Do you trade in old games or sell them?

daniel hancock

Registered
Mar 9, 2015
I have looked into this in great detail before selling my games, just to get the best value I can for old games that I do not play anymore.

Some shops offer a trade in scheme where you get gift cards for their store, but they tend to offer much more than selling the game privately which is great if you want new games to replace them.

Which do you prefer to do?

I used to always trade them in because I'd be looking to get new games to replace them, but that's just me.

Typically I keep a hold of all the games that I buy although there have been occasions where there were certain games that I had purchased that I hated so much or were riddled with so many bugs that I sold them as I knew I would likely never play them again and was at least able to recoup some of my money back.

Most of my purchases are digital so I can't trade them in or sell them, which is a bit of a shame. However digital copies tend to be cheaper, and I can always download them to replay for nostalgia.

I also tend to only have digital copies, in fact I haven't put one disc in the ps4 yet, but that's just because of the convenience aspect of it.
For the ps3 I always used to trade in as I also mainly wanted to buy a different game rather than have the cash in my pocket.

It depends. We'd trade them in all the time to get new ones but a couple of things happened
1-sometimes we'd want to play an old game for fun...and no longer had it
2-the store was giving way too low for trade-ins so we started selling them instead
3-see number 1 LOLOL

Then I said to let's just keep them as part of our game collection. That hopefully we'd have a kid some day who may want to play. And since I'd kill to play on an Atari again, it'd be cool for our kid to start from the earlier consoles.

I tend to keep my favorite older games just to replay them. It's kind of nice to have a nice library to keep around, and pick up something that I hadn't played for five years just to kind of relax, and enjoy it once more. If I HAVE to sell a game though for any sort of reason (usually to fund another game) then I tend to just sell them through either craigslist services, or through friends. They tend to buy my old copies for a good price. Usually between $15-$20, whereas trading it in usually only nets me dimes to the dollar, and I don't get near enough back in return.

Almost everything I buy now is digital, so this isn't really an issue... But even when I only bought physical games I never sold them back. I liked looking at them on my shelf, and I think used games overall hurts the industry so I don't support that market in any way.

I don't. There's no reliable store chain for trade-ins near me, and driving to one would cost me the same - or more - as I would get, so it's not worth it. And it's not really worth trying to sell it online either, too much of a hassle for a few b ucks.

I've never tried selling my old cartridges before.I don't know if we have any trade shops in our area. I have a lot of old SNES cartidges and PC titles for the 90's. Maybe I should try looking into it.

I'm a bit of a hoarder, so tend to keep my old games. The ones that I would want to sell would get me so little it's not really worth the trouble. If I absolutely know neither me or my kids will play a game again, I usually just toss it in a Goodwill box and am done with it.

Reactions: thatnewmommy
I have looked into this in great detail before selling my games, just to get the best value I can for old games that I do not play anymore.

Some shops offer a trade in scheme where you get gift cards for their store, but they tend to offer much more than selling the game privately which is great if you want new games to replace them.

Which do you prefer to do?
I have mostly PC games since you cannot sell those unless you use Ebay. Console games you can sell them but you would not get that much from a local store so again Ebay is a must.

I have mostly PC games since you cannot sell those unless you use Ebay. Console games you can sell them but you would not get that much from a local store so again Ebay is a must.
I agree, Ebay is the best route if you are looking to sell your games for money. I do find that Amazon has some pretty good trade-in prices from time to time also and given that I do buy more than my fair share of games from Amazon, this is as good as cash.

We don't have that many stores here where you could trade your games so I mostly just keep them or trade them with friends. I mostly just buy digitally nowadays anyway so it's not such a problem for me to resell them but back when I used to have much more of a collection trading with my circle of friends was the best way to go for me.

With a lot of people now I'd imagine choosing to download rather than buy a disc, I think the days of trading in old games might be coming a thing of the past anyway.
Of course the down side to that is if less people are trading in games then the prices of games is going to remain quite high I'd imagine.

Well, not gonna tell you a whole story.
I'm too lazy to go to the store to trade them ;I

With a lot of people now I'd imagine choosing to download rather than buy a disc, I think the days of trading in old games might be coming a thing of the past anyway.
Of course the down side to that is if less people are trading in games then the prices of games is going to remain quite high I'd imagine.
I read an article a few months back that stated recent shows that physical video game sales dropped around 17 percent in the first 11 months of last year compared to 2013. Meanwhile, digital sales jumped 23 percent. The trend to moving towards physical game sales versus digital is also born out by the fact that mobile gaming revenue is poised to overtake console gaming in 2015.

Before digital games became a thing and became more popular, I used to trade in or sell any games I no longer wanted and had played through to get money for newer games.

Now with digital being so popular, I tend to buy digitally now and trading in games or selling them now is something I don't think about as much anymore.

Unfortunately, I have never sold any of my old games for any reason and it's simply because I am always attached to anything that I have purchased especially my games. What I've done with them was gave them out to my cousins and relatives who are interested in playing those games because I will never sell them.

Since I started playing video games, I have never managed to sell any of my old games.

The only thing I normally do is to give the games out to my cousins and relative who are interested in playing the game I am no longer willing to play.