Sony vs. Sony?

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
Did anyone else hear the comments made by the Zune's project lead? He spoke mainly about the Zune and microsoft stuff, but he did get in a few shots on Sony. He commented that the Zune has stayed away from a gaming focus so the market wouldn't be distracted from the 360 and xbl. They want to push the 360 as their gaming system and he thinks Sony is heading for trouble since they are pushing the PSP (to compete with GBA) and still promoting their PS2.

I have to admit, it does seem that they are competing with themselves in some ways. A diehard PSone and PS2 friend of mine refused to spend the "ridiculous" price for the PS3 and said she wouldn't bother even thinking about it until the price came down, but the big kicker for her was that FFXII is out for the PS2 and looks incredible. She'll be engrossed in that for months and won't even think about anything PS3 until she has utterly exhausted the FF game.

Do you think more people would be clamoring for the PS3 if FF (and possibly other games) were not on the PS2 and only going to release on the PS3? Is it a bad idea for Sony to fight against Nintendo on two fronts (Wii and GBA) AND Microsoft?

I Read that too. It really does not. And Like I said before you can not try to battle Nintendo on the handheld in all the ways Sony is trying. You must find that audience first then slid in extras later. Kinda like Apple with the iPod. Is was just for music now TV and Movies. You have pick a target then sitck to it and bam the suckers will follow. The Zune is MS way of saying we are coming. Take a share from Apple, they took a share from Sony in a few years we might see them take a share from Nintendo. And then what once all fronts are covered they can pull off anything.

As for the PS3 yea ppl don't care to much for it now, I mean GoW2 is comming out for the PS2 and thats it. No ore big tittles. But all those games that you have never played are now cheap as hell. So why upgrade to a PS3 to play PS2 games? Ppl wont and ppl should not. Sony's tatic of making a system that can last for years shows with the PS2 and I think it's the one thing Sony can and dose well.

I can say that I would have a different view of the PS3 if it launched with titles that were worth playing like the killzone2 they showed or devil may cry 4, or even MGS4, but they didn't. They want to charge you a crazy price for a system with excellent graphics, but below average games. Microsoft may not be able to catch up with apple and the ipod, but they'll make a very close second. And for sony and the psp. I don't really like the psp myself, I'm more of a ds man. The DS just has better games point blank, PSP needs more games that feel like heldhand games and not consoles games on a smaller screen.

thunderking85 said:
I can say that I would have a different view of the PS3 if it launched with titles that were worth playing like the killzone2 they showed or devil may cry 4, or even MGS4, but they didn't. They want to charge you a crazy price for a system with excellent graphics, but below average games. Microsoft may not be able to catch up with apple and the ipod, but they'll make a very close second. And for sony and the psp. I don't really like the psp myself, I'm more of a ds man. The DS just has better games point blank, PSP needs more games that feel like heldhand games and not consoles games on a smaller screen.
That could be said for any of the consoles. The difference is that DMC4 and MGS4 and Killzone 2 were never stated to be launch titles. The Wii, for example, was supposed to have Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros and Prime 3 at launch...but we all know how that ended up, don't we?

That could be said for any of the consoles. The difference is that DMC4 and MGS4 and Killzone 2 were never stated to be launch titles. The Wii, for example, was supposed to have Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros and Prime 3 at launch...but we all know how that ended up, don't we?

Yet, the most important fact remains: no great launch titles for PS3. Maybe you can say the same for Wii if you don't count Twilight Princess. I could only fault Nintendo if they didn't reveal that those games you mentioned were being delayed in a decent amount of time. But as far as I can recall, there was ample knowledge ahead of time; it's not like gamers showed up to pay for their Wii but found out that day that some of the supposed launch titles were delayed for a few more months. It should not affect anyone that much, unless they're predisposed to be affected by such things. If they don't like the selection, then they wait. Same story for just about any launch (will we ever get another SM64-caliber launch title?).

Now, if said games get canceled or pushed back further down the road, then that has more potential to upset. I'm still upset that they couldn't produce Super Mario 128 or whatever that title was supposed to be. I'm not sure Galaxy is supposed to be it or not. Granted, that wasn't intended to be a launch title, but I hate it when that happens. Same for Earthbound 64...

