Which NES game did NOT depreciate in value for you?

JoanMcWench

Registered
Feb 16, 2015
Some games do not stand the test of time. Let's face it. Regardless of how many nerds loved Atari's E.T. when it came out they soon came to learn it was indeed the worst game of all time.

For myself, all the Mario's (yes, even 2) stand the test of time. Still fun to play. If I can't cheat & choose a Nintendo creation I'm going to have to go with Rocketeer. It was a surprisingly good game.

Calling ET the worst game of all time is quite frankly ignorant.. but back to the topic, Super Robot Wars (I think only 2 and 3 came out on NES) are really fun and quite deep even nowadays. Other than that, Final Fantasy, I guess, but then again, there's no reason to play the NES version anymore.. still, the core mechanics and the story are fun even after all the years.

Mario and Zelda for me. Mario is pretty much timeless, the graphics and gameplay are pretty much immune to time. The Zelda series has gone through a lot of changes throughout the years but I still think the originals are pretty fun to play.

Hello,

I definitely agree with Kaizen, I think the best game series' would have to be, the Zelda series. It was by far my most beloved game series' with a very close Mario..they both remind me of when times were easier :)

scary_sun_and_moon_by_heartstringsxiii-d5ms04t.jpg

Reactions: thegrey
Calling ET the worst game of all time is quite frankly ignorant.. but back to the topic

lmao...Ooo no you don't. That IS the topic now. Horrible ridiculous waste of a game.

I hope you're just confused & referring to a different game because that is just incorrect. I think the only thing I would alter in that sentence is that I would add 'one of the' to worst. But that's a hard one to beat.

The Legend of Zelda and Link's Adventure! Metroid was good as well.

Hey, @thegrey I wanted to ask you what you thought of Link's Crossbow Training? I actually thought it was a kick backside way to introduce people to the accessory.

lmao...Ooo no you don't. That IS the topic now. Horrible ridiculous waste of a game.

I hope you're just confused & referring to a different game because that is just incorrect. I think the only thing I would alter in that sentence is that I would add 'one of the' to worst. But that's a hard one to beat.
I recently read this great article on Polygon which provides a lot of great interesting information on the game and includes an interview with Howard Scott Warshaw. The article is well worth a read, IMO and even touches upon the wealth of cartridges that were buried in a New Mexico landfill.

I never played many NES games but I did play a bit of contra and I liked it very much. I even played it just recently about a few years ago and I still thought it was very fun. I still had to use the cheat code though since I'm not that good at the game but I still think it's a very unique and fun game nonetheless.

Mario and Zelda for me. Mario is pretty much timeless, the graphics and gameplay are pretty much immune to time. The Zelda series has gone through a lot of changes throughout the years but I still think the originals are pretty fun to play.
I completely agree with this. There is just something about the Mario series that will never get old. Also, the Zelda series has changed, but they have progressed in an extremely positive manner, so it is ok.

Definitely the Marios and Zelda, along with FF. I count these as standing the test of time because after all these years I still love to play them, and more importantly I have passed the tradition down to my children, who also play them. At no point do I hear any complaints from them of the "graphics" or "these are boring" or "old" despite the fact that they also play very graphically rich PC and console games.

mario Brothers, I love this game and how each new one progressed. It was the best games pack that Nintendo had, I absolutely loved when Mario cart hit the stands. I remember playing maria cart from 7PM till way after the sun came up HAHA. long nights filled with nothing but fun fun fun.

Definitely Mario and Zelda. Zelda is and always will be a personal favorite. Mario, also a favorite but I enjoy the Mraio games even more with a friend--especially when drunk. Mario is questionably interesting when intoxicated :]

River City Ransom!! :D
I loved that game; I could play it over and over again. I have no idea why; but there is just something about that game that I couldn't get enough of. Maybe the dragon feet or the stone hands, or the fact that the bad guys would 'BARF' when they died.

So...so...so true. I can still play that game today for hours. It was the original 'Bully'. I loved the incorporation of random weapons. Just lying around in the streets. This is where my love of tossing a garbage can originated.

This:

I still play this game every 2 years.
I play zero videogames at the moment. But I go out of my way to download a NES emulator, just to play this.
Not even N64 games are this good...

So...so...so true. I can still play that game today for hours. It was the original 'Bully'. I loved the incorporation of random weapons. Just lying around in the streets. This is where my love of tossing a garbage can originated.

I never played River City Ransom, but you reminded me of the sports spinoffs. I used to play the hell out of Go Go! Nekketsu Hockey Club, people should check that game out, I believe it is one of the games that are still fun after all the years.

Ice Climber and Battle City are the two games that I will always love. I'm not sure if you remember these games. I'm not even sure if you know these games. But they were fun especially if you were playing two player.

For me personally? Super Pitfall. I know that the game is horribly designed, and that it has a lot of problems in how it runs. But for a young kid who was probably 6 or 7 at the time, it was crazy in that I could go in any direction in the game, and end up somewhere different. It was almost mesmerizing in a way, almost like an early sandbox. Plus figuring out all sorts of secrets was what made it fun. Playing it now is sort of aggravating, but it always gives me that sort of nostalgic twinge in my heart.

Ice Climber and Battle City are the two games that I will always love. I'm not sure if you remember these games. I'm not even sure if you know these games. But they were fun especially if you were playing two player.

I spent a ton of time plying Battle City when I was young. :) Not sure if I'd like it nowadays, though, and I'm kind of afraid to try and find out..