Fixing what's broken...

spudlyff8fan

Super Senior Staff
Registered
Jun 23, 2005
somewhere
The PS2 has so many buggy consoles out there. There is only one widely-known fix for it though, and that's the one where you open up the disk thing and turn the little white gear. Well, my PS2 is at present out of commission, and I can't get it to work. Every time I pop in a PS2 game is says "Cannot Read Disk". Obviously, that's worse than a Disk Read Error, because at least with those you know it reads the disk. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it can't read DVDs. PS2 games don't work, DVDs don't work, but PS1 games and Audio CDs do work, so the laser isn't actually broken.

Now, is there a home-style fix for my PS2, other than the little white gear (it didn't work)?

Other than sending it in to Sony to fix, the only solution I can think of is trying to find a place that sells new lasers because I doubt you'll be able to fix that. Worst case scenario, you could trade it in somewhere for a new one.

Reply to: spudlyff8fan:

The PS2 has so many buggy consoles out there. There is only one widely-known fix for it though, and that's the one where you open up the disk thing and turn the little white gear. Well, my PS2 is at present out of commission, and I can't get it to work. Every time I pop in a PS2 game is says "Cannot Read Disk". Obviously, that's worse than a Disk Read Error, because at least with those you know it reads the disk. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it can't read DVDs. PS2 games don't work, DVDs don't work, but PS1 games and Audio CDs do work, so the laser isn't actually broken.

Now, is there a home-style fix for my PS2, other than the little white gear (it didn't work)?

This (unfortunately) is a common issue with PS2 units. Calling Sony (800-345-7669) is a good start, as they've been known to sometimes fix Disc Read Error (DRE) problems for free (after shipping).

GameFAQs might have a home-based solution, if you look under hardware, but if you crack open your PS2, any chance of Sony helping you out would be lost.

Good luck!

Sony is generally useless, and i'm not willing to shill out 30 bucks just to have them tell me to send them shipping money. Also, as far as reliability goes, my GC is the best, with Xbox right behind. Ps2 is just terrible. Anyway, I'm not gonna send it in.