God of War I

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
I've just decided that I'm going to pick up God of War after seeing the trailer for the sequel. I gather that II starts after you defeat Ares in I, when I play II, I want to have actually defeated Ares. That's just freakin' cool.

I've seen video of the game, and it looks like there's quite a bit of acrobatics involved. It looks like a cross between Shadow of the Colossus and Prince of Persia. Can anybody give me an idea of what the gameplay is like?

I don't think it could be qualified as being part SotC. Well, the wall-climbing aspect is sort of similar. Prince of Persia, maybe, but I haven't played those. Throw in some Devil May Cry with that as well. Basically, you just stylishly beat the hell out of hordes of mythological enemies, what can I say. :p

Ah, I haven't seen the trailer for 2, but from what I've played and seen of the first one, you can't exactly climb around on enemies freely. Maybe during some scripted sequences you can.

Looks like the God of War people, after having lost in all categories to Shadow of the Colossus at the GDCA, are 'taking back' some of that. :p

Yeah, the first one is ****ing awesome. So much better than the PoP series.

The game is like Devil May cry and Resident Evil 4. Non-Stop Action like RE4 and DMC3 and it has a great story. The gameplay is simple yet skill full.............So many combos make my tumbs bleed.....And the Freaking game is great. And get his it's 20 bucks you can't beat that. Do your self a Favor Grad DMC3 SE while your at id it will be the best 40 you'll ever spend on two games

You mean sixty dollars. Games are $10 more North of the border.

The Devil May Cry deal doesn't appeal to me. But there's something about tearing the eyeball of a cyclopes out of its socket with my bare hands that gets me a little excited.

basilmunroe said:
You mean sixty dollars. Games are $10 more North of the border.

The Devil May Cry deal doesn't appeal to me. But there's something about tearing the eyeball of a cyclopes out of its socket with my bare hands that gets me a little excited.

Come on how can you not like Devil May Cry. Non-Stop Action. Plus Dante is a Beast. But maybe its something about Virgil that makes me point that out so much. He's one of the bad guys that You want to play with or you just wonder why is he so FU@*in deadly. He has that affect that is like sephorioth form FFVII You want to be him just as musch as you want to be Cloud.

But Kratos is just as crazy. I still can't stop watchin the trailer. I put it on the iPod and i watch it atleast 4 times a day.

I might like it. I've never played it. I'm in a position where I have to budget my time. That forces me to be more selective about what games I play. If I bought or rented every game that anyone said was good, I'd only be able to play about 5% of them.

I would choose GOW over DMC because the mythos behind GOW appeals to me more.

tigaer said:
Yeah, the first one is ****ing awesome. So much better than the PoP series.

Why do people compare these two franchises all the time? I understand they're both based in the past and have similar artistic styles (mostly colors palettes/schemes), but they're two very different types of games. GoW is a lot more mature action than Pop which focuses mostly on adventure. They're both action/adventure I guess and I know comparison's are bound to be made, but they just go about it in such contrasting ways (IMO) that I can't see why people compare them so much.

I don't know. From what I've seen and played of GOW so far (which admittedly isn't much) They are very similar. Fighting is similar. Movement is not so much (GOW lacks the acrobatics of POP). The biggest similarity (and I mention it because it's rare these days) is the lack of 360 degree camera control. Each scene is only seen from one point of view in both games. That can be frustrating at first but you quickly get used to it --- and it virtually eliminates loading times because the rendering engine doesn't have to worry about what the backs of things look like.

Well, I'm loving GoW.

I brought my PS2 up to "the big tv" with the "good sound system". It was like a totally new game. The amount of detail in the soundtrack is incredible. And Kratos' footsteps are so loud!

You Canadians...ill is a positive adjective. He's saying he's enjoyed GOW1 and is looking forward to GOW2.

I just finished GoW. I'm impressed. A very good game. Fun all the way through. The utter brutality of the hack'n'slash style of play was comical enough that when they pile the enemies on in a veritable torrent, it was more laughable than annoying.

The only thing I didn't really dig was the lack of boss encounters. And the over-abundance of spinning blades. Hades was awful.