If we're going to be including ports in the list of launch titles, then every single console ever has had a great launch (cept the Cube and Sega Saturn).

Fact is, the only decent launch for this generation was the 360.

Even though I thought the Laucnh sucked for the 360 and the games were average at best it was a better launch than Sony. It falls just short of beating the Wii in my book. Ony because the Wii suprised me with games like Rayman, and Tony Hawk.......say waht you say but some of the Wii games pretty steller.

And am I the only one who thinks Sony cheated everyone. I mean each company promised a whole lot of things. But Sony is looked at as the leader. Everyone is to follow them. They set the standards right? Then why the hell did they not deliver in the ways they should have. Sony should have came out GUNS blazin and destroyed both MS and Nin. True the PS2 launch sucked and thats fine I can pass that. But with the PS3 there is and was no room for errors. Because everyone was watchin Sony should have not made any mistake at all. The system is nice and holds lots of potenial, but what you get fails in so many wyas.

Mistake 1 - First of all no component calbes or HDMI cable included in the box. Sony talked big on HD and such. I mean my freakin 360 came equpied for me to go in HD fresh out the box. But NO I must dish out a full 600 then on top of that 50-100 to get a HD pic. Even nintendo screwed me in that department but they relly didn't offer HD so they loss points depending on the person.

Mistake 2 - NONE fo the nice games....if there are any.........Come in full 1080p. Sony you told us 1080p is true HD, we will have "TRUE" HD. We are stronger then everyone and have 1080p. But NBA07 is all I get in 1080p. RFM is only in 720p and depending on my TV it may down scale to 408p

Mistake 3 - DMC4 and Killzone 2 and a list of games that got pushed back. Elder Scrools, FEAR, Mortor Storm, all the games you showed us never made launch. Old PS1 gmaes did not make launch. Yes some were ports but you said we would have them I want them and I want 1080p.

Mistake 4 and the BIGEST - Two different systems. What hell is wrong with you people. This is not spart busniess at all. ITs really not. Its a waste of your freakin time. The time that gose into making a weaker version of a system can go into making the smae thing. MS had a good reason and logicly mad a point for doing so. But it was stupid I did not agree with that. Whay the hell did they waste time making Core systems and HDD. When they could've just paked it all in at once and kept numbers up. Sony did even worst. By offerin two systems that were the same with very minor diffewrences. Why not just make all 60gig or 20gig and sell the 60 seperate. I mean was not adding Wifi to one a way to cut down coast. I can't use my SD cards on a 20 but I can change the HDD just as I would on a 60. They both functuion the smae?

I hate each and eveyone of theses companies for making the choicese they make. Some are just plain stupid and some are a waste of everyones time. Even if some ideas work out it still would make better sense to not take the stupid route and call it a day.

You know, Luda...you're wrong...

Lots of the "broken promises" were never even really promised. Lots of them weren't promised by Sony. And lots of it is just you ranting.

You're right about the marketing strategies. Sony said to wait for them. They are taking more time with their product and it will blow away the competition. That was the whole point for people to pass on the 360. They said Microsoft was rushing it and they were taking the time to perfect their product so it would be strong at launch and worthy of the pricetag and the wait. They ticked off a lot of gamers in Japan by not making their big spending season of early summer (when school gets out and the kiddies need something to play). But Japan is loyal to Sony and forgave them for it. The West is not so forgiving. This is our main spending season. Most will get some kind of system this year. Period. Those that held out to see how the 360 has done and those who were waiting on the Wii or PS3. In the past year, the 360 has made a stronger and stronger case for themselves. Now the 360 is looking pretty sweet. The Wii looks good too, especially for the price. The PS3? Not so good. In fact, this may be their worst launch ever. Let's see how many bugs are in their system by the end of January.

Now Sony has to make up some serious ground in the next year whereas Microsoft has loads of games that may outshine anything else.

Oh my bad. It just seemed from some of the things said that some people hadnt seen it...

Thats why I said "For those that missed it before"

but what's the point of us seeing it? Are you making a point about the images? Is it supposed to show the little difference between current gen and next gen? Is it supposed to show the vast improvement? The comparison between brands? Our fascination with pretty things?

