game piracy, agree or disagree

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by thedude, Mar 14, 2016.

1. thedude

thedude New Member Registered

Do you think it's ethical to pirate games? I know I have pirated games to try out the single player, then buy the game if I want the multiplayer. However some games are only multiplayer. I do think its not the most moral thing to do, but its very tempting. Another problem is worrying about a virus you could get from pirated games.

2. joshposh

joshposh Member Registered

It is illegal and it doesn't help the game companies as they lose money with every person that doesn't buy the game because of pirated copies of a game.

With that being said, it is bad for the industry to have pirated games. It's the reason why the Sega Dreamcast took a early death. Once they cracked the games, it was straight to an early grave.

3. madetofly

madetofly New Member Registered

I think the main problem of piracy is the loss of quality. When companies are producing a game, they probably expect a certain number of people to buy it, so they spend a certain amount of money, as the number grows, the budget grows as well. If there was no piracy, the would be more people buying, and the game's quality would be better.

4. Animarchy

Animarchy New Member Registered

Well first off, I think people who pirate games on the regular, wouldn't be buying them in the first place. Back before I got to a point where I was making decent money, I would constantly pirate but nowadays I don't even have to consider it as an option. Secondly there are A LOT of older games that wouldn't exist today if they hadn't been pirated. Take the original Super Mario Bros. for example (and I didn't even know about this one till the last MyGamer video on YouTube). The version you buy from the Nintendo eShop is a rom that Nintendo pulled off a website. If not for piracy it would be gone, so I don't see piracy as this great evil that must be stopped. It's definitely a weird grey area so I'm neither going to condemn or praise it.