Free online?

And Japanese magazines are more credible sources than Nintendo itself why?

I understand that there were plenty of interviews, and I have read A LOT of them, but most of those interviews were met by a hearty, "No!" or, "Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation." from the Big-N.

Let it go. You don't know anything. Neither do I, and nor does anyone else.

Uhh...no. There's plenty of info available. More than enough to know that it's not gonna have a good online mode.

spudlyff8fan said:
Uhh...no. There's plenty of info available. More than enough to know that it's not gonna have a good online mode.
One things XBL CAN'T do is let me download demos to my DS... THAT'S an awesome online feature.

Wow, I haven't seen a good flame war since General Wiese was here...
But how bout we wait til the console comes out to try to prove each other wrong?
You know, just to be sure...:scared:

http://www.codenamerevolution.com/

Go there, man. Many pages deep in the trenches of fanboyism (how the hell can they think that Nintendo flat-out denying HD owners is good?) is the information I have that you seek. That site and about 30 other small-time, Wii-focused sites have it.

But yeah, downloading demos from the Wii to the DS is a nifty idea. It's great for the 360, so it's bound to be a helpful feature for the Wii, too.

(denying HD owners)

Well, it's good because it keeps the cost way down. Why would I spend $200-$400 extra on something whose extra worth I can't appreciate? $200 (or whatever) buys the same Wii for everyone, and it'll look the same for everyone. It's a cheap lightweight system for HD owners, (the tiny minority) who will buy it for the novelty of the controller, and a decent, low-priced system for the rest of us, who'll buy it cause we can afford it and cause the controller's neat. It's actually a good strategy. You have to alienate a market, you might as well alienate a small one, and keep your price insanely competitive. How is it NOT a good idea?

Uhh...making it HD compatible costs pennies to the manufacturers. Hell, you can buy the HD stuff for the 360 for $15.

The problem is, Basil, that there's that lag when you're playing non-HD consoles on an HDTV that Luda made a thread about. When HDTV becomes the forcible standard (also addressed in that thread) then the Wii will be made near-useless without a special TV or a whole lotta extra hardware.

I'm sure Nintendo has something up their sleeve to deal with the upcoming HD standardization (which is still 3 years away, mind you).

Trust me, money is saved. Developers probably save a tonne of cash by not making a game in HD. Not to mention being able to fit more on the media. And I'd have to assume that all that hardware that's making 360 and PS3 so expensive has something to do with the HD. The ports don't cost a lot, but the system has to be able to handle all the extra info at a good speed, right? Wii doesn't need to be as powerful, and can therefore be less expensive.

So magically, 3 years from now, I won't be able to play my Wii on the tv I've had running strong for 12 years? WOW! That's some power the standardization has. I remember seeing that they'll also have analog to digital converters or some such, so that old tvs, like mine and most people's, will be able to show a converted HD signal.

The Pocket said:
I'm sure Nintendo has something up their sleeve to deal with the upcoming HD standardization (which is still 3 years away, mind you).

Trust me, money is saved. Developers probably save a tonne of cash by not making a game in HD. Not to mention being able to fit more on the media. And I'd have to assume that all that hardware that's making 360 and PS3 so expensive has something to do with the HD. The ports don't cost a lot, but the system has to be able to handle all the extra info at a good speed, right? Wii doesn't need to be as powerful, and can therefore be less expensive.
Regardless, it would've been better for all of us if they just spent that extra $5 per console to make it HD compatible, which we WOULDN'T have to buy seperately. But the rising game-making costs is mainly because of the graphics and length. Need more people and more technology, so you need to pay more to make em. However, the HD compatibility (I believe) is in the console, except for some games on the Xbox. And the hardware costs also has almost nothing to do with HD.

And you'll be able to play all the Wii you want, on your old TV. You just won't be able to watch TV on it. And really, the transition will be like hooking up a laptop to a TV. Yeah, you'll see it. But it'll be more like moving impressionist paintings.

And this is coming from a guy who plans to get a Wii, and plays his Xbox 360 on a 13" non-flat screen TV. Nintendo just dropped another ball.

Last edited:
spudlyff8fan said:
http://www.codenamerevolution.com/

Go there, man. Many pages deep in the trenches of fanboyism (how the hell can they think that Nintendo flat-out denying HD owners is good?) is the information I have that you seek. That site and about 30 other small-time, Wii-focused sites have it.

