What is the better Old School console?

I have to go with NES - the sheer number of games made for it makes it stand out.

definitely the NES. How many of us have the Mario music memorized and can run through a stage completely from memory? Come on now, admit it...

Exactly, GT. Which goes to prove the power of the NES. Mario is the singlemost identifiable game character. Although Master Chief is already infamous.

I'm a Sega guy. Always have been, always will be. I loved my Master System. I had Nintendo too, but for some reason I could never like it as much as I liked Sega's systems. Maybe it's because they were almost always underdogs.

While I definitely grew up on the NES, it wasn't until the SNES that I knew video games were special. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and later Super Metroid convinced me of that. Then there's FFII & III (American), Chrono Trigger, Contra III, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country, Street Fighter II, Mega Man X, F-Zero, Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, and more.

GhostToast said:
in my opinion, master chief is pretty indistinguishable from dozens of other similarly generic "futuristic soldiers" from tons of other games

Cmon, GT. The Master Chief isn't a common mindless futuristic Duke Nukem/clone trooper (from Republic Commando)/Gordan Freeman. He has a personality that they show through him being compassionate, gung-ho and his times when they actually show him showing that he is indeed human.

As for the SNES...I think it's somewhat overrated...I mean sure, Squaresoft RPGs and Marios...but the Genesis was just as good. That isn't to say that the SNES isn't good...but I don't think it's the greatest console to date. Sega has ALWAYS had great games that could rival Nintendo's or Sony's best. Sonic 3, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, the Sega Sports games are all incredible. Not to mention the Dreamcast...now THERE is a system. But anyway, all the past gen consoles (except the Lynx) have had great games.

I think Bungie did a decent enough job. With FPS, there's no need to connect with a character, because the whole point is to make you the character (do you find yourself physically ducking your head out of the way of incoming fire?). What's more mind-boggling are people who relate to Gordon Freeman of Half-Life. Some people think he's awesome because he's at once a physicist and an alien ass-kicker. However, there's no weight behind the idea Freeman-as-physicist -- he's just another viewpoint into a shooter world. He's the FP equivalent of characters like Crono from Chrono Trigger or the main character in DQVIII (but it works better in a FP game). Will be interesting if vgs ever develop to the point of where you can carry on dynamic conversations with AI characters.