Wii's potential, socially

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
Not too long ago, I had very little hope that the woman I've chosen to marry would ever really get into video games. She tolerated my love of them at best. I kept trying to buy games for her that she would like and that we could play together, but failed at every turn. Mostly because PS2's arsenal of casual 2-player games is dismal.

My hope was in Wii, that Nintendo would produce games that were fun to play and presented in a form (Wii-mote) that broke down the barriers between my lady and gaming. As I shared all the news from E3 with her, and she rebuffed me by being supremely bored by all of it, my hope waned. I just about gave up.

Finally, I bought myself a DS Lite. She took one look at it and said, "I want one". So off we went to Walmart and I bought her one. Now we play the mini-games in The New Super Mario Bros. all the time. I hate to admit it, but she wins just as often (if not more often) than me.

I am confident from looking at the Wii's game roster that she will appreciate several of its offerings, and we'll play them together. I know it sounds corny, but since video games are so important to me, (They are how I would most often choose to spend leisure time, next to reading), it is vital to our ongoing relationship and marriage that she share at least a little of that enthusiasm with me.

Besides that, I truly believe that I will be inviting people over who've long "outgrown" playing Nintendo, and introducing them to Wii, and having a great time. I see it as a relationship enhancer and a friendship builder.

I can't wait for Wii.

Speaking from a man that is married, i can say good job Basil!!!.....I can also say that i got my wife back into gaming right before we got married......So :thumbsup: to you man.........Now, if only I can get her to give me the damn 360 controller and get off playing Uno on the 360 all the time.......That's the first step in my master plan for world domination.........My second, you ask??....Even if you didn't ask, here it is........Convince her i need a Wii when it gets released.....Heh

basilmunroe said:
Whatever, man, I'm the one now playing video games with his previously non-gamer fiancee. I think I came out a winner in this.
You say "whatever, man" but all I hear is "wha kuh CHEE."

ouch. i gotta say basil, more and more i see so many similarities between your situation and mine. i have yet to really impress my woman with video games. i bought her a GBA SP when she went to grad school and i was still in undergrad before we moved in together. she played it quite a bit but then got tired of it.

we actually started out playing quite a bit of time splitters 2 together but she never wanted to play the third installment. i think it was just her trying extra hard at the beginning of the relationship (luckily i'm so damn attractive that a woman would actually do this)

anyway, now that i have a DS she actually plays it a fair amount and has even lost some of my precious, piddly rank on Mario Kart via the WiFi connection.

one time my wife told me about a coworker of hers who hated video games until she began playing some MMORPG with her husband within the same house. i was instantly jealous because i think that would be a lot of fun, myself. anyway...that will never happen

but MAYBE, like basil hopes, my wife will be into the non-standard gameplay approaches that the Wii seems to promise. i too look forward to its release and yes, i hope to be able to play games with visitors as well. watching t.v. gets so old so fast for me...