Displacement Mapping to bypass need for expensive hardware?

Well, if the Revolution can end up with as much graphical finesse as the 360 or the PS2, and keep at the sub-300 price tag, that'd kick ass.

Even so, I think with the relatively weak graphical power, any little addition is good. Also, the displacement mapping is patented by Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft might have a knockoff of it, but not the real thing.

Most likely, Nintendo patented a process that's used for their specific hardware. So it's not something that nobody else can use, and it's not like there's an "original, best" method. Later methods should actually be more sophisticated. But it's an interesting development, and I wnat to see what kind of jump it will casue in graphical display.

heheh.

I'm not one to get hung up about graphics. As long as the games don't overstep the console's bounds. Or unless the models are loose and unwieldly.

I'm more about the physics in the game being somewhat ratifiable in my mind. If I'm climbing a ladder, my feet and hands had better be resting on the rungs, not in the space between. You know what I mean.

Well, here's an article that gives us a better idea of the strategy behind Revo.

I think it will work. By the time it is released, developers will still be learning how to make games for PS3 and maybe they still won't quite have their 360 technique under wraps. If games are going to be that easy to make for Revo, we'll see a lot more games, a lot faster. Selection. Something XBox doesn't typically pride itself in. We'll see about PS3.

spudlyff8fan said:
I'm kinda getting fed up with the total and complete lack of graphical display by Nintendo.

Umm... have you played anything besides Mario games on your 'cube? Games like the Resident Evils & Wave Race? There are quite a few nice looking games on the Gamecube.

RaidOverRiver1.jpg

RaidOverRiver3.jpg

RaidOverRiver.jpg

Those actually proved to be a cancelled Japanese PC game, BC. I'm unsure how they ended up being examples of the Rev, but they aren't them (according to some Nintendo staff).

AjaKun said:
Umm... have you played anything besides Mario games on your 'cube? Games like the Resident Evils & Wave Race? There are quite a few nice looking games on the Gamecube.

I realize that Spuds wasn't talking about graphical deficiencies on the Cube, but I never pass up a chance to talk about Metroid. The graphics in Echoes were absolutely amazing. The detail in the environments was unreal. While I have not played RE4, which many say has impressive graphics as well, Echoes, for me, sets the graphical standard on the ole Cube.

I don't think that would bother me. I still think Super Metroid and Riven have amazing graphics. If it's a good game, it's a good game, and it will remain so if I ever play it. But since you recommended it, I probably won't play it. My cat told me not to trust people in beards.