Elder Scrolls Online ( TESO) goes B2P

Azrile

Registered
Dec 7, 2014
Not sure if anyone cares, or caught the announcement... but TESO is going Buy2Play. You simply by the box for $50 and there is no longer a subscription. They will be adding DLC content that you can buy seperatly. There also will be a TESO-plus subscription where you pay a subscription and can access all the DLC content and also get some perks like faster leveling and some cash-shop currency each month.

Thanks for the update, I'm certainly interested in this new development! I've always heard sub-par reviews of TESO but I've always wanted to try it. I couldn't justify the subscription cost but now that its B2P, I might give it a shot!

I kind of wanted to pick it up, but I also heard it was kind of "meh". Kind of stupid addicted to/forgetting to play FFXIV and one of those games at the moment is way too many.

It's nothing like Skyrim, but it's by no means a really bad MMORPG. I'll probably pick it up when it goes on sale at ~$20-30 like Guild Wars.

It's nothing like Skyrim, but it's by no means a really bad MMORPG. I'll probably pick it up when it goes on sale at ~$20-30 like Guild Wars.

I said this a year before launch. I knew TESO was going to have problems just because of the two different groups of players who were going to join. There were going to be a huge amount of people coming from the single player games, especially Skyrim who would want open-world, slow exploration.... and then it was going to get a ton of players who had experience with MMOs, know how to ´beat them´ get to endcap and then grind dungeons and raids.

As expected, they tried to split the difference and left both groups unhappy. They game doesn´t feel anything like Skryim, and at the same time there is not nearly enough endgame loot driven content to keep those people happy.

I can't say I'm surprised; they made a complete mess of the game. It was very stupid of them to release a game with payment up front, followed by a subscription AND horse DLC. Although, I am very surprised that they didn't go full free to play, but I guess they need money.