Got my PSP today. Whats a DS again?

I got it Friday and I haven't gotten off the thing. I've got Lumines and Ridge Racer and both are extremely fun. I'm actually going to my car to play it during my 10 minute breaks at work. It really is a sexy machine. And the movie quality of Spider Man is unreal. The picture is so clear it's about as close to being on the set as you're going to get.

I hear people say all the time that handheld systems will never be power house machines like consoles, but after jamming on this for a week, I doubt I'll ever buy a current console game again.......

Wow i hope that is a joke or an exagertion because its going to need constant recharge from the way you play, movie quality might be great but are you willing to have to buy a UMD or download the movies on to the memory stick just to watch it on the PSP, whats funny is Nintendo got shit for using smaller discs but when Sony does it they don't get crap (or as much crap) the only really stupid move with the PSP is that it plays movies but you can't use normal DVD's its just a way for sony to make money.

A car charger and regular plug in is just fine with me. In my opinion, the DS can not be compared to Sony anyway. Sorry, but the gimick two screen touch pad is just silly IMO.

As for the DVD vs small disk, I'm sure people were pissed off as well during the start of the VHS to DVD transition.

Reply to: AmericanRitual:

I got it Friday and I haven't gotten off the thing. I've got Lumines and Ridge Racer and both are extremely fun. I'm actually going to my car to play it during my 10 minute breaks at work. It really is a sexy machine. And the movie quality of Spider Man is unreal. The picture is so clear it's about as close to being on the set as you're going to get.

I hear people say all the time that handheld systems will never be power house machines like consoles, but after jamming on this for a week, I doubt I'll ever buy a current console game again.......

And that is EXACTLY why I don't plan to be any of these ingenious contraptions... I need my 10 minute breaks! I'm already trying to break away from my many adddictions.

I just finished watching the latest South Park. It makes a number of popculture references. One of the major ones involves the PSP and a Diablo-ish game. It's kind of like the movie The Last Starfighter, but the quote of the episode, with regards to this topic, was: "The PSP was created by God." It appears that most of you all seem to agree. I would absolutely lose it if Sony chose to offer a golden PSP (you have to see the episode).

THe WiFi capabilities of the PSP are garbage compared to the DS, still.

As always, Sony concentrates on widespread appeal while Nintendo works on groundbreaking multiplayer.

Nintendo's free long range WiFi network should be up and running sometime this summer. Mario DS an other current games wont use it but Animal Crossing DS, and other games will now be specifically designed to take advantage.

Meanwhile, the PSP has an optimum WiFi range of 15 feet.

Since when has Nintendo ever had any "ground breaking multiplayer"? I have never seen anything while playing massive multiplayer games with Nintendo's name on it.

Plus, Nintendo has been out longer, of course their going to get the jump on the WiFi. Sony will soon follow, don't worry.

I saw the South Park too. Those guys are up to speed thats for sure.

Nintendo F'n rules, now read the signature that's right "reckonize bitches", anyways anybody get a psp with dead pixels on the screen? I did and went to return it to the store I bought it from and they wouldn't take it back. Instead they gave me sony's number so I can call them and see about getting an exchange, or getting it fixed. Damn Sony, First the psx overheats, then the ps2 has "disc read errors", now this. Say what you say about Nintendo, at least they released systems that worked, both my nes and snes still work to this day, oh and their power chords never set houses on fire, Damn Microsoft and their billions of dollars, burn my house down will they!!!

In my opinion, the DS can not be compared to Sony anyway. Sorry, but the gimick two screen touch pad is just silly IMO.
Yes the DS cannot be compared to the PSP two different game play styles each have their ups and downs, as for one with the PSP no nintendo exclusive games but then again vice versa for DS, i just find the DS to be how should i say more attainable 100 bucks cheaper plus an already strong set of games to buy, in the long run we will just have to see if the DS was a smart move or not, and if not well nintendo can fall back on to improving the Advance. And trying to regain some ground in the console series and well since little is known about exactly what the Revolution is cept for the hardware specs yet again the future of Nintendo is unsure, and if it fails well so does my faith in the console.

I recently got to try a PSP out, with DarkStalkers and Wipeout. The screen looks just fantastic and I was impressed by how smoothly the games ran. DarkStalkers played well enough as I button-mashed my way to glory, and Wipeout felt great until the turns sent me careening into the walls - just like the old PS1 games, but not the nostalgia I was hoping for. When I eventually get one, though, it looks like I'll be playing with headphones on; the speaker sounds hollow and tinny and I'm starting to wonder if it will sound any better than my crappy cellphone.

Good first impression, overall. And I'm looking forward to seeing when the "unintended" features, like emulation, finally hit.

A car charger and regular plug in is just fine with me. In my opinion, the DS can not be compared to Sony anyway. Sorry, but the gimick two screen touch pad is just silly IMO.

Guess ignorance is bliss. Least your happy that way.