HDTV and Wii....

asylum_boy

Executive Editor
Registered
Aug 2, 2005
On My Throne
....If i heard this correctly, Nintendo said in their press conference that we'll have to wait 5 years to be able to see Wii in HDTV....Their reasoning??......They stated that the HDTV is not in high demand now and figures show that their isn't enough HDTV televisions in people's houses to constitute upgrading the Wii to True HDTV.......Ok, my opinion is bad decision by Wii.....Sure, gamers will still buy the console regardless, but they are saying Wii is not competing with the other 2 next-gen consoles.....That it will bring a different experience to gaming...Well, maybe this gamer has been spoiled by the Xbox and the 360, but i do think that adding the HDTV is just another selling point....and i for one, since i have an HDTV, would not wanna play next-gen. games on a regular TV.....What is Nintendo thinking??......I mean they kinda did this with the Gamecube, with the latest Cubes not offering the component output....Maybe i've been out of the loop with Nintendo too long(just got a Gamecube for my 31st birthday), but i couldn't think of anything better than playing a game like Disaster-Day of Crisis(pending Wii title) in HDTV, like i play my games on my 360....Comments, anyone??.....:fire:waits for Spuds:fire:.....haha

True, it's another selling point. I'm sure Nintendo was considering adding HD before they decided they want to release a new console at the absolute lowest price they can.

Sorry, Asylum, I think you have fallen out of the 'loop', aka Nintendo's target demographic. :p

By the way, I'm still playing games on a 20" flat screen TV with the AV cables and the normal TV speakers. Woo yeah. I wouldn't mind have all that HD and surround sound stuff, but that will have to come when I'm not perpetually broke.

I think it was a dumb idea, too. When they said "there isn't enough demand for HD-capable games" they meant "Japan doesn't care." Which is a habit of Nintendo's.

That is true Japan really does not care. But they are not trying to push the sell of HDTV because it's not mandatory just yet. Thats why the 360 does not come with the HD-DVD drive. It's and option. In my mine I think both Nintendo and MS are think about there customers. I don't have a HDTV yet. I saved up for one, but I want to spend that money on a car. I try to work things out but games take up my money. IF with in 5 years HDTV is soemthing that is in every house hold then Nintendo is doing right. The games will still look great but not HD.They wany the system to be affordable for everyone. The way the system plays is how they are trying to sell. MArketing that way gives the customer time to get the HDTV get the games, and when HD is availabe for the sytem get that to.

But in the next 5 years it will be time for Nintendos updated version of the Wii.

Exactly Spuds, you hit it right on the head.....Japan doesn't care, so they won't do the HD thing....and Roach, i can tell you i've been in that spot before...But i spoiled myself before i got married, that and i hate going to theatres and having to use my whole tax return to watch one movie.....My HDTV setup is everything i've ever wanted and it took a couple of years to build it up.....So, when i hear that a next-gen. system would not be offering HDTV compatibility, i was like WTF??....Nintendo knows that is where gaming is going, HDTV that is, and they just delaying the obvious

The main reason they didn't include an HD-DVD drive was because they're expensive as hell. That's why Sony is going to be losing 200-300 for every PS3 sold.

spudlyff8fan said:
The main reason they didn't include an HD-DVD drive was because they're expensive as hell. That's why Sony is going to be losing 200-300 for every PS3 sold.

There's a big difference between HD-DVD/blueray and gaming in HD though. Providing HD-capable graphics (640i, 1080p etc) is a hell of a lot cheaper than HD-DVD/blueray, and it sounds like this is what Nintendo is talking about for the Wii.

For example, even though the 360 needs an addon for HD-DVD, it can display HD graphics for games right out of the box.

I think Nintendo's reasoning is a bit strange, but the decision is sound. It's already well known that the Wii isn't going to have the best graphics on the planet. People aren't going to be buying it to see the latest and greatest visuals, so the absence of HD gaming isn't a huge deal. Also, by being the "budget" choice, there's a (sound) assumption that the people buying the Wii, by and large, don't have HD-capable sets yet.

I am pretty sure that 3rd party will be providing HD TV ports of the Wii. I agree tho they probally did not do it cause they probally conducted the study with Japanesse people, who probally don't have a bunch of HDTVs

Judging from all the official Nintendo videos shown at E3, the Wii is really going to be targeted towards "everybody" and by no means the hardcore gamer. I saw mostly girls and even old people playing the Wii in all of Nintendo's promo videos. I doubt those two audiences blow tons of cash on HD setups with surround sound and all that jazz. It is a sound decision not to include HD in the Wii. Maybe not the best decision, but it makes sense if they are marketing the system as super affordable. They say they don't want to compete with Sony and Microsoft directly, this is just further evidence of that.

Um, not really Steve. Did you read that?

"The FCC now requires that any larger TVs with "analog" tuners also be marketed with built-in or separate DTV tuners, and this will soon be a requirement for all TVs—so you should be seeing more and more "integrated" or "built-in" products in stores. (Some of these may be "DTV" or "EDTV" sets that cannot display full HDTV.)"

There's a difference between DTV and HDTV. In addition, cable and satellite subscribers -- the vast majority of Americans -- aren't affected by this legislation since it only concerns air broadcasting. Rest assured that there will still be millions of homes without HD capable TV's through the end of this decade. It's just not something a company can expect the mass market to have access to.

I'm also pretty sure this particular piece of legislation was introduced a long time ago and previously called for a transition on dates that have already passed. I think I remember the switch supposedly happening in 2004, for example. I wouldn't besurprised if it was pushed back once the current date gets closer and the government realizes that it's not ready.

I don't think HDTV will be in the majority of households in North America before this generation of game consoles is succeeded by the next one.

You may be an early adopter, Spuds, but 90-some% of people aren't.

It will become the standard at some point, it's just when that point arrives that will be the question.

Nintendo is making a solid move based on their marketing of the Wii by not including HD gaming. Regardless of when HDTV will become mainstream, it certainly isn't now and probably won't be for at least three years. Most likely more. Since Nintendo is marketing the Wii to a more mainsteam audience, it makes sense not to inlcude features that the audience can't use.

basilmunroe said:
I don't think HDTV will be in the majority of households in North America before this generation of game consoles is succeeded by the next one.

You may be an early adopter, Spuds, but 90-some% of people aren't.
I actually play my games on a 13" Toshiba from 2001. But I still see HDTV becoming standard in the not-so-distant future.

I mean, within the next couple of years, they're probably going to become as cheap as a regular TV, and when we start seeing a 25" HDTV for $100 at Wal Mart the day after Thanksgiving, lots of people are going to buy it.

Yeah, but pretty much everyone knows what HDTV is, and pretty much everyone knows that it's simply better than whatever they have that isn't an HDTV.

It's like way back when in the 90s, when it was $3000 to buy a computer, and $500 for a cell phone, and really, none of us ever expected things to change like they did.

spudlyff8fan said:
Yeah, but pretty much everyone knows what HDTV is, and pretty much everyone knows that it's simply better than whatever they have that isn't an HDTV.

No they do not. Not everyone knows what a HDTV is. My dad bought one becues the guy at Best Buy said he should. I want one because I know it looks good. But there are people out there in the world who have no idea what HDTV is.