What is your opinion on the MOBA genre?

GlacialDoom

Registered
Nov 22, 2014
Oradea, Romania
I think that the fast spreading MOBA genre should be stopped as soon as possible, because all games are now blatant copies of each other, with maybe one or two interesting additions. I, for one, hate this type of games mostly because of the toxic community (they have more idiotic flamers than the Call of Duty community, and that one has lots of them!).

At first, when I tried League of Legends a few years ago, I played about 5 matches and then I forgot about it because it bored me. This year, when I tried DOTA 2, I found that I was becoming too obsessed with it, and as very important exams were coming quickly, I decided I should stop before I became too obsessed. I am still glad I took that decision, because I never went back to DOTA, and I also aced the exams and got into the high school I wanted.

This has been my experience with the MOBA genre. What was yours and what is your opinion on this type of games?

well you cant really obcess over something thats not fun to play can you? so it must be good.

as for me, i do love LOL, and DOTA. but the clones of these are getting out of hand. not everything has to look like them.

I think the look has to do with the fact that they are calling back to the original DoTA and trying to summon that feeling.

I think it is a neat concept, but if people are going to clone it I think they need to figure out something that isn't the core map to throw out there. There are already two games that do that way better than you can hope for (three if you are a jerk and force me to count Newerth, which I won't and you can't make me). It is still a new genre though, if you are old enough to remember when Doom became a thing and people where still trying to figure out how the fuck FPS games worked everything was basically just a slightly different skin of the same game. It took YEARS for people to figure out Call of Duty style shit in those games. Fuck, it was several years after Doom came out before you were able to mouse look in those games.

I love DoTA (indifferent on LoL as you have to buy characters), but I only really like jumping on when friends are playing. If they aren't I normally pass on it.

Speaking of which feel free to join the MyGamer Steam group and we can get a weekly DoTA match going.

The biggest draw of MOBA in my opinion is that no two games are the same, since there is such an incredible number of possible hero matchups that can be played. Add to that the high skill ceiling, with intricate mechanics and hero synergies, and there is plenty to learn and master. Esports support, having multimillion dollar prizepools and ranked ladder systems also helps to increase the appeal of the game.

Glad to see you are lucky enough to get out of the hype. I am stuck with league of legends because i am just too addicted to it. I can generally handle the flamer because of the /ignore button. But i agree with you that this game is more toxic than for example call of duty. Luckily enough my school results have not been struck by my gaming problem.

I dont agree that its more toxic than COD. LOL goes out of its way to reward people for not being Dbags. that whole honor system is a tribute to that. COD seems to have made no progress to make a better community.

No but thats probably due to the fact that the COD developers have no interest in the community and are just mainly money hungry. Also i think it has been the fault of the parents for allowing this generation of 10 year olds really get out of hand. Thats why communities like LOL and COD are pretty much ruined for Teenagers and mature people.

I do like MOBA games, because I didn't play a lot of them in the past. I enjoy a lot of MOBA games, even if they seem like total copies of some more popular MOBAs like LoL or Dota 2. Although I enjoy other MOBAs I never played any game for a long period of time excluding LoL. I think that most of the MOBA games get boring pretty fast, well it might be just me and it's not the same for you.

I think the MOBA genre is great. So much strategy and team synergy is involved, and like Squigly mentioned, no two games are the same. Further appeal is that most of the famous ones, like LoL and Dota, are free to play, and that's what makes it quite appealing to a poor college student like me. True, you have your toxic players, but I've also made quite a few friends from a common interest in LoL. I also think that the MOBA genre is bringing e-sports to a more public view, and it's gaining more respect as a sport as a result.

No but thats probably due to the fact that the COD developers have no interest in the community and are just mainly money hungry. Also i think it has been the fault of the parents for allowing this generation of 10 year olds really get out of hand. Thats why communities like LOL and COD are pretty much ruined for Teenagers and mature people.

I will agree that the one thing that makes the communities different is that MoBA games try to make the people playing them nicer, while the CoD and Halos out there just kind of ignore the issue and accept it as "the games culture". That said the learning curve is so high it is hard to make someone who has played 500+ hours of a game not lose their shit when someone fucks up enough to cost a close game after 45 minutes.

Yeah well i currently have over 750 hours of gameplay an league of legends, I can lose my shit sometimes but the key is to not talk to your teammates about it. Because your prestations and your team prestations will go down. Causing you to lose a lot of games. But like you said, it can be frustrating sometimes.

I don´t like small group pvp with strangers. Everyone thinks they are better than they are and it is just too easy to have toxic partners. Some of the gameplay is fun if you turn off chat and just pretend everyone else is AI.