Companies forcing us to play online?

I always had this joke that Xbox 360 was only a XBox 180 without internet connectivity. All of the cool features were found online, even on handhelds like the PSP. I don't really think we are being "forced" to play online, I think that it's a matter of all the cool features being available online. Online gameplay has changed gaming so much that there is just no way that we can go back. It would be like going back to dial-up after years of high-speed internet.

I don't like games that require online connection to play or microtransactions either (I ignore microtransactions). Though I support DLC that extends gameplay (we don't really have a choice do we? Everything's DLC now) like additional songs (Dance Central) and chapters. Never bought costume and character DLC because that should be unlockable items (explains why I didn't buy DOA5 and why I love Harada of Tekken). I'm okay with online matches as long as the internet connection is fast. I guess I value offline games because I tend to game by myself and I don't want to always move my console to the living room. Our internet connection doesn't reach my room on the third floor so it's kinda annoying to move my console downstairs to play online or download stuff. I can't leave my console in the living room because I have two of them (where do I put them permanently?) and I prefer gaming on a comfy bed than a sofa. I can't move the DSL modem either because it would have no place in the second floor (Stupid thing only reaches two floors. I can't ask people to rearrange furniture in the rooms on the second floor just because of my selfish reasons. I can't put chords on the wall if the bed's blocking it). I prefer games with different modes like story then online matches. I guess the only time I'm purchasing online multiplayer only games like Plants VS Zombies Warfare something (I forgot), etc. is when the internet connection is all mine. *cue evil laugh*

Ahem. Anyway, I think it's the right of the developers if they want to make their game purely online or not and I respect that. As for next gen and those to come, I still need the money to buy my own HD television and console so yeah I don't worry too much for now. It would suck if the cool features or majority of games in the future is pure online but if I really want the game, I have no choice but to adjust. Or transfer to PC instead hehe.

Last edited:
Do you guys at least see the irony in complaining online about having to go online?

Inflation. The fact that the prices of games have not gone up that much is because of digital download. WIthout DD we would be at $80 per game.

And again, if it was easy to thwart piracy in other ways, devlopers would be doing it. Remember, they are competing against each other, and if one of them thought the benefits of marketing a game ´offline gameplay´ outweighed the loss from piracy, you would see developers marketing their games that way... but you don´t.. which means the logical conclusion is that piracy would cost the company more money than offline-mode marketing would bring in.

Again, keep posting in game forums and congratulate piratebay and talk about how éveryone ´ steals so it is ok for you to do it. Gamers brought this on themselves by supporting those type of sites.

Have you noticed how these companies are trying to make us play online to maximize their revenue as well as to curb piracy? It's impossible to pirate an online game. Besides that, they can always impose the micro transactions and various other tactics to milk as much as they can. What do you think about that?
It's cheaper to force people to play online, plus the material that is saved probably helps the environment out in some way. It's not a bad idea. I personally don't pirate games, especially console games, it's to much of a process, at least for me.

I certainly don't like it. But on the other hand I really understand why they do it. It's a business just like any other business. They need to make money, and forcing online is one way to try to reduce pirating.

I think it's kind of dirty, especially because the actual CONSUMER has to suffer for it as online based platforms tend to suffer from instability and such. It's just a shame, but again. They have to make money or there would be no game in the first place.

Have you noticed how these companies are trying to make us play online to maximize their revenue as well as to curb piracy? It's impossible to pirate an online game. Besides that, they can always impose the micro transactions and various other tactics to milk as much as they can. What do you think about that?
I have also noticed this new trend and i think it's intended to generate revenue to those companies.Though they have good intentions(curbing piracy)not many gamers are going to find this convenient.

There are a bunch of things that seem to be interconnected, some bad, some good. With Blizzard, Obviously they need you to be online to combat piracy, but then they also use it to create their own social-network and force you to use it, then they offer microtransactions, and finally they can cross promote their games easier. It is just the way it is going to be. No major companies have made a marketing push to be ´offline´ so all the major companies, and all the newer companies really have nothing to lose by doing it. Unless a company successfully markets themselves as offline-mode, it is just going to be entrenched and soon we won´t even be talkign about it.