Steam Valentine Sale

Squigly

Undead Gamer
Registered
Nov 10, 2014
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/valentine/

I believe that this is a first for Steam. Lots of decent co-op titles on sale here, including Don't Starve Together, Terraria, Battleblock Theater and Lethal League.

What do you think this spells for Steam? Will we be seeing mini-sales for occasions like Valentines Day and Easter as well as the huge Summer and Winter Sales from now on?

Didn't they already do those "mini-sales" the years before? Not necessarily for valentines day, but I seem to remember them having things like black friday and easter sales before. I do still like this sale though, even though I'm not going to buy anything. But as far as I know, this being a co-op only sale is a first for Steam. I'm not sure why they didn't go for a Visual Novel sale though, they are mostly more love oriented and suitable for valentines day, and I'd have definitely bought some of them.

Didn't they already do those "mini-sales" the years before? Not necessarily for valentines day, but I seem to remember them having things like black friday and easter sales before. I do still like this sale though, even though I'm not going to buy anything. But as far as I know, this being a co-op only sale is a first for Steam. I'm not sure why they didn't go for a Visual Novel sale though, they are mostly more love oriented and suitable for valentines day, and I'd have definitely bought some of them.

The issue with Visual Novels is that... well, they are Visual Novels. Most have a certain demographic and... I don't think I need to talk about them much, for you to get the idea. I think that they were hoping to attract couples (and other people) who might want to do something for Valentines day but don't necessarily want to go out, but would rather play games together at home. If I'm right about their target demographic, then Visual Novels would be the wrong choice since what Steam wants is "games that people can buy to play together" as opposed to "romantic/love oriented games". It's not about the romantic aspect, I believe, but more about the "let's do something together we both enjoy" aspect. Co-op games are better suited for that task.

Now, OP, I hope they do. Steam already did flash sales throughout the year (there is almost always something with a discount) and there is very little reason to not have sales for these other special occasions. Somebody is bound to buy something they wouldn't have otherwise bought. I just don't think we will see it with newer titles, though.

I was kind of expecting more sales and better discounts, but the Sanctum games are very good if you haven't played those before.

Yeah, there are mini-sales all the time on Steam - from the holiday-based ones like Thanksgiving sales to hemed mini-sales like the French games one they had a few months back.

Either way, I recommend Battleblock Theater. It's a really good game and fun co-op. :)

Holy cow I almost completely missed this sale! Thanks for the heads up! I just picked up Garry's Mod for 2 bucks.

Hopefully they continue on with these types of sales. I've always got a thing or two on my wishlist, and with more sales, the higher chance of getting a discount on something I want. Steam sales are pretty sweet.

I think that having more frequent sales like the Valentine's day one will add even more to the overall appeal of Steam. No longer will you have to wait until summer or the holiday season to snag the best deals on some games you have been wanting to play. People will probably feel inclined to spend more money on games when it feels like they are getting a deal. With the deals appearing more often, people will probably spend more on video games.

I think that if Steam sees success with this sale, they will probably move on to having more sales on other minor holidays such as St. Patrick's Day or President's Day.