Blu-Ray/HD-DVD VS. DVD

PrinceLUDA21

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
Philly
Okay I need a new thread to fight this battle on. For those of you who have followed this debate on the PS3 thread I'm uping the battle here.

So to you no knowing of this debate I'll lay this out for you. Do you think that the NOW Standard DVD will die off an Blu-Ray and or the HD-DVD will become the new standard?

I think not. Unless the consumer the avarge consumer is behind this movement it will not become standard. Unlike Spud's who thinks those people will have no choice.

Well here's something to think about YOU MUST MAKE A CHOICE ON WHICH FORMAT IS FOR YOU. You can not watch your HD-DVD on a Blu-Ray Player or vise versa right? Well now how about you bought a BLu-Ray player got a HDTV and want to watch a HD movie. But guess what The Movie you want is only out on the HD-DVD format what to Do. You just wasted $1000 on the BLu-Ray and can not even watch your movie.

I would love to agree with you, but I already have seen signs that the DVD format is already dying. Take Walmart. a few months ago I went into my local store and found two full walls of DVD's.. This weekend, I went back and found 1 wall. The other side had been replaced with HDDVD and BluRay.. This is within 2 months time. I am confident the average consumer will be forced to upgrade.

I have no doubt that the consumer will be forced to upgrade. But here's the thing to which upgarde will that be forced to which format is the problem i see. I mean if HOllywodd is backing the HD dvd then why are companise taking up different sides of the spectrum. Spiderman 3 will be no doubt Blu-Ray. But what if I don't have a Blu-Ray player or a PS3. I only have and HD-DVD player. What am I to do. That is why the standard DVD will not die becuse that is reason why VHS is still out there.

I mean my Goddfellas HD wont work on my PS3 It's like tell the consumer either chose this format or this one. But having both is stupid and the Avrage consumer will not be making that type of money.

Interesting. Canada is usually an early adopter of new tech. (earlier than the US, in most cases - no one has had dial-up in Canada for about 4 years now), but I see very little Blu-Ray and HD-DVD presence in stores.

The first initial launch of the HD-DVD player and discs were ok but not mind blowing. Until the PS3 comes I can’t say for sure on the Blu-Ray. But the majority of the folks buying a PS3 that I know do not have and HDTV with HDMI or anything. So why should they buy a Blu-Ray DVD.

I’m in a fairly poor neighborhood most of the people I see everyday can’t even afford cable. Items like HDTV is for the rich or the ones who can afford it. It’s not set in the market for consumers who are the majority. It is those consumers who make the sells not the rich. I spoke with my dad on the matter this weekend. He told me that he will not be buying either because of the price. And he can afford either. I mean that nice 50” HDTV that he has can support 1080i and my 360 looks great on it. But he cars not for the $499 HD-DVD player just to see movie. And that’s what sells it must be affordable. And buy there being two formats it’s making it harder for the consumer to be forced on to just one. And in turn makes it hard for the market to shift to both formats. I mean companies will have to decided who to back an hope it goes will or they will lose money. Remember Laser Disc

Sony has done this exact thing in the past. They tried to compete with CD with their MiniDisc and failed. CD was basked by the music industry which drives the market. Movies are driven by Hollywood, it is the same scenerio just another year for Sony. 1080P?? For what? Actors will not allow themselves to be filmed at this high of quality to begin with 480p is all you need anyway!!!!

Regardless, Sony will have to understand that HDDVD if backed by Hollywoord is the standard and they will have to take their movies to both platforms.

That is the point I have been trying to make for the longest time. Maybe I've been saying it the wrong way. But Stan has proven part of my point. The Hollywood must back one format and not both. Other than that the consumer can not be forced to one format. Blu-Ray will not replace DVD, HD-DVD could replace DVD but not as a standard. As long as someone makes the hardware and someone buy's it then it will not die. Cassette tapes are still out there.

