diamonds and pearls

I have to agree with Spuds on this one. When I was writing up that Pearl/Diamond preview, I was kind of appalled at the PokeMon they're spewing out now. After RBY, I started to like the starters/new Pokemon less and less. I wonder how many legendaries the Pokemon franchise is up to now anyway; it's gotta be a pretty good number considering one or two comes out with every version.

And Grantastic, the flaming monkey would only be awesome if one of its attacks was to throw flaming poo. Case closed.

They're making new Pokemon for the same reason there's a Final Fantasy XII.

Because everyone and their mother will buy it.

And everyone and their mother will love it all over again. The rabid collector in everyone will be summoned, and everyone who gives it more than a couple hours will suddenly think to themselves "I <i>do</i> want to catch them all." Despite getting formulaic and repetitive, there is still fun to be had. And after 15 hours, most people will realize they're playing the same game again, and frown at the $30 or $35 dollars they paid for the game.

And sadness will rain upon the heads of gamers across the world, until hype begins building for the next installment.

As long as the cow will give, Nintendo will milk it. This is the company that still makes Donkey Kong, Super Mario, Metroid, and Legend of Zelda games, though each series was starting the mid 1980's. And only one of these series saw any significant change in that time.

Nintendo knows how to squeeze, much like SquareEnix. And a smart squeeze can make a brand last as long as memory.