Does the influx of younger games disturb you?

I don't really mind them that much. There are always annoying gamers in any age group; it's just that the vocal minority are so loud, you'd think there were more of them. I also think that expanding the demographic of a certain game will just lead to a bigger audience and their continued creation.

...then again, I'm saying this as someone with minimal experience playing with annoying tweens. Maybe my opinion will change if I encounter an exceptionally annoying group.

What disturbs me are two facts about the whole sitution:

1. The parents are allowing them to play games that AREN'T for they're age range. (These types usually later on blame video games from "messing up their kids lives" all because they didn't let them play suit approriate games.)

2. These same parents allow their kids to be ok with violent games, but gasp in horror when sexual themes are involved.

I hate people like that. They go about their lives in a bubble thinking that since Jr. is playing a game, he's ok, but he's actually curse like a sailor and thinking he's top gun because he's camping and killing everyone in his scope.

Where's the parenting?! Why are they not monitoring their kids?! UGH!

I think it's perfectly natural to get annoyed by people who are obviously too immature to handle losing etc. on an online game, but honestly people of all ages act immature. I think the bigger concern is knowing what their kids are saying, because when I was younger I never resorted to swearing or racist comments etc. If the parents could hear some of the stuff kids say these days, then they could do something about it, realize their kid isn't as perfect as they appear to be.

I do not have a problem with kids playing older games as long as they understand that these are just games. It is necessary to allow kids to be just kids. Kids today are on tight schedules that do not allow them to enjoy being young before the serious responsibilities come in.

I think it's completely fine.
Playing video games was a huge part of my childhood, and now that I'm older I can see that I might have played some games that I wasn't old enough for if you asked some more strict parents. It's all about what the parents deem ok and not okay, although you of course see some little idiots on big multiplayer games like COD or League of Legends. I think what it comes down to for me is more that the child has learned how to behave towards strangers on the internet: Being polite, trating others with respect, not being toxic towards other players, but this can be said for any age group really.

We were all kids once, and we were just as annoying. We just happen to interact less with other kids because we didn't have the internet. The mast of anonymity that comes with multiplayer gaming makes it easy for younger games to make crass remarks and get away with it. I feel like parents need to have a stronger presence so they're steered in a correct direction.

Today, there are many gamers who are around the "tween" age and even younger playing mature games like Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, etc. Most people find them to be annoying and immature, me included, and most honestly don't want them on such mature games. Does this disturb you at all?

I think that age group playing these more mature games is a very positive thing.

So many kids these age are just happy with Angry Birds or other mobile garbage. Kids at least playing real games gives me hope for the future of gaming. We need people playing real games in the future if we want anything of quality to be made.

Lets face it toys are just going to be a thing in the closet. You are going to see more kids nowadays have a Xbox 1 and a PS4 playing CODAW then playing with a Batman action figure. I still got toys in my closet and would like to get rid of. The games would be something that the kids would like to have in their room. I see pre-teens playing videogames more so these days since toys are just irrelevant. You have more than enough games now so it should not be a problem now getting one too many. Halo being the bread winner is one that the kids would like to play.

It does not bother me. I think with the times people learn new and different things as this industry progresses, what we can do today we were not doing 2 years ago what we were able to accomplish 2 years ago was unheard of 12 years ago. So with teh times programming languages evolve, new languages are made and with this new technology comes faster and better games.

I think that as voice chat becomes more and more integrated with online gaming, we as a community are just going to have to accommodate younger gamers. Granted, they might be annoying at times, but that's nothing some decent parenting shouldn't fix. As for the issue of younger children playing violent game's, that's also a parenting issue. Those games are explicitly marked Mature/MA15+/R18+. There is no excuse to have your child get a hold of something like GTA 5 if you take any basic care of your children

nah, I would prefer some 12 year old playing LOL or CoD and talking trash rather then some 30 year old who´s only major accomlishments in life are some CoD acheivements. Games are for kids, as adults, we should appreciate that.

I am not bothered by tweens playing more mature games. There are some talented young gamers out there. All are not immature and bothersome as those you may have encountered. Parents have to ensure their children are ready and mature enough to handle what the more mature games have to offer.

My problem isn't what games they play, as much as how they act when they play. I don't necessarily like the idea of 10 or 12 year olds playing very violent or sexually graphic games, but there's nothing I can do to stop it.

What I don't like is when they're in a multiplayer game and they're being obnoxious. I know young people who can be very composed, and I've also encountered some who are utter miscreants. The other thing that bothers me is when they get loud. At that age, their voices still have that very high pitched sound. It is literally ingrained into the human mind to be bothered by loud, high pitched whines and shouts. Some people can learn to ignore that. But not everyone is that saintly. If the young person can control themselves, turn down their mic, and not yell too much, then it's alright. But if they're going to be full on screamfest, then they can leave.

Reactions: Zyni
I'm not bothered by the idea of pre-teens and teens playing Mature-rated video games, but once you play with the wrong group of them, they're so god awfully annoying. They scream, they're bossy, they repeat the same cuss words every 30 seconds, and they're just not fun to play with at all. The main people who call you the most harsh names because your team beat theirs in CoD are 13 year olds. There are many pre-teens and teens that are very fun to play with, and are very good at gaming, but the immature ones make it easy to forget about the good ones.

Reactions: Zyni
Only if I have to hear them whine. I've been playing violent games since I was 10 when Diablo came out so I don't really think its anything new that young gamers are exposed to violence. If the kid is mature I honestly don't care how old they are.

I can't say that I have a problem with kids playing those sorts of games. I know I did when I was their age and I can't expect a whole lot else without first looking inward. That doesn't mean I like to play with them. They can get on my nerves pretty quick over a headset, but not all of them are that bad either. I just don't care for annoying people when I game regardless of age.

I've warned kids that if their parents saw what they were typing or heard what they were saying, they'd be in trouble. They usually just laugh at that. Some are like, "you sound like a parent." Yep, I am, and my kid would be so grounded if I observed that kind of behavior. Thankfully, she knows better. While I have seen her get a bit uptight during PvP, I've never seen her go too far (and I do pay attention). I've been known to get tense during PvP as well, lol, but I don't bash people over it. I'm more likely to yell at my monitor.

What disturbs me are two facts about the whole sitution:

...2. These same parents allow their kids to be ok with violent games, but gasp in horror when sexual themes are involved...

Absolutely. I find that so idiotic. I wonder if that's the feeling in France though? Anyone here French? Does the community at large accept violence but abhor sex or is that a primarily American thing?

Absolutely. I find that so idiotic. I wonder if that's the feeling in France though? Anyone here French? Does the community at large accept violence but abhor sex or is that a primarily American thing?

I'd prefer that neither one be over the top. Concentrate on good storytelling and game play and let the game sell itself instead of trying to sell it by way of gratuitous sex or violence.

As stated earlier, I have no idea why parents will let their kids play extremely violent games at such an early age. I've seen 7 year olds playing Call of Duty and it makes no sense to me. I would not let my kids play that until they were in at least middle school.