Darkest Dungeon

Ardyvee

Registered
Feb 7, 2015
A few days ago, Darkest Dungeon was released on Steam Early Access. According to the Steam Webpage, it is "a challenging gothic roguelike turn-based RPG about the psychological stresses of adventuring", in which you have to train a party of adventurers a clear dungeons that get progressively harder and grimmer.

From the very little I have seen from streamers, the game seems great. First, it seems fun to play. The position mechanic that they added on top of a very turn based DnD-esque game-play along with the stress mechanic is very refreshing, specially when compared to other games in the market. The way that the game ties mechanics and personality with the quirks is also very refreshing in video games (not many games do them). From being unable to relieve stress in certain ways because the character fears god, to swearing never to consume alcohol again. Being a masochist (which has effects in combat).

To me, the game seems great and I can't wait to play it as soon as I have a chance.

What have been your impressions?

It can seem really unfair, but once you get the mechanics down and understand how to manage your stress it becomes a lot of fun. Sure you will still have those BS moments were a boss dodges a very important attack or resists your stun, but for me at least the fun factor is bigger than the frustration.

I also have to say that for an Early Access game this game is extremely polished and not light on content. I have been playing for 50 hours and have not beat all the bosses yet. And it's looking good for the future, too. The developers mentioned wanting to add at least 2 more classes and possibly more regions on top of the actual "Darkest Dungeon" that is currently not available in Early Access.

It looks really promising, but I'm not supporting Early Access titles on Steam, I want to make sure that I get a finished product that I enjoy. I'll probably pick it up when it's finalized.

It can seem really unfair, but once you get the mechanics down and understand how to manage your stress it becomes a lot of fun. Sure you will still have those BS moments were a boss dodges a very important attack or resists your stun, but for me at least the fun factor is bigger than the frustration.

I also have to say that for an Early Access game this game is extremely polished and not light on content. I have been playing for 50 hours and have not beat all the bosses yet. And it's looking good for the future, too. The developers mentioned wanting to add at least 2 more classes and possibly more regions on top of the actual "Darkest Dungeon" that is currently not available in Early Access.

Yeah, that's what everyone's impression seems to be. Makes me excited for when I actually get to play it. And hearing that it's challenging and requires you to learn the mechanics to succeed sounds like my cup of tie (even if every now and then the dice just screws with you).

I do have one question, though. Does the game introduce any new mechanics as it progresses, or cool spells, or is it simply stat increases?