But yeah, downloading demos from the Wii to the DS is a nifty idea. It's great for the 360, so it's bound to be a helpful feature for the Wii, too.

Nope. Searched the whole site. Maybe next time direct link something. If there is anything on there worth looking at, I didn't find it.

And I'm sure that Microsoft would have set a great example if they actually had a PORTABLE GAMING SYSTEM. Not just downloading crappy 360 games to ths stupid console.

And I can judge, I own one.

Psykanimucha, your avatar is hilarious. It took a split second for my brain to insert the "can't" that stems from the inactive button. Genius. Did you make it?

Also, I don't get your psychology, Spuds. You play a whole lot of video games (I assume because you enjoy them) and yet you spend 90% of your typing energy on this board complaining about them (especially Nintendo). So what gives, and why does Nintendo deserve so much of your derision. I don't think you're changing any minds here, you're just stirring a pot.

With respect, wouldn't it be more effective to refrain from buying a Wii? I don't understand how you can lambaste a product so vehemently, and then turn around and purchase it. That's addict behaviour, actually. You hate the drug, you warn others away from the drug, but you love the drug and must have the drug.

The Pocket said:
Psykanimucha, your avatar is hilarious. It took a split second for my brain to insert the "can't" that stems from the inactive button. Genius. Did you make it?

Also, I don't get your psychology, Spuds. You play a whole lot of video games (I assume because you enjoy them) and yet you spend 90% of your typing energy on this board complaining about them (especially Nintendo). So what gives, and why does Nintendo deserve so much of your derision. I don't think you're changing any minds here, you're just stirring a pot.

With respect, wouldn't it be more effective to refrain from buying a Wii? I don't understand how you can lambaste a product so vehemently, and then turn around and purchase it. That's addict behaviour, actually. You hate the drug, you warn others away from the drug, but you love the drug and must have the drug.
*ssssnnnnnnnnaaaap!*

The Pocket said:

I'm a very complex person, Basil. Like I said, I enjoy all the consoles. But I'm more than willing to point out every single fault in every aspect of the console. And they've made many mistakes. I mean if we were discussing Microsoft's attempts to gain support in Japan or Sony's stance on 2d gaming (which is already done, really), I'd be saying just how damn stupid they are too. Everybody's talking about Nintendo, and when somebody says they're doing something better than X Company, but they aren't, then I'm gonna say "no they aren't."

Nintendo's doing alot of things RIGHT with the Wii, but they're doing more stuff WRONG, yeah, the gameplay'll be great. Everything else, even based on precedent alone, is going to suck. And even if people are thinking it'll be good, in reality it probably won't be. The online isn't gonna be good (WiFi isn't feasible for consoles, especially since YOU GET A MUCH BETTER CONNECTION FROM A DAMN ETHERNET CORD), it'll lag to the point where it won't even be playable, not that you'll know it for a long time since there isn't a single online game for the Wii. Unless you count Red Steel. Which is gonna blow. Nintendo still isn't doing enough to make it appeal to the Madden & GTA gamer. It's a kiddy console, which departs occasionally, but thanks to Nintendo's deficient policies towards M-rated games, will never hold the appeal of the 360 or PS3. Nintendo is also discriminatory in its practices of slitting the throats of American devteams, taking their games and selling them (Rare, Silicon Knights, soon to be Retro). They're gonna make you buy enough accessories to make the 360 the cheaper alternative. The battery life is going to be sub-fruitfly for the controller.

But yeah, it's gonna have Smash Bros Brawl, a new Resident Evil and Metroid Prime 3. I'm gonna get it. But I'm gonna point out every single flaw in it.

Well, I'm finished.

I'm done trying to explain to you that you do not know anything. Nor does anyone else.

Please get over yourself.

Also, the Wii WILL be able to connect to the internet via USB-Ethernet cable.

spudlyff8fan said:
In which case...good.
And as discussed, wifi is sufficient for gaming as most connections out there, even some broadband (particularly DSL where upload is capped much lower than download), as the bottleneck is the bloody broadband connection, not the wifi.

My online gaming with the nintendo DS wifi had yielded no lag.