Are my new parts any good? What to buy next?

gh0st233

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
Hey there, I have recently upgraded my power supply and my graphics card. I used to have an ATI Radeon HD 4850, but it died 6 months ago and I was using the integrated Intel GPU on my motherboard. I have only recently bought a R9 270x, and a new power supply to go with it, and to allow an upgrade in the future. I used to have a cheap 400W power supply, and the one I bought is a Thermaltake 630W. Games run A LOT better right now, than they did with the HD 4850, which is to be expected, since it is over twice as fast. However, I am getting a small bottleneck from my CPU, or so I believe. My CPU is a Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz. Quite old, since I have never replaced it since I have built this rig 5 years ago. So the next thing to replace is a motherboard and the processor, and I could go with another 4 GB of RAM, since I only have 4 right now.

Are the parts that I have bought any good? I have paid a bit less than 350€ for them, quite expensive where I live. Also, what processor should I buy next and what motherboard to go with it for around, maybe 150€ or so. Also, the motherboard I currently have has only 2 slots for RAM, and it's filled with 2x2GB. I want to add more but I can't. Thanks.

I think that the upgrade of a new video card and power supply is sensible. The integrated GPU is insufficient to play any game with good quality of display. It seems that you want a complete new computer but is not able to afford it. It would be better to save for the future for the time being.

You could just buy a processor, if your motherboard is good enough. If you have leftover money after processor, go for two 4gb ram sticks and replace the old ones. If you get a new motherboard, do not buy another 2x2 ram, go with 2x4 instead. It will save you money in the long run, as I currently have 4x2 and upgrade to more ram costs so much.

I think that the upgrade of a new video card and power supply is sensible. The integrated GPU is insufficient to play any game with good quality of display. It seems that you want a complete new computer but is not able to afford it. It would be better to save for the future for the time being.

Well, I have already bought these parts. I bought the GPU because I really needed one, since I wasn't gaming for 6 months and I couldn't take it anymore, and I got the power supply to handle the GPU and let me upgrade later on for something that may use more power.

You could just buy a processor, if your motherboard is good enough. If you have leftover money after processor, go for two 4gb ram sticks and replace the old ones. If you get a new motherboard, do not buy another 2x2 ram, go with 2x4 instead. It will save you money in the long run, as I currently have 4x2 and upgrade to more ram costs so much.

Don't have any money left over, I will probably upgrade something in 2015, but not before. I'll most definitely go with a new processor, possibly a motherboard if I need to get a new one. RAM is just something I'm going to get along the way, hopefully. Can I just upgrade one stick to 4 GB? Will that do any harm?

Don't have any money left over, I will probably upgrade something in 2015, but not before. I'll most definitely go with a new processor, possibly a motherboard if I need to get a new one. RAM is just something I'm going to get along the way, hopefully. Can I just upgrade one stick to 4 GB? Will that do any harm?
It's fine, I think that's the best way if you're little short on money. Just be sure to get the same frequency on those ram sticks to avoid any incompatibilities.

It's fine, I think that's the best way if you're little short on money. Just be sure to get the same frequency on those ram sticks to avoid any incompatibilities.
How do I know what frequencies my RAM runs at? Any program to check this out? Or do I have to go to the brand's website and find it out? I really have no idea, and would like to upgrade my RAM.

How do I know what frequencies my RAM runs at? Any program to check this out? Or do I have to go to the brand's website and find it out? I really have no idea, and would like to upgrade my RAM.
Well, obviously you only need to match the frequencies if you're going to use the new RAM stick with the old ones. You should find the frequency on the ram sticks themselves, motherboard bios, or various programs as well, like CPU-Z and so on.

I just checked with CPU-Z and my frequency is around 533-534 MHz, but it doesn't tell me what brand my sticks are. I don't remember well, but I think it was G. Skill or something, is there a brand called something like that? I think that was the name of it, but I can't be sure without opening the case, really.

I just checked with CPU-Z and my frequency is around 533-534 MHz, but it doesn't tell me what brand my sticks are. I don't remember well, but I think it was G. Skill or something, is there a brand called something like that? I think that was the name of it, but I can't be sure without opening the case, really.

Thats weird, I have a Q6600 and I generally am not bottle necking in games (except CPU heavy games). My RAM is overclocked and runs 1066Mhz however the stock is usually 800Mhz.

At 533Mhz it sounds like the memory has dropped into some sort of compatibility mode or something is wrong. If they really are running at ~530 that would be a major source of the CPU bottleneck as the processor just sits waiting for the memory to catch up. This gives the appearance it is not powerful enough when the opposite is the case.

If your feeling up to it could you open up your case and post what RAM you have?
It should pin down if it is slow RAM or something up with the Motherboard.

Also what games are you playing at what FPS?
The only games I ever found lagged out were ones that were CPU heavy such as say Prison Architect, but even then my FPS only dropped to ~40. As your processor is a lot more powerful I seriously think the problem lies elsewhere.

Also my 2 cents. It will still be worth keeping an eye on upgrade options as the cost of upgrading the CPU and memory on that socket type is getting quite high. For 8GB DDR2 I can buy 16GB DDR3 (at least in the UK) so I would not upgrade any other parts without a major overhaul.

Wait, I don't understand. Maybe it is running in some sort of a compatibility mode, and I will check right now. Because, when I didn't have a GPU, when I was using the integrated one, I switched my PC to Economy Mode to use even less power, because I couldn't play anything either way. If it's not the economy mode thing, where do you think I could find the source of the problem? I'll open up the case later.

Sorry maybe I was too technical.
The memory is running slow, most computers of your spec would have the memory running at 800 not 500. This means that the processor finishes all its calculating then has to sit and wait for the memory to catch up. Whilst its waiting for more data to work on it cant really do anything. This makes it appear like it cant keep up when in fact it is working "too fast" for the memory.

Wait, I don't understand. Maybe it is running in some sort of a compatibility mode, and I will check right now. Because, when I didn't have a GPU, when I was using the integrated one, I switched my PC to Economy Mode to use even less power, because I couldn't play anything either way. If it's not the economy mode thing, where do you think I could find the source of the problem? I'll open up the case later.

The way to check is by looking at the make and model of the memory. If the memory is only designed to run at 530 it will only run at 530. However if it is designed to work at 800 Mhz then it is running in a compatibility mode. I can further explain if that doesn't make sense?

Regarding economy mode - if you are finding your games are playing quite smoothly with it on economy mode leave it on. Like you say there is no point burning through money. However if the games are slightly jumpy then switch it into a high performance mode as that will make a large difference.

I assume your on Windows? If so go into the power options and switch it to high performance if you games are struggling. If you cant find power options let me know and ill also talk you through it.

Well, my games did run a bit choppy. Games like Witcher 2 and Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, I'll try playing it now in high performance mode, and see if the FPS improves. Also, I have a 32-bit Windows, could that be the problem? I'm soon going to install the x64 Windows, because I can't play Dead Rising 3 with a 32-bit one. Is that going to help at all, tho? Also can you explain this compatibility mode, a bit? Is it something that I may have turned on, or it's some factory setting.

Well, my games did run a bit choppy. Games like Witcher 2 and Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, I'll try playing it now in high performance mode, and see if the FPS improves. Also, I have a 32-bit Windows, could that be the problem? I'm soon going to install the x64 Windows, because I can't play Dead Rising 3 with a 32-bit one. Is that going to help at all, tho? Also can you explain this compatibility mode, a bit? Is it something that I may have turned on, or it's some factory setting.
32 bits shouldn't do anything bad if you have no more than 4gb of ram , which is good in your case. The compatibility thing would be only turned on if there's interference with other parts and something can't keep up. Try to check the frequencies in bios, 500mhz is too low.

Right, I'll check that in BIOS later when I install my 64-bit Windows, which I'm too lazy to do. When I go to BIOS, is there any way I can increase the frequency? If 500 MHz is too low and it's bottle-necking my PC, I need to find a way to up the frequency and get the most out of my machine. At least, I want to know if the problem is the RAM, the CPU or something else, like motherboard, perhaps?

Well, doesn't 32-bit only recognize 3.5 GB of RAM? Not even 4?

Right, I'll check that in BIOS later when I install my 64-bit Windows, which I'm too lazy to do. When I go to BIOS, is there any way I can increase the frequency? If 500 MHz is too low and it's bottle-necking my PC, I need to find a way to up the frequency and get the most out of my machine. At least, I want to know if the problem is the RAM, the CPU or something else, like motherboard, perhaps?

I don't think forcing higher frequency will do you anything. That's like putting more fuel in a car expecting it to go faster. Just to be sure, screen cap cpu-z memory and spd tabs (every ram slot).

Yes, it does recognize about 3,5gb, but there's almost no significant difference.

If your going to turn up the frequency in the BIOS make sure you know how to reset the CMOS in case the machine doesnt boot - this will reset any settings you have changed.
To reset the CMOS there usually is a jumper you move to a certain set of pins then back - I'm afraid only your manual can point you in the right direction as the pins are different. This gives a rough overview

If you cant clock up first check if you RAM can run at 800Mhz, if the top speed is only 500 then no amount of tweaking is going to get it to work. If you ram can run 800 (I would be surprised if it wasn't able to) then start by trying a single memory stick at a time and checking the speed each time. If one has a fault and is running at 500 then they all have to run at 500.

If the sticks are rated at 800, the computer wont start at 800MHz and there is no single RAM stick at fault then something else is going on. If we get to that stage then we will go from there. Until then is something to look into.

I would recommend you either do that before you install as you know your machine is stable. If it falls over on one memory stick it means that one is faulty. If you do it after reinstalling you might not know if it is the reinstall or the RAM thats bad.

This is a 32bit limitation. The technical side is that even with Physical Address extensions the system can still only access roughly 3.5GB.

I have installed 64-bit Windows recently, but I still haven't installed CPU-Z. I will do that today and I will check the frequencies again, and post the screenshot here, so you can see as well. After that, if I can get myself to doing it, I will open the case and try with one RAM slot and see if one of them runs at 500. Also, how to take RAM out? I have installed it successfully and very easily, but when I tried taking it out, it just wouldn't. I felt like I was going to break something, and I'm obviously missing the point here, because there is some sort of a mechanism to release it, but I haven't figured out how.

There's clips at the top and bottom of the ram, when you pushed it into place did you notice them clip upwards. You need to push these back down and the ram will pop up - it will make sense when you do it, just remember if you struggle to fit it back in check you dont have them upside down as they have a notch in them to prevent being installed the wrong way.

The clips

Also if you can't easily make out what speed/model they are take a photo of the information sticker on the ram and ill look up any info on them.

Edit: It almost goes without saying but ill say it anyway - make sure the computer is switched off and unplugged so no damage is done to your components. Also make sure you touch the case before the memory so any static on you discharges to the case and not the memory (a good habit to be in)

Ah, I will try that. I know there are these types of pins and they did click when I put the RAM in, when I bought it. But, when I tried taking it out, I know I fiddled with them and I just couldn't unlock it. I know I'm supposed to unlock them, and I tried everything logical that came to my mind, but I couldn't do it. I will try that some time soon, hopefully, and post here.