(plasma,DLP,LCD), i've learned to slow down and think about my tech stuff i buy.....I am more than content with the choice i made, and i guess, in a sense, you have to do that with your console choices as well........That, or wait til the Wii drops below 100 dollars and Plasma drops under 300 dollars....Wishful Thinking, i guess

I think they made the right choice in not opting to go HD. HD is not mandatory. Everyone does not have one just yet. It is not afforable so that ( I have to say this ) POOR ppl like my self acn just go a buy one. I want one. and it will cost me $1000, but thanks to Sony the price just went up to about $2500 and I want a 32" ( the price might be more). Nintnedo may be going the safe route. But so is MS and Sony ( they have not chosen to go a different direction in gaming but better grapichs ) If the market is going to force HD to everyone then I don't see it. I went to Circuit City the other day with my aunt to get a TV. Guess what she didn't buy a HDTV. The market for HD is still young I give it a few years before it's in everyhouse. Like 6-8 years or so.

I agree! It always takes a lot longer for things to reach mass market scales than we think it should. Why, High Speed Internet has been available for what, 6 or 7 years almost (help me out if it's more or less)? And last I heard most American households are still on dial-up (maybe that's changed within the last year though). Point is, it took at least 5 years or more for the majority to make a switch as simple and as relatively inexpensive as that.

Let's say people upgrade TVs about as often as cars. When did the first car with integrated GPS navigation come out? like 4 years ago, maybe 3. Still fewer than 10% (I'd guess) of cars sold today have built in GPS navi.