Superman Returns (the movie)

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
My wife and I watched the Superman Returns DVD last night (I'm specifying so no one confuses it with the game). The movie was well done, but for some reason I still don't love it. Last night I discovered that reason: I hate Lois Lane. In the old movies she was clueless to Clark, but still likable. Not so in this one. I understand that she felt rejected and wrote a nasty article about Supes. But what I don't like is that she's been lying to her beau for 5 years! She knew the baby was Supes'. What does that say about her character? She's a liar. Next, and this is something my wife pointed out, for her to convince said beau that the baby is his, she would have had to jump in bed with him immediately. Superman departed without saying goodbye, so she didn't even know he was gone (I mean, he's Superman and could be out saving the planet or something). It had to be within weeks of his departure before she was knocking boots with someone new. If Superman were her true love, she would have worried and waited or even search for him with all the resources available. That makes her a lying slut. She didn't deserve either guy. How do you have sympathy for her then?

And you can't hate Richard (the gullible guy who believes her when she says the baby is his). He loves his woman and his "son". He's a boyscout just like Clark and Supes. In fact, he's a standup guy, isn't a weenie, is actually bold, and has a plane (so he can fly . . .) He's a Superman without powers! Lois found her a Superman substitute! Lying slut who is using her man. She makes a sorry attempt at hiding her feelings towards the caped crusader too and Richard gets it thrown in his face. He has to endure the humiliation of finding that her password isn't his name or their son's, but Superman. And after realizing that Superman may indeed be competition for Lois' heart, he STILL goes back to save him! I would have been tempted to toss Lois out of the plane and let her and Supes go feed the fishies. Yet, she has refused to marry him (after accepting and engagement ring).

Does anyone else have a problem with the new Ms. Lois Lane?

I think what's funny is that James Marsden came from X-Men 3 where he was treated like a complete chump with super powers to become the chump without super powers in Superman Returns. Bryan Singer likes to treat him as the "other guy" to Hugh Jackman and Brandon Routh.

Personally, what annoyed me about Kate Bosworth is that she just wasn't as spunky or daring as Margot Kidder was. Sure, she could do risky things that endanger herself, but she didn't have a flair for it like Kidder did. Also, Kidder was 30 when she did Superman in 1978. She seemed more believable as an established, big-time journalist with an air of cynicism from years of climbing the career ladder. Kate Bosworth is 23 years old, and looks it. How many big-name, bylines will you find in the New York Times or the Chicago Tribune of reporters who are under 30, let alone 25? I just couldn't get my head wrapped around that when I thought about it some.

Maybe that's why she seemed immature. Lois Lane is a prime example of a strong woman. Kate seemed inexperienced with life. She also didn't have the mother-child chemistry with little Supes. Oh yeah, and who takes their kid with them when trespassing onto an unknown luxury boat when investigating a mysterious power outage? She failed on the mom part too.

One more thing about her. She acted like she didn't even know who Clark was. That was always the guy she cried to about her love woes. He was firmly locked into the Friend Zone and all guys who have fallen into that black hole sympathized with him. This movie was all about Supes and failed to really establish Kent. You could almost leave Clark out of it altogether and have the same movie. It needed to have more of the struggle within him. They nailed it with Spiderman/Peter Parker, so it shouldn't have been too difficult to figure out. Clark Kent's struggles are essential to the story.

Darth_Jonas said:
Maybe that's why she seemed immature. Lois Lane is a prime example of a strong woman. Kate seemed inexperienced with life. She also didn't have the mother-child chemistry with little Supes. Oh yeah, and who takes their kid with them when trespassing onto an unknown luxury boat when investigating a mysterious power outage? She failed on the mom part too.

One more thing about her. She acted like she didn't even know who Clark was. That was always the guy she cried to about her love woes. He was firmly locked into the Friend Zone and all guys who have fallen into that black hole sympathized with him. This movie was all about Supes and failed to really establish Kent. You could almost leave Clark out of it altogether and have the same movie. It needed to have more of the struggle within him. They nailed it with Spiderman/Peter Parker, so it shouldn't have been too difficult to figure out. Clark Kent's struggles are essential to the story.

Yeah, as cheesy as Superman II was, you really got the sense of personal anguish that Clark Kent wen through being unable to just act normal and tell the woman he loved how he felt because of his responsibilities. Like Spider-Man 2, in Superman II, he tries to give up his powers, but eventually comes to the realization that something like that just isn't simple. Maybe Superman Returns would have been more entertaining if Clark Kent had more moments of just trying to put his life back together...and DAMMIT, why doesn't anyone at the Daily Planet really get suspicious that Kent disappeared for the EXACT amount of time that Superman did????

another good point. Did no one but Jimmy Olson even notice he was gone?!? Perry gave him his job back, but even he was impersonal.

Well I don't really think any cares about Clark. But Jimmy. And I seen the movie a dozen times over and over. Lois sucked as we all know but the one thing that was not shown is the fact that she lost her memory in Superman II. Returns takes place after II so maybe just maybe Lois is a slut. She was knocking around with a bunch of guys at the time. Or what if the pregnency was late, we really don't know what would happen with a Superkid, Hell it could've taken almost a year for her to show and by then she was "in love".

I really wanted more from the movie just as much as everyone else, SOme points didn't hold up well. Like you guys said the Clark Kent was just non-exsitant in the movie. MAybe all theses problems will be solved in the next moive. SInger did an OK job with Xmen but a better job in X2 so we will see. As long as Bret dose not go anywhere near these i'm fine.

I always thought clark was the guy no one really notice, and that why he was able to hide so well cause no one in there right mind would think that a geek like clark could be superman. That's why superman doesn't wear a mask cause nobody really looks clark in the face.

well, you're kind of right. No one really noticed him early on in the comics. However, he spent years working alongside Lois. She took his loyalty for granted, but he was always there for her. She would hold a conversation with him but never really look at him, or go off on him for something that was not his fault (or was done deliberately by him to hide his identity). The writers liked to play on the "she almost discovered him" thing. It was touched on only once in the new movie when his glasses fell off and she was right in front of him.

James Marsden also plays the "other guy" in "The Notebook". In each of these movies, he plays a all-around great guy, boy-scout type, honourable, and so-on, opposite a slightly roguish hero (Superman's leaving and mischeivousness making him roguish in this particular movie). So far, he has yet to get the girl.

I thought it was a great film, though not enough action. It kinda bombed at the box office but I think the sequel will be a much better film. (as X2 was to X1)

Back to Clark and the whole secret identity thing. I always liked the explanation that Superman's lack of a mask led everyone to believe he was Superman 24/7 and that he didn't have a secret identity. So no one noticed becuase no one looked for an alter ego.

Although the whole coming back at the same time thing should have tipped everyone off. Come on!

How could they have done it differently?

Personally, I would have him simply come back as Clark and try "civilian" life for a while. Let the pressure to be the caped crusader finally overwhelm him and he save the day again. Oh wait, that's Superman 2. Ah well.

Supes could have hung around for a year or so than Clark shows up from Smallville. It's not like the commute from Kansas to Metropolis would be that difficult for him.

Trying to rack up the required amount of posts for the monthly challenge, Broham? Keep at it, glad you're here.

Back to Supes/Clark, what if they spun it the other way? What if Superman came back and kept Clark Kent struggling to find his place again before coming back to the Planet? It could also be that instead of it being "this is a job for Superman!" that they have a problem only Clark Kent could resolve.