And yes Spud I do remember the other two. But look who came out on top. and Still VHS sells today. I mean a $5 a pop why would it not sell.

a couple of thoughts from one of everybody's favorite tech gurus.....nothing really technical though:

1) i've seen HD Content on the HDMI inputs and DVI inputs....one in the same.....i am just impressed with both....but not enough and get another $99 cable to hook to my TV....There is a trick however, since the next gen are looking so much into HDMI outputs....You can actually buy a HDMI to DVI hookup cable and its half the cost of the full HDMI cable....For the wonderful people, like myself, that have a widescreen HDTV, but has a DVI input instead of an HDMI input.

2) I agree with Stan on this one, about Sony doing this exact thing before....as stated at the bottom of our Watercooler Rant in th articles section of our site......Why would Sony make the plunge, stepping off the ledge, and only offer Spiderman 3 in Blu-Ray only??........They wouldn't, but why not have them try to push everyone to get a BluRay player while we're waiting for Spiderman 3 to come out NEXT YEAR!!

3) Regardless of what Sony or Hollywood is backing, i still don't see me getting a PS3 until a major price drop comes around.........I mean i am MR. TECHNOLOGY!!.....But come on, enough is enough........I didn't buy my 360 because Microsoft was backing HDDVD, and in turn, i can't justify purchasing a PS3 for exclusive content like BluRay

Oh, and the 360 HDDVD player will be able to play regular DVDs as well, at least that's what i have been hearing

Last edited:
Originally, parts manufactorers said they would only be able to make only one or the other. However, about two months ago a company came out with a way to have the necessary parts to do both in a single drive. It would have to have parts for both types (you simply can't use the same laser) but they were able to make things small enough to do both. It would be like having the same slot to hold both cd's and dvd's only with more and more expensive parts.

In theory, this will drive costs to manufactorers down and that would trickle down to we the customers.

Another thing to consider: I don't think we will be switching over too soon. I already have my 360, but I'm not going to be buying HD-DVD's anytime soon. What for? I don't have a $3000 tv to watch them on (it would definitely have to be bigger than my current tv) If the movie industry (who will really be the driving force behind this) chooses to do only one and forget DVD and the blu-ray/HD-DVD, they will seriously be slitting their own throats. They've already been hit hard by pirating, add to that the lost sales over guys like me who either can't afford the $40 HD-DVD movie, or the Blu-Ray player to play the $50 Blue-Ray movies on and you get a recipe for disaster. I selectively buy DVD's already, why would I pay twice or more to get one?

I don't see DVDs dying a quick death, I see it taking a good long time. At least 5 or 6 years. Look at VHS, it took about 8 years for that format to die once DVD entered the market (I mean as far as producing new movies in the format not recording from TV). DVDs achieved a nationwide market in 1997 (they were around longer than that, though). I'd say it's been about 2 years or so since I've seen a VHS tape in the "new releases" section of the local Blockbuster.

You can Pocket that.

I'd like to point out what I did in the original thread, and that although Sony is pushing blu-ray, it's because they SUPPORT the technology. They aren't the only one's using it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

Is the group of companies that produced the standard that is bluray. Mini-disc, Atrac3 (or whatever it was) and UMD were proprietary formats, meaning only Sony produced it.

Samsung and a bunch of other companies are supporting blu-ray.

Anothering thing: Blu-ray and HD-DVD can both output high def as far as I know. I don't see why they both couldn't.

And yeah, VHS had a couple of competitors. BetaMax, many argue, was actually better quality, so don't think the best quality disc will win out... sometimes, it's the most well marketed (hence the importance of the PS3 supporting blu-ray... hoping people will get it, and thus only want bluray content).

And who here remembers laserdisc? I do! My friends even had players... but you know... those discs were hellah big. And that was possibly one of the biggest failures of the medium... along with cost.

