Will most newer games require 6 GB of ram at least?

gh0st233

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
I see this is becoming a trend lately. Many games that have released recently, or are about to be released soon apparently need at least 6 GB of ram to even play them. For example, the newer Call of Duty games (I don't like them, just saying) all require 6 GB of ram to even run the game or install it. I feel horrible about the new Assassin's Creed Unity and Far Cry 4 all requiring at least 6 GB to play the game. This is a problem for me because I have a motherboard with only two slots for RAM, and these slots are filled with two 2GB sticks. So in order for me to add any more RAM, I'd have to either get a new motherboard, or sell these sticks and buy two 4GB ones, which are kind of expensive. Do you think I'll be able to run the new Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 4, even if I have 4 GB of ram? My CPU is Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz, GPU is R9 270x and 4 GB DDR3 RAM.

The ram requirements have to go up with the games nowadays. You know you could keep one of your 2gb sticks and sell the other 2gb stick to buy a 4gb stick. That way you can have 6gb of ram because 2gb + 4gb = 6gb.

I believe that a lot of games are coming out in 2015-16 period which will require us to upgrade our RAM to at least 6 GB. Thee are some recently launched games in 2014 that made us upgrade our gaming PCs. Watch Dogs is a prime example. I believe AS Unity is also going to push our PCs to its limits. GTA V is on the cards a well.

Well as we get better games they will need more RAM to run. I don't mind this since RAM makes the computer run faster as well. Its just that I am hoping my computer can handle it.

This is inevitable truth, but I think this won't be a problem, as RAM sticks should be getting cheaper.Though I hope the requirements stay lower, because my old pc won't be able to run them.

The ram requirements have to go up with the games nowadays. You know you could keep one of your 2gb sticks and sell the other 2gb stick to buy a 4gb stick. That way you can have 6gb of ram because 2gb + 4gb = 6gb.

Are there any specific rules to buying RAM? As far as my logic tells me, it needs to run at same speed, obviously be DDR3 as well, but does it need to be the same brand? I really have no idea. Will I have any problems if I run 1x2GB and 1x4GB? Thanks.

It really all depends unfortunately, but it does seem that way. The new games I play for the PC pretty much have me at full ram being used or close to it, which is not fair for those of us who can't afford the next big computer that gets put out on display. What I would suggest doing is probably buying a regular computer and just upgrading from there or perhaps looking into RAM that fits in with your computer because that is VERY important when upgrading your RAM.
If the RAM sticks that you are planning to buy are upgraded versions of the one that you previously bought, then they should be fine, but again, make sure that your computer can accept the new ram that you put in.

How do I make sure it can accept the new RAM? So basically, the best bet is to buy two sticks of same ram, rather than trying to find a 4 GB version of my 2 GB RAM stick? If I understood well. It may be a bit hard to find RAM that I can use, but I will give it a shot and hopefully, will be able to work something out.

From what you said in the post before mine you said the RAM sticks that are currently in your computer is compatible with your CPU, since it is, open up your computer and take out the ram sticks and look at what the RAM sticks are, WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING that it says on the ram stick and then you can shop for ram sticks of the same model. If you are not okay doing this, there is a program called CPU-Z, (don't worry it's free) when you download this, program, check under the memory tab, the type of module that you have is listed there as well as other important information that you will need as well.

This is definitely something I have also been realizing and I have to say it sucks. On the other hand, if the game is worth it then I can sort of understand why. I mean I do love playing games with great graphics but that right there is a huge chunk of GB right there. I just wish they could come out with some revolutionary way to shrink the size's of the games but that's only in my dreams! I imagine that the industry world will keep with the technology needed to play these games so I'm not too worried.

From what you said in the post before mine you said the RAM sticks that are currently in your computer is compatible with your CPU, since it is, open up your computer and take out the ram sticks and look at what the RAM sticks are, WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING that it says on the ram stick and then you can shop for ram sticks of the same model. If yoThau are not okay doing this, there is a program called CPU-Z, (don't worry it's free) when you download this, program, check under the memory tab, the type of module that you have is listed there as well as other important information that you will need as well.

Thank you, I will do that the next time I open up my case, and write down everything I find. Hopefully, I'll be able to work something out, since I'm not sure if there are any shops selling this, because it's not such a popular brand, I think. We'll have to see. I'll download the program and I will check it out, as a matter of fact, I think I already have cpu-z installed for other purposes.

Thank you, I will do that the next time I open up my case, and write down everything I find. Hopefully, I'll be able to work something out, since I'm not sure if there are any shops selling this, because it's not such a popular brand, I think. We'll have to see. I'll download the program and I will check it out, as a matter of fact, I think I already have cpu-z installed for other purposes.
Some computers come with more slots for you RAM than they've bothered to equip you with, if that's the case you can just buy the same sticks and slot them yourself for a pretty cheap upgrade.

Some computers come with more slots for you RAM than they've bothered to equip you with, if that's the case you can just buy the same sticks and slot them yourself for a pretty cheap upgrade.

This is what I wanted to do, but my motherboard only has two slots for RAM, and these slots are already filled with two 2 GB sticks, so I can't get any more RAM unless I first sell one or both of these sticks, and buy one or two new sticks with more RAM. That is okay for one upgrade, but sooner or later, I will have to change the motherboard.

It seems that every game I have looked at lately requires a minimum of 4GB. That's the very minimum though. I'd suggest more.

You probably should go ahead and upgrade, although I know sometimes it's not that easy to start upgrading.

Using CPU-z should give you the information you need. I suggested it just in case you haven't opened up your CPU or don't know what to look for once you open it. If you remember the company who manufactures your CPU it might help to give them a call to see if you can find out if there are any other versions of the RAM sticks that you need. I don't know if you have installed any RAM before so if you do plan on installing more RAM make sure to take steps to ensure you don't end up breaking anything in the CPU when installing new RAM or taking out the old RAM.

I have already upgraded my RAM. At one point, one of my sticks was malfunctioning, and I had to get a new one instead of it, so I did. I took the old one out, and inserted the new 2 GB stick into the slot, worked like a charm. But that was two years ago, after that, I haven't upgraded my RAM at all, because I have no more slots for doing so.