Do You Buy Games On Day-one Release?

I rarely buy games when they are released. Not because of any bug issues but because the prices are ridiculous. I get that you want to play Madden 17 online with your friends as soon as possible but for God's sake you know that thing is going to be like 10 dollars in July.

A lot of games now a days are released with many issues, bugs or just incomplete and the only game I got the same day it was released was MGS GZ, because I was sure it would be a smooth experience. Especially AAA titles are suffering from this ''out asap'' syndrome.

A lot of games now a days are released with many issues, bugs or just incomplete and the only game I got the same day it was released was MGS GZ, because I was sure it would be a smooth experience. Especially AAA titles are suffering from this ''out asap'' syndrome.

Completely true. With games such as Call of Duty being a prime example. They put so much effort into the 'marketing' side of the game, than the game itself. Which makes no sense... I'm more inclined to buy a game based on the actual video gameplay being good rather than some scrubbed-up marketing material that has been edited to make it look good.

I refuse to buy first release anything, so no I don't buy games on release day. First release anything (console, games, etc) will always have some sort of bug or glitch or something that will need patching. I'd rather wait and buy it later, and have a game that already has the patch in it, then have to keep patching it myself.

I buy almost all of my games day one, even if I don't plan on playing them right away. Otherwise there is just too good of a chancs I'll forget about getting the game at all.

I think soon as games are released they can be fairly overpriced. It is quite rare that I will buy games on the first day of release because of the price and also because of some of the queue you have to wait in to get it if it is a popular game!

The only game I have bought that was on the first day of release was Destiny, just because I had read so much about it that I did not want to wait, but other than that I tend to wait a few weeks until the price comes down a little, or I buy it second hand to get it cheaper still.

I kind of used to buy games on release and sometimes even pre-order them. But after some dissapointing experiences like Rome 2, Civilization Beyond Earth, Assassins Creed Unity and Mafia 2, I promised myself to always look for reviews and try to demo the game befor buying it.

2014 taught me to wait but, like most, I learned the hard way. I made the mistakes - arguably minor blunders - of preordering Destiny then Evolve, both of which were lacking in content and relied on grind-based achievements for replayability. Luckily, both games were somewhat decent mechanically and production-wise, however I don't revisit them as much as I'd convinced myself I would.

There's such a vast catalog of excellent discounted games out there that I'm attempting to discover firsthand this year. "Last years' best" and the like should do well to tide me over til that Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, Bloodborne anticipation wares off and the reviews come out.

2014 taught me to wait but, like most, I learned the hard way. I made the mistakes - arguably minor blunders - of preordering Destiny then Evolve, both of which were lacking in content and relied on grind-based achievements for replayability. Luckily, both games were somewhat decent mechanically and production-wise, however I don't revisit them as much as I'd convinced myself I would.

There's such a vast catalog of excellent discounted games out there that I'm attempting to discover firsthand this year. "Last years' best" and the like should do well to tide me over til that Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, Bloodborne anticipation wares off and the reviews come out.
I did not buy any games in 2014 since I was busy doing other things like job hunting. The poor thing is that when you do not have a job then you cannot buy the games you want. If you do have a job then the games you want to buy are numerous. It's hard to decide what games to get. I have not played Wolfenstein New Order since I do not have that strong of a computer yet. I see the ads on TV for the game Evolve and it does look sick, but I would like to see the gameplay before I consider it. Maybe I would look for that kind of footage on Youtube. The new Doom game I am uncertain what is going on with that right now. Resident Revelation 2 looks interesting I think it is about time that we know what Barry is up to. Have not seen him nor Claire in a long time. I just wish that Capcom give HUNK a better presence in the later RE games instead of just making him a character for the Mercenary mini game.

I rarely buy games when they are released. Not because of any bug issues but because the prices are ridiculous. I get that you want to play Madden 17 online with your friends as soon as possible but for God's sake you know that thing is going to be like 10 dollars in July.
Me too. I'm not too excited to play new games or at least not enough that I'd want to pay that much extra just so I could play it just as it's released. I prefer to just wait a few months and get it for cheaper because I find it more practical.

Nope, never. Most I have done was pre-order Poker Night at the Inventory 2, but that was more for the Team Fortress 2 items, and it was more like paying for the items, not for the game. Since then, I have never pre-ordered a game, and have always at least waited for reviews before jumping on a game.

I used to. I used to be one of those people you saw queing up outside the store at midnight waiting for it to be released. But not anymore.
The amount of times I've been disappointed and let down by games I now tend to hold back and wait at least a few days or till the reviews come in before I buy.

I don't buy that many games total, maybe like 3-5 per year. It's because of this that I research the games well before release, and tend to know what games I want. I base my opinions of the game from what I've seen and played myself, and don't really pay attention to reviews. So yes, I buy almost all of my games at release or within a week from release.

Nope. Never. Not worth the hassle, and most of the time, not worth the money. Especially since sales start from a month after the game release.

There are two excellent reasons as to why one shouldn't buy video games, or any other technological product, as soon as they're initially released: avoiding the highly marked up initial prices, and avoiding the bugs and other such issues that haven't yet been resolved. (Those are two wounds that time actually does heal!)

In certain cases, there's also a third great reason: avoiding the indignity of camping outside of the Apple Store! ;)

I used to. I used to be one of those people you saw queing up outside the store at midnight waiting for it to be released. But not anymore.
The amount of times I've been disappointed and let down by games I now tend to hold back and wait at least a few days or till the reviews come in before I buy.
The good old days! These days pre-ordering games to ensure you get the game on release day is so much easier as it can all be done online although I do think this takes away some of the fun and the excitement surrounding the release date.

It definitely takes out a lot of the excitement. Now its just a case of buying, downloading and voila! All done...well, depending on the game od course, sometimes its faster to queue up than download.
The dreaded 'download failed' message at 98%...

In the past few years, there were some memorable events where large or AAA companies that released games with glaring bugs or glitches. Rome 2, Assassins Creed: Unity, and so on had issues immediately after launch that people are starting to shy away from buying games on release. I have never bought a game on release, even if I was tempted.

Do you but games on release or not? Can you give examples of game breaking bugs on various games? Are developers relying on patches? So many questions. I guess it comes with the fact that games are getting more complex now.

I have never purchased a game on it's release day. For the most part, I wait until the price of the game comes down a little bit or until I can buy the game used to save some money. By waiting and checking the reviews, I have also found that sometimes the game ends up not being as good as I thought it would, and therefore I will end up not purchasing it at all. This is especially the case for games that are sequels of each other, that may offer little, if any improvements on the earlier editions.

I've never bought a game on release day. I tend to wait anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months to buy something. With the WoW expansions I wait at least a month. I figure that all the bugs will be worked out via patches by then. I'd rather let the first buyers find all the bugs instead of me having to deal with them.

It really all depends if I'm a huge fan of the franchise/developer or not. Most of the time, I usually wait a good month or so to get it and in the meantime, look at videos on the game to see if it is worth the money they are asking for and if I should wait for patches if the game appears to be broken in some way. It took me a good year or so just to buy Fallout 3 and I only did it because Bethesda put out Broken Steel so you can play after the main quest was over. If they didn't do that, I would have never bought the game. It's also why I refused to buy New Vegas though it was given to me later as a gift.