Donkey Kong Country games virtually unchanged?

primalclaws1974

Registered
Dec 2, 2014
I enjoy the Mario franchise of games, including the Donkey Kong Country series. I played the original on Super Nintendo, and enjoyed it. The early version was way ahead of it's time. The graphics were great for a cartridge game. Fast-forward to the 2010s, and we see re-released versions that are almost exactly the same in gameplay and graphics. I realize there's only so much greater detail you can achieve on cartoon-like characters, but something should be added or the game loses appeal for old-timers like me. What do you think? Has the series improved through the years?

I played the heck out of all the DKC games: 1, 2, 3, 64, even the DK'94 on original GB. Unfortunately, 1-3 have not aged well as I recently tried to go back and re-play them. DK64 was never really a good game but DK '94 on GB is still great.

DK Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are super tough games. If you like that old school challenge, this is definitely the way to go even though the overall formula is still similar.

I love the DK Country games- I've used them to get my girlfriend into gaming with me and now we're making our way through all three. What I'm liking about them is that the original three evolved themselves in the 'team' type of play. They increasingly require you to switch out characters if you want to 100% the game, which I'm all for.

I would really like to play the newer installments to make a better opinion, but I would say if they made a new side scroller, I could really use some kind of "help" feature like they did in Mario Wii. Not only could it help you advance, it was really fun screwing my friends over with it.

As far as Donkey Kong, I feel like they have changed and I don't like it. I'm not sure why but I get bored of the one on the DS. Maybe it's because I don't like change but there's just something about it I don't like. I like Mario Party though. It's different than the Super Mario but in a good way.

As much as I love Donkey Kong I feel like the games have really gone away from where they started. Donkey Kong country games were really awesome. So were the racing games. Now all of the new Donkey Kong games have some kind of gimmick. Donkey Kong rhythm games. Donkey Kong games you only play with the shoulder buttons. Donkey Kong hockey. It's sad to see the series fall into oblivion. He's quickly going the way of Sonic.