Heck, I remember when I got my DVD player and Matrix went on sale at VHS prices cause no one knew what a DVD was. I remember when blockbuster only had a single shelf for DVDs, if they had any at all. But I will not be an early adopter of HD or Blu-ray. I'll wait until one dies first.

i don't think Sony will absolutely collapse if the Blu-Ray doesn't win the market outside of gaming, but I do think it'll hurt them pretty badly. They've bet a large chunk on the success of the PS3 and the Blu-Ray and if it fails it will hurt. badly.

Voice's comment about best quality doesn't necessarily win is absolutely true. Beta really was/is better than vhs (I have friends that work at a tv station and they used beta up until the last year or so.) And since Microsoft was able to suck everyone into Windows, I'm betting they will get things to swing the HD-DVD way too. Even Microsoft knows their product isn't as good as other formats, but they have us all so locked into it that nothing else will rise to the surface any time soon.

Cost will be a main selling point for both Blu-Ray disc and HD DVD. The cost for both are way to high. When both prices come down then that's when one will become main stream. Until then DVDs reign king.

HD-DVD could become the standard, but give it like 5 years. Plus a System will or have to come custom with one. The HD-DVD drive for the 360 does not support the HD to it's full capacity. Thats what I herd, (some one prove me wrong). Also the HD-DVD players are not to high. I mean $499 is nothing compared to the $999 for a Blu-Ray player. But yet the HD-DVD players are not selling like hot cakes. maybe ppl are waiting for the 360 part or the PS3 and Blu-Ray. Thing is to me it looks like that the game machines will help the sales.

I think we've learned our lesson for the most part. Most of the baby boomers are the ones with money. Let's face it, people less than 35-40 years old probably aren't making the bucks they will be making in just a few more years in their career. These same people saw the rise and fall of 8-track, LP's, cassette tapes (not gone, but nearly dead), beta, laser disc, and the fading vhs and cd's (come on with mp3 players and dvd's people will drop cd's soon). The lesson is: don't rush out and embrace brand-spankin' new technology [watches as Asylum slips some boxes under his bed].

Yes...we must take the wait and see approach. It is best not to become involved in this fight for it does not benefit us, the consumers. I will hold and protect my wallet while mega-corporations level entire mountain ranges with their marketing schtick.

Okay so as I was harassing my fellow FYE friends and going by the Best Buy website. I saw a crap load of HD-DVD's out or coming soon. A few Blu-Ray ones but not that much. Here's what is killing me there are Blu-Ray movies that I would love to watch in HD but sadly I don' have either of the players. I would love to get an HD-DVD player because of the price but I can't have all the movies I want because some are Blu-Ray. Now if I get the PS3 for the movies I can't have my HD-DVD movies. Dose any one see what i'm talking bout here? To have HD movies I must own both thats about a $3000 investment ( players, and TV). I know I can't just go out a get them all at once.....................or could I (income tax time *ponders*). Still to anyone thats a lot of money. I'm a tech geek I want the new hotness when it comes or before anyone has it. I hate being left out. But that money issue is what is killing me. Unfair I know it is I can unerstand but this is the only roblem that I see in this fight. If I'm on the fence of what to get or how to get it, how will someone just going to get a upgare react.

Think about it like this? You walk into BestBuy to upgrade everything. You got your HDTV, sound system all thats left is the DVD plsyer. What to get the Blu-Ray for $999, the PS3 - $599 or and HD-DVD Player for about $499? Does it come down to the movies on what makes the buy for you. Or will you eventualy get both players?

Don't you mean "an HD DVD player and some other console because you can't play games on one making it cost at least $750?"

You can't play games on an HD DVD player. We're talking about having a high def player AND a next gen console. You can get an HDDVD player and a Wii for 750, or you can get a PS3 with $150 to spare. That's all there is to it.

No Spud i was just talkin in trems of movies. It has nothing to do with games. That was a small rant on just movies alone. Did you hear me say anything about a 360 or Wii. In trems of ppl who don't play games and are looking for a better MOVIE experience. Thats what that was about because thats how I veiw the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.