Blu-Ray/HD-DVD VS. DVD

I'm tempted to not do what I did with DVD: buy a player when they cost $400+. I might wait until either HD or Bluray drop to about $30 (CAD), which my most recent DVD-player cost brand new.

Hmmm... I hope that $30 thing doesn't shut down on you.

I have come to the conclusion (after returning multiple purchases due to defects) that you have to spend a minimum of $100 on a device if you expect it to last past the end of the warranty.

I actually had a $60 DVD player explode on me, with a rented disc inside!

Speaking of DVD players, I have a 5 disc player that takes for ever to open up. Should I prehaps clean it or open it up to check the drive.

If it takes forever to open, I wouldn't be too concerned. Shouldn't affect how dvds play, no?

to be honest i dont care too much for a blu-ray or HD-dvds, what i think will happen is that the consumer will most likely buy a cheeper one, and then another breed of DVDS will arrive. and then the ones the people bought will just become outdated.... again

Yeah, Billy Gates didn't seem too concerned about it when he was questioned. He seemed to think that it won't matter in a few years because everyone will simply download movies. XBL is an example of what the future could hold. Of course that is dependant on file sizes, internet connectivity, etc.

Okay so as I have been board the lst few hours or so. I decided to check on this new war. I went and got some info from sites just speaking about the new format. I also went to Curcuit City and Best Buy.com to read a few reviews. From the looks of it, it's 50/50. But being that you really can't trust the reviews but we'll just say you can.

Most of the consumers state that have both systems. I read under the Samsung player some said the HD player is better. Or there is really no difference. And vice versa with the HD player. All in all it really count's on what you as the buyer thinks is better. As i was reading some crap on IGN the letters or something. One guy said as a human we all feel that we need to force our opion onto others and in which we have system wars. So no matter what companies say or want to hapen it's all in US the buyer. Which ever we take side to is what will become the more..........standard. So we can wage war all we want. But once the HD player is out for the 360 and the PS3 is out we may start to see more of a shift in the market. I think the sucess of the DVD was due to the fact of the PS2 as to with this new format.

That is why I say Sony is putting everything on the PS3. If the PS3 does like the PS2 did then Blu-Ray may take off. Or it can still flop. The PS3 can do well but Blu-Ray wont, or vise versa. But for MS it's just and investment. Which I think is a smart move. By not really jumping on board with HD-DVD it gives them the chance on the wait and see.

But all in all right now there are 2 HD players to the 1 Blu-Ray. These first generation ones are not so great but we have to see. Only problem everyone has is the load times. It takes average 20-30 seconds for the player to boot up. Another 30-40 for the DVD to boot. Ture it's not that long but still this is the only MAJOR problem people have had.

We've been mostly speaking of blu-ray and HDDVD in two different ways. First has been in the console wars (since as gamers, that is on most of our minds), then there has been the players for our TV's. There is the third as it applies to PC usage.

Which market will be the one to ultimately tip the scales one way or another? Of course they are all interrelated, but there will be one that drives the new tech the most.

I don't think it will be the players for TV's. Many video stores are already going the way of the dodo due to the ability to simply order movies on your satellite or cable TV. They try to blame it on piracy, but I'm not so sure about that. Here's a consumer thought: "I just spent a grand on a wicked TV, and you want me to drop how much on a stupid player? I already have HD ESPN, what do I care?"

The one to push it will probably be PC's. If you can get some programs that absolutel need the storage space of a blu-ray or HD, then it will be bought. That's why I bought a DVD burner in the first place. My CD burner just wasn't able to handle all the info I wanted to store.

You make a nice point there Joans. We been yapping on and on about the gamers and the yuppies. But what about the PC buyers. how does this help them ot affect them buying a new CPU or Laptop. We all know the Vaio's have Blu-Ray in them. Also the fact of TV in HD does hurt the sale of the players. I mean really it's not many movies to watch on the new formats. No Spiderman. Not even the Matrix. THE MATRIX + The PS2 is what help launch DVS's into ever home. If they had a big title out for the format now then we'd be talking bout that. There's No Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins, Sin City. I mean all the movies of recent that were great or box office hits are no where to be found. Ultraviolet, Doom, Underwolrd, and oldies like Terminator 1&2. nothing wrong with any of them (but Doom). But i'm not gonna pay extra for a not so great movie just because it looks better.

Further research has yielded that Blu-Ray will be good for PCs (huge storage amounts of whatever data you want) but HD might win for home entertainment use (tonnes of standards... that alone helps).