Which is your favourite "old school" rpg?

fliktor7

Registered
Jan 18, 2015
Nowadays there are lots of good role playing games as the Dragon Age saga, Skyrim or the games from the Witcher, and even some games of this generation which try to make things like in the past, as Divinity original sin, but when we talk about old games (with at least 10 years old) which one will be your favourite?
I have lot of candidates, but I will say Xenogears, from playstation 1, may be my number one xD

In my own humble opinion, the all-time greatest "old school" RPG and perhaps the greatest SNES game period is Square's Chrono Trigger!

500px-Chrono_Trigger_cover.jpg

There are have been other RPGs with epic stories that include numerous surprising twists and affords multiple alternate endings, side quests, extra playable characters, etc--but I'm hard pressed to think of another game that spans so many multiple disparate chronological eras, thereby blending together several sub-genres within the broader fantasy and science-fiction umbrella, and incorporates powerful, novel, and down-right fun cause-and-effect time travel scenarios! It's practically Doctor Who: The RPG!

Moreover, Chrono Trigger had a fantastically varied combat system that allowed your party to grow together and not separately, learning special character specific team-work moves!

(And, yet, despite my absolute love for Chrono Trigger as professed above: its sequel Chrono Cross completely passed me by! (Its release just so happened to coincide with a time in my life when I put aside gaming for a few years to concentrate on my studies, etc!) I'm definitely going to have to make of point of playing it at some point! Retro Gamer Bucket List updated!)

Reactions: Cmok
Chrono Trigger was awesome and there are few games I've enjoyed more. I think I would have to say its a tie between it and Final Fantasy III (6). I still play both on my tablet all the time. Sadly I didn't really get into Chrono Cross either and after Final Fantasy X, I've pretty much lose my love for that series as well. The old school games are amazing but I don't like the new ones.

I would also go with Xenogears. It was the RPG that made me a fan of the genre. Though the graphics weren't the best I've seen when the game came out, it still conveyed a sense of wonder that few games could ever achieve. The gameplay featured a turn-based/action oriented combat system hybrid that made engaging with enemies a lot of fun. The characters were very interesting and I eventually cared for them. But, what set this game far apart from others was its story. It was simply amazing!
Xenogears_by_KurosuJun.jpg

Pretty much the franchises that Square churned out during the PS1/PS2 era. They all had their strengths and were highly entertaining in their own right so I can't just choose one haha.

Baldur's Gate 2. Probably the best RPG ever made, and if not, it's still the benchmark that I will always hold all other RPGs to. Other Black Isle studio games will always be some of my favorite games, period, as well.

My pick would be FFVII which remains to be the only one I've played to this day. I don't know what it is about that particular title that got me to finally play an rpg but aside from the unskippable cutscenes I really couldn't find much I didn't like about it. I know the story is silly but I personally never really cared too much to follow it anyway.

Hmm, well from what I've played, I would pick Legend of Dragoon. It's got such an interesting story that gave me much inspiration for my own fantasy novel. The game is the only one I know of that had 4 discs, so it was a rather long game, but that didn't stop it from being amazing.

In my own humble opinion, the all-time greatest "old school" RPG and perhaps the greatest SNES game period is Square's Chrono Trigger!

500px-Chrono_Trigger_cover.jpg

There are have been other RPGs with epic stories that include numerous surprising twists and affords multiple alternate endings, side quests, extra playable characters, etc--but I'm hard pressed to think of another game that spans so many multiple disparate chronological eras, thereby blending together several sub-genres within the broader fantasy and science-fiction umbrella, and incorporates powerful, novel, and down-right fun cause-and-effect time travel scenarios! It's practically Doctor Who: The RPG!

Moreover, Chrono Trigger had a fantastically varied combat system that allowed your party to grow together and not separately, learning special character specific team-work moves!

(And, yet, despite my absolute love for Chrono Trigger as professed above: its sequel Chrono Cross completely passed me by! (Its release just so happened to coincide with a time in my life when I put aside gaming for a few years to concentrate on my studies, etc!) I'm definitely going to have to make of point of playing it at some point! Retro Gamer Bucket List updated!)

I completely agree. I accidentally discovered CT while looking for something new to play for the PS1. I saw a CD box that had 2 different games included (FF4 & CT) and since I've never heard of either I got it. First I tried playing FF and while it was OK i thought nothing special of it and then I booted CT. The whole begging part of the game just grabbed me instantly. Your mom wakes you up, pulls the curtains and light shines through the window then you go downstairs to find the family cat roaming around. Mom reminds you that you're supposed to see your friend Luca at the fair, gives you some money and the adventure starts. It felt so natural and the story developed in such a way that you just couldn't stop playing. I've replayed the game numerous times over the years, it's such a great game.
You should definitely try CC, it's just as interesting and good as the first one although some hate on it because it didn't continue with the CT story but instead opted to start a new one.

Hmm, well from what I've played, I would pick Legend of Dragoon. It's got such an interesting story that gave me much inspiration for my own fantasy novel. The game is the only one I know of that had 4 discs, so it was a rather long game, but that didn't stop it from being amazing.

Seconding this. I really enjoyed FF7 but I absolutely LOVED Legend of the Dragoon. I liked the combat system and the story. I never got the chance to complete it and I had trouble getting online versions of it to work. Really recommend it to anyone re-playing old PS1 rpgs.

Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg

20 years ago the RPGs that I liked the most were Phantasy Star and Shining in the Darkness. Both were on the Sega Genesis. I was a big Sega Fan and never owned a NES or SNES. Hence the reason for never playing Final Fantasy. But yeah, I loved both games. Phantasy Star was the first RPG that I played and I was hooked since. 2 years later I got a copy of Shining in the Darkness and I was hooked. They took out the miniature maps and the little men walking around on the screen. It was basicly first person adventure style with lots of color.

Not necessarily my favorite, but I remember playing "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest" nonstop when I was a kid. The combat wasn't as tactical as in other JRPG's, since you only had 2 characters in your "party", but it was easy to get into and the soundtrack was catchy. Guess I've played through this game at least 10 times.

I have to admit that the game that I really liked the most is the Final Fantasy series. This game is still in production, at least I just seen one at Gamestop, but I still love the classics. So I have to say these are the favorite of mine.

Suikoden 2 and Legend of Legaia are my most favorite old school RPG games. They both have great story and cool characters. Suikoden 2 had a wide range of characters, great music, story and dialogue. I was also impressed with the setting at that time. For Legend of Legaia, I like its story and battle system. The use of the directional buttons and combining them to make fighting moves called battle arts are is very unique and has been the identity of the game. The boss battles and monster profiles were also nice and many lessons and values could be gained from both games. It taught me about camaraderie, friendship and family. This is what I really miss about those old school RPGs.

I'm not sure if I can consider old games like Legend of Mana or uh... The first Harvest Moon game. I'd pick those.