God of War 2

Solitudinarian

Registered
Mar 21, 2006
Denver, CO
God of War 2 is being touted as the last great PS2 game. The questions I put to you are: Is it possible to top the first one without being too over the top? and can't we wait a few extra months to see a PS3 version? I say, when it comes to this title and this story, it would very difficult to achieve 'over the top', the limit to this game's potential is invisible. The rumors of Icarus wings, the use of Pegasus (the flying horse) and the additional functionality of the Blades of Chaos are enough to make the weariest gamer salivate. And as far as a PS3 version, why wait when you can have it now. I'm sure there will be Gods of War o' plenty for the next gen but PS2 needs a really big send off and GoW2 is just the ticket. Thoughts?

Thing is that the existence of God of War 2 is nothing but proof that not even Sony knows when the PS3 is coming out, I think. I mean, both Nintendo and Microsoft have a handle on it. The fact that they're putting out such a high-profile game so far along in the PS2's, with so much hype surrounding the PS3...it is pretty much just a measure to keep a handle on the market.

hmm not entirly true.. they might be using the hype that is pusing the ps3 to make some god of war 2 sales.. you know if i can have the ps3 i'll get the next best thing metalty. in all honestly there is most likly senerio is suply of the ps3 will not meat demands and a lot of those fanboy who wont tuch the xbox will buy a game like god of war to hold them over.

No. They would've pulled a Nintendo and make it a playable PS3 game like Nintendo did with Zelda. God of War 2 would've been much better used as something to draw to the PS3. In all likelihood, God of War 2 is going to be a somewhat-quickie game with essentially the same gameplay. Not that this is bad, but the thing is Sony just wants to keep their name in the back of people's minds, because it'll be tough to remember with Halo, 360, Zelda and others on people's tongues.

spudlyff8fan said:
Thing is that the existence of God of War 2 is nothing but proof that not even Sony knows when the PS3 is coming out, I think. I mean, both Nintendo and Microsoft have a handle on it. The fact that they're putting out such a high-profile game so far along in the PS2's, with so much hype surrounding the PS3...it is pretty much just a measure to keep a handle on the market.

I think i agrre with Spud on this a little. But I think they are putting it on the PS2 because they know that they are not gonna have the units they say they will have out. Indeed the system will launch in Nov but 1 million world wide come on. We would have a better chance at winning a million bucks then seeing sony pull that off. Truth is they Wont every one to be able to play GOW2 not just the Luck Basterds who get a PS3

Sony has to hold on to what they have. The PS3 right now is not looking too good, with their hype machine being pulled apart by the delay that Sony claimed wasn't going to happen, not to mention the price tag. Ken screwed up when he was quoted as saying that the PS3 "will make people work harder to buy it."

I want Sony in on this generation of gaming - but I don't want to pay $500+ for a Blu-Ray DVD player either.

As for God of War 2, I would rather have David Jaffe's vision of an Iron Man game and save GoW 2 for the PS3.

If I remember correctly (and just ignore me if I am wrong), but didn't Final Fantasy IX come out after or right before the PS2 launched? I believe it did, and it was to serve as a type of gap. It was a big name game for PS1 owners, but PS2 owners could still play it. I think that God of War 2 is suppose to serve the same purpose.

Square-Enix always puts out a whole lot of games on a console's last year. On the PS1 in the year 2000, they put out Chrono Cross, FF9, Xenogears and Vagrant Story. In 2006 they're putting out FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Drakengard 2. The difference is that the other consoles pretty much stop with 1st party support.

I don't see Microsoft doing that with the Xbox. In fact, I'm seeing a new twist - the same title, the same story, being told in two different manners on two different platforms.

Look at Ubi Soft's Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter and the differences between the 360 and Xbox versions.

Last edited:
Just watched the trailer for GoW II, looks pretty frickin' cool. The subtle improvements to the fighting system and the animations for the mini-game kills are just what the doctor ordered. The overall visuals look great, and overall it looks like nothing had been compromised (sigh), not to mention the griffin fighting at the end, sweet. But what is up with February release date? 10 month wait? The game looks great, but the anticipation sucks.

I have heard from a few people God of War is an awesome game. I, myself, really prefer online games, and I understand God of War is not online. So do you guys think I should go ahead and buy it or what? I am a shooter and some sport games type of guy myself... maybe a few racing games. Let me know.. also how much is it right now? 50?