Star Citizen

nonsiccus

Registered
Dec 4, 2014
Anyone else pledged for Star Citizen?

I bought a 325a and Constellation back when LTI was available and only recently upgraded my graphics card to allow me to start running Arena Commander.

Man, it feels great to be playing a space sim again. The combat still requires some polish, but given that this game is still years from full release, I'm extremely impressed with the graphical fidelity and just the sheer scale of what they have already (and aim to!) accomplish.

Check it out here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com
In-game footage:

I've watched my friend play this game and it was quite good. I'm not that into this type of games, but I might just get this game, because it just looks like I could have a lot of fun with it. The graphics are cool too, so that's a plus.

I guess it does take a certain type of person to enjoy space sims. I grew up playing games similar to it like Wing Commander, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and Freelancer so this has been a very refreshing throwback to childhood.

Also there are just so few (well, until recently) space sims on the market. Now, with the incredible success of Star Citizen's crowdfunding campaign, there are a huge crop of space sims that are trying to follow suit.

I did a long time ago but have lost all interest in playing it because of the long wait. At this point, good on them for continuing to work on it but I've since given up trying to get into it again.

I did a long time ago but have lost all interest in playing it because of the long wait. At this point, good on them for continuing to work on it but I've since given up trying to get into it again.

Really? When did you last check in to it? Have you played Arena Commander in its most recent iterations? It has actually come a very long way from when they first released the hangar module and the first version of Arena Commander. The biggest thing for me is decent HOTAS support and having some custom bindings - it's actually playable now as opposed to just a keyboard and mouse-fest.

A year and a half ago was when I last checked and by then I had lost all interest. I'm not a very patient person. I like to support the little guy in development but if I lose interest, I lose interest. Nothing will change that. It's a bit silly I know but I'm not the kind of person to wait around for something to finish when I can be playing games that already are if that makes sense. My window of patience is usually a year and then I move on.

Just an amazingly large scope to this game. If any game changes ´mmorpgs´ for the better, it will be Star Citizen. It won´t be a wow killer, but it definitely seems to have enough that is different to actually be viable alongside WOW, unlike the last 20 games that basically were wow with modest changes.

A year and a half ago was when I last checked and by then I had lost all interest. I'm not a very patient person. I like to support the little guy in development but if I lose interest, I lose interest. Nothing will change that. It's a bit silly I know but I'm not the kind of person to wait around for something to finish when I can be playing games that already are if that makes sense. My window of patience is usually a year and then I move on.
Well, just FYI then the game is in a state that has playable content, with more coming online soon. Though, if you're the type that loses patience easily you'll probably be better off waiting on full release since the game is still a very long way off from being completely ready. Optimistic estimates seem to land mid/late 2016, but in all reality it may even be mid 2017 by the time we see a polished 1.0 product.

Just an amazingly large scope to this game. If any game changes ´mmorpgs´ for the better, it will be Star Citizen. It won´t be a wow killer, but it definitely seems to have enough that is different to actually be viable alongside WOW, unlike the last 20 games that basically were wow with modest changes.
I think a lot of people view Star Citizen more as an enormous multiplayer sandbox rather than MMO. I mean, the technical definition would fit well within the confines of MMO, but the general tone in forums and discussions in general has been of that idea that we're going to be populating a "living" universe. Apparently AI ships/pilots will outnumber human characters 10:1, making for an interesting difference when it comes to something like WoW where NPCs are basically just punching bags.

I did not pledge and don't think I will, for two reasons. First of all, I think the game is over-hyped and that it will not turn out as great as people think, even though I'd love if I would be proven wrong. Second of all, I am not a huge fan of space sims, so it doesn't appeal to me that much.

I did not pledge and don't think I will, for two reasons. First of all, I think the game is over-hyped and that it will not turn out as great as people think, even though I'd love if I would be proven wrong. Second of all, I am not a huge fan of space sims, so it doesn't appeal to me that much.
I actually thought this as well. I would love if this much work was being put into a real open-world fantasy MMORPG. Sort of like all the work that went into WOW, but for a game designed like UO. To me, Star Citizens is going to feel a lot like the early days of UO, except for it being in space. We will see, I really enjoyed the orginal Elite (way back in the early 1990s) and also enjoyed Earth and Beyond bfore it shut down.

I actually thought this as well. I would love if this much work was being put into a real open-world fantasy MMORPG. Sort of like all the work that went into WOW, but for a game designed like UO. To me, Star Citizens is going to feel a lot like the early days of UO, except for it being in space. We will see, I really enjoyed the orginal Elite (way back in the early 1990s) and also enjoyed Earth and Beyond bfore it shut down.
Well on the plus side the fundraising of Star Citizen shows that the crowd sourcing model is an effective way to cut out the major costs of a publisher. It's a proof of concept that opens the door for a lot of other companies to do the same, assuming they can incite the same fervor for their game that Star Citizen was able to.

It really hit a niche that had remained untapped for over a decade and it shows in the 60+ million dollars they've raised solely through crowdfunding thus far.

I haven't pledged for Star Citizen, maybe I will, I don't know. But I have never pledged for any game, however, I'm thinking I might because this game looks really cool and I want it to be fully published and out. However, people have been saying that they've been waiting..soo. This game looks too high graphical for my computer though, and I don't want to waste money on what I won't use.

I haven't pledged for Star Citizen, maybe I will, I don't know. But I have never pledged for any game, however, I'm thinking I might because this game looks really cool and I want it to be fully published and out. However, people have been saying that they've been waiting..soo. This game looks too high graphical for my computer though, and I don't want to waste money on what I won't use.
The game itself actually scales down reasonably well. I was getting around 20 fps on a lower end gaming computer before I upgraded with medium settings. It's not super smooth, but still playable. After I upgraded (to a 660Ti, which is an old GPU by today's standards) I'm able to play on high at around 50 fps.

I plan to get star citizen when it gets a bit more developed, I am not comfortable giving out money to something that might not turn out to be what I want it to be. I am probably going to wait about a year or so from now, when they have more features, and I would be happy with the game "as is".

Well on the plus side the fundraising of Star Citizen shows that the crowd sourcing model is an effective way to cut out the major costs of a publisher. It's a proof of concept that opens the door for a lot of other companies to do the same, assuming they can incite the same fervor for their game that Star Citizen was able to.

It really hit a niche that had remained untapped for over a decade and it shows in the 60+ million dollars they've raised solely through crowdfunding thus far.

Well, it helps if the developer also developed one of the best games ever to be made in the same genre. The problem now, and this is more because of Pathfinder is that every tom,dick and harry, thinks they can design a game on a napkin and do a million dollar kickstarter before even starting on their game.

Star Citizen was a fluke because the developer already had a huge following because of his success with single player games.

I haven't pledged for this game nor will I do, because I think it wants to be too ambitious, and ultimately will fail in at least some of its aspects. I don't know how can they pack a FPS, a TPS, space-sim, space battles, and planet exploration into one game, it just seems too much and too large for me. I guess I'll wait for reviews and opinions of the released game before I decide if it is worth buying or not.