Do you miss the annoying music?

I really think a lot of the music for the older systems were pretty awesome. They got me pumped and were instantly recognizable. Most of the music used in video games these days (especially when it comes to long running series) are just updated versions of these songs.

It is of course subjective and varies from game to game, but I do naturally consider music to be an important part of any video game. Perhaps as important as graphics and game play, even.

I would even go so far as to so that the quality music is part of what games like the Super Mario, Mega Man, Castlevania, Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Legend of Zelda, etc franchises timeless classics. (To name particularly notable, salient examples in my opinion.)

My nostalgia for such 8-and-16 bit games, and their MIDI scores, played throughout my formative years moreover clearly shaped my current tastes in music vis-a-vis my love for electro-industrial, chip tune, IDM, synth pop, and other such musical genres.

I do get a bit of nostalgia since a lot of the 8-bit stuff was pretty well done. Today's music plays updated versions of the original tunes so they'll always be the same, just a little more fleshed out. We'll always know the classic games because of the melody alone.

I love 8 and 16bit music. And while I don't usually listen to game OSTs myself, I definitely don't mind when the music is playing, I really enjoy most of it. I also love chiptunes in general.

Do I miss it? I mean, it never went away, so no, I don't. There's a ton of chiptune artists still, and a lot of games that have oldschool aesthetics. But I definitely love the music. :)

I remember that, in some games the music was not really great and the game was irritating as the music was annoying you compared to nowadays games which are at the right tune. I think if the music was put in properly and graphics more good looking more games would have been more enjoyable. to listen to while playing. I did enjoy some games like The jungle book, Sonic and some racing games which did well in the sega system and were enjoyable to play and listen too which did make you want to play more.

Sega music used to annoy the heck out of me, but I do miss it. I think I'd love to hear it again... at least for a minute or two... before it drives me mad!

Same here. When I hear an old annoying song I laugh a little and then after about a minute I'm like UGGGHHHHH :D:mad:

Yes sometimes, can't help but smile and shake my head whenever I randomly hear old game themes or be reminded by tune that sounded similar.

It's funny how we can remember the old music. There's something about the limited tools the developers and composers had to create music which maybe forced them to create something catchy. Music which is so catchy can become timeless--or maybe that's my sense of nostalgia coming through...

I actually enjoy most of the SNES music. It's simple, a remembrance, and also helps set the mood for what I am playing. My son and I enjoy playing "beat box" with the classic games--sometimes the hubby joins in too. But I also like the evolved/matured versions of this music. There are even some pretty interesting remixes out there as well c:

Reactions: dyanmarie25
I'm not talking about any old games' music. To me most of them were annoying. Just like those old cellphones' ringtones. But do you miss them now? Or are you glad they're gone forever?

There are still days when I will have old video game tunes in my head, even though I haven't played that game in forever! One catchy, annoying tune is the music of Tetris. I seem to get it in my head when I get really tired and cannot sleep. As you might have guessed, it only makes the problem worse. Whoever came up with the Tetris tune was a madman!

I actually enjoy most of the SNES music. It's simple, a remembrance, and also helps set the mood for what I am playing. My son and I enjoy playing "beat box" with the classic games--sometimes the hubby joins in too. But I also like the evolved/matured versions of this music. There are even some pretty interesting remixes out there as well c:

Thank you for sharing that video to us here. It makes me remember the good old days. :)

Man there are a lot of great soundtracks for old games. Think about Final Fantasy 3 and games like Earthbound on SNES. The phones you say they sound like are probably using Midi files. The great thing about games is how they did so much with such limited technology, and I still like to listen to old school gaming music on Youtube.