Pretty things are fun...
But anyway, it was about the whole "Sony lying to us" thing.
The games on the left of the first set of pics are what Sony showed before the PS3 came out. The games on the right are what they actually look like now. And the white words in the middle say "This is lying". It's a comparison of the two, showing that the games look nothing like what they were supposed to.

Then the second set of pics are the 360 games. They look great, and there is no difference between what was shown to us, and what they look like now. The white words in the middle say "This is in-game".

So, yeah...

spudlyff8fan said:
You know, Luda...you're wrong...

Lots of the "broken promises" were never even really promised. Lots of them weren't promised by Sony. And lots of it is just you ranting.

I would not say I am wrong because I am not. Nothing I said in that post wa wrong. How I said it could be wrong. And yes I was ranting. I kinda had a bad night and was pissed off at a lot of things. So allow me to clear up anything that was said.

Mistake 1 - I am upset with the fact that I could not get any cables with my PS3 for HD. There was no HDMI cable and there was no component cable either. Why must I spend $500 bucks and then amost $100 more to get even 720p. For the system to cost that much any for Sony to boast on about HD you don't even get to go home with it right outta the box. Would anyone disagree with me on that. The 360 comes packed with HD cables from the door.

Mistake 2 - It is true that non of the games launched in true 1080p other than NBA07. I'm sure Sony wanted them to come in 1080p but some develpoers are still new to the system so I will disregard this mistake. But the fact that Sony said. "We have True HD, full 1080p", but Not even your best launch game comes in 1080p...........Sidebar...........I'm sure we all heard of the downscaling rumors that ppl are having with HDTV's that don't have 720p, The PS3 will not upscale to 1080i it will downscale to 480p.

Mistake 3 - This was pointless, I was just mad that I did not get DMC4 and Killzone is still unknow. Is it in development who knows. But Sony did say this was gameplay and it will Launch but where is it now?

Mistake 4 - The 2 different systems idea is still stupid for either company. It then puts the comsumer in a place of which system should I get. This one or that one. Honestly how many of you really want to make that choice. When there is only one version out there are you mad? Sony and MS should have stuck with just one version. The production of just one system could have went better and more systems could have been out there at launch. Sony could have just mad the 20gig model and charged $500, Then said well here is a HDD you can buy to upgrad your system.....If you want. It was a big mistake for both companies, Even though it worked for MS it was still a bad idea to me.

spudlyff8fan said:

Yeah, but the Wii is not $600. If I going pay $600 for a console system I want the best not second ranked games you just picked out of the garbage, and if sony is sooooo strong and the most wanted system in the world like you've said before, then they should have waited until Killzone 2, MGS4, and DMC4 were playable full finished games.

Last edited:
Sony couldn't afford any more delay. The X360 is nearly at 8 million units sold, and part of the PS2's advantage was it's head start over Nintendo and Microsoft (except for Sega, but we all know how THAT turned out). Nintendo delayed a machine in wait for a game, and that machine was the N64. And we all know how THAT turned out.

I'll point out again: PS2 had the worst rated launch titles of the previous generation, and still came out on top with later releases (and DVD playback when "no one" had a DVD player but really, really wanted one).

But yes, Sony's games division is sorely over-extended right now with three consoles. I heard somewhere that PS2's are still selling across the USA... considering how long those last, I'll bet it's a sign of either stupid parents or fans saying "we're waiting two years for that silly price to go down. So when's God of War 2 coming out?"

God of War 2 is still on the way? Poor planning, Sony. To much zeal, and not enough meal. Which is bad poet speak for "rushed launch."

Actually, the worst-rated launch ever was the Sega Saturn, which can be accurately blamed on Sega yelling "SURPRISE, EVERYONE! COMING OUT IN 2 MONTHS!"

The PS2, actually, had one of the best launches which included Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore (86% media ranking), Time Splitters (83%), Madden 2001 (89%), Tekken Tag Tourney (86%), Ridge Racer 5 (80%) and Star Wars Starfighter (86%). I dunno what you're thinking, man...