best arcade game

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
In honor of the 360 releasing and having the ability to download classic arcade games, I wanted to post this one.

What is the best (most fun) arcade game of the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's?

Keep it limited to those games that were primarily focused for the arcade.

Well, you've got Pac-Man of course, seminal classic.

My favorite classic coin-op is Galaga. I don't know why, it's just such a great shooter and still still fun today. The most recent favorite arcade games for me are probably the House of the Dead series, there's just something about them that keeps me more interested than other gun games.

Sega had a skateboarding game that was pretty cool, Top Skater I think it was called, I remember the first day our mall arcade had it and they gave people free plays. Hard Drivin' was an awesome game for its time, and even had a clutch. There was a tank game out for a little while, I think it was called Tokyo Battle, that was extremely simplistic but really fun.

I was never good with Arcade games but I always enjoyed The Simpsons arcade game and the X-Men six player arcade game.

Tail Gunner/Red Baron- love the old vector-graphics games and I've been looking for orignal versions for years.

Spy Hunter- Loved the controller setup and music.

Star Castles- does anyone remember this great old game but me?

I kinda miss the good ol' days of hanging out in the cool cave of the arcade, putting my quarters on the glass and waitng for my chance to unseat the current champ. Home gaming sstems and online multiplayer IS fun, but I miss the days of going outside and riding my bike like 45 minutes to get to the mall and its arcade... (sigh)...

i loved x-men too, and ninja turtles for that matter. there was this boat racing game i loved as a kid, i believe it was called hydra and had some spy-hunter elements to it. thought it was great at the time. i think someone should mention area 51, even though now it is super annoying...it was awesome at the time

I also liked Dragon's Lair because it was so much prettier than it's contemporaries. Nothing like an incompetent, bungling hero to make a game fun.

Yeah - I never got past the first direction. It was sad that I kept feeding quarters, hoping this time I would figure what the hell I'm supposed to do.

Dragon's Lair (and Space Ace, too) were fun to look at but frustrating as HELL to play. The remake of DL that thery came out with a few years ago was lots better- it was a real game using the same kind of graphics, in full 3D. I think it was for the PC and PS2 (??). ::: Shrug :::

The first one-on-one Xmen fighting game was awesome in the arcade. I too remember putting up the quarter to reserve my spot in line. Once I learned Colossus from a little Korean dude, I was unstoppable. I also liked Galaga and Top Skater. I've lost many a quarter to all of them.

I'd go with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.....Great game and me and my bro's spent mad cash on it when we were younger...

back in the day...when I was a lad...my family owned a resturant/arcade in a small town in Colorado. We hung in the arcade ALL day and played games like Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac Man (the best pac man), Sinistar, and....TAPPER!!!! Not to mention the old school pinball games.

We had an air hockey table and fuseball, and pool too. Good times. We learned how to jimmy free games, etc. Then the coal mines shut down...and we lost everything. :0(

But then Nintendo came out...and we were saved...again...for the first time, or the last time?!

Not to mention:
Frogger, Donkey Kong Jr., Defender 1 and 2, JOUST (loved joust), etc.

Very cool there ImagoX....I'd get it....I have been told by "certain people" that i have too much already...... :scratchch

I like how Microsoft added this function into Xbox Live. Although I havnt played with the 360 Live Arcade yet, I found the regular Xbox Live version to be way overpriced. I like how you can download demos of the games, but paying $15 or $20 bucks for some crappy game is just way to much money. Now if games were like $5, I might consider buying them. Games like Zuma that are fun but easy to play. The best part about these games is that your high score gets posted. I like competing against the rest of the world for a higher score.

Exactly ImagoX....and SquallSnake, you're exactly right about the games on the Xbox Live Arcade....although some are classics and some are cool, it's still way too much.....but i heard they're using that for right now, the games will eventually drop in price.....The only one, right now, that i'm looking forward to is the multiplayer hold'em game they are bringing out.......That is gonna be very cool with the camera attached.....What will everybody do, then, when the players will be able to see your "poker face"?????? :spin: