A dying breed

what would also be great if with that article that we can also find computers from companies that are sub 1000 that can also play some games. I can help you with that if you want BCambell

BCampbell said:
Several months ago I was thinking of writing up an article about building a sub-$1000 gaming PC. This thread has revived my interest in this... maybe I'll actually get off my ass and do it.

Or you could just pay $120 dollars on an Xbox and play em all!

BCampbell said:
That's what I was going to do, go to newegg, put together a system, and then make an article out of it. If I could actually afford to buy everything, that would be even better.

Im also talking about stuff from Dell, or Gateway that could play some games as well.

In that case, yeah things can get pretty expensive. Sure, an $800 system will play Sims 2 and stuff, but most of their lower end machines have Celerons and crappy video cards.

When you get into biulding your own PC, you start saving a ton of money. Often you can build a comparable system to an off-the-shelf one for as low as 50% of the cost.

100% of exceptional PC games of recent times are being/have been ported into high quality games on the Xbox. How bout THAT statistic!!! :mario:

GhostToast said:
not bad except how do you define exceptional, universaly?

How would one universally define exceptional? Maybe not universal, but some general criteria would be about 85% critical acclaim, selling atleast 700,000 copies would be a start, I suppose the amount of word of mouth and hype play a part as well.

Well, exceptional is a general term. I think we can all agree that Doom 3 and Half Life 2 would be considered exceptional. But there are so many others on top of those.

So while I was at work I wnet to NewEgg and specced out a new system. I ended up with an AMD 3000+, 1GB DDR 400 RAM, an ATI 9800Pro 256MB GPU, and a 120GB SATA HDD (along with the case,m power supply, etc etc), and it came to just shy of $700. Including a copy of Windows XP.

That's more than enough PC to play any games out now and games coming out in the near future. If we assume that a basic new PC costs $400-$500, that means a gaming PC is only a $200-$300 premium -- the same price as a console.

I'll get the full list of components when I remember to send it home, but I really don't think the price issue is actually an issue.

So you know I believe we had this disscussion that console ports of PC game usually stinks compaired to PC versions. GTA, Doom 3, Starcraft, Call of Duty, all these game while good on console, but better on PC.