Single Console Future

gillman

PC Editor
Staff member
Jul 19, 2005
Probably at Work
www.varms.net
There has been a lot of talk recently about bringing a single format to consoles. Previously all of the consoles have had vastly different OS systems in place making it rather hard to make a game that came out on more than one sku. There has been a lot of talk that people are starting to want the OS to be uniform across all platforms.

Just wondering about everyone's take on this.

Personally I think that it sounds like they are trying to describe a PC.

gillman said:
There has been a lot of talk recently about bringing a single format to consoles. Previously all of the consoles have had vastly different OS systems in place making it rather hard to make a game that came out on more than one sku. There has been a lot of talk that people are starting to want the OS to be uniform across all platforms.

Just wondering about everyone's take on this.

Personally I think that it sounds like they are trying to describe a PC.

unifying to one console is stupid...you'd then have a lack of competition and thus they'd be able to charge 600+ for a game console...that's absurd to me. if I wanted a unified setup, that is what a PC is for.

Best responce I have heard about thta is that it isn't the console that gets standized, but the software. Basically make it that all games come on windows and you pay people to make a PC for you.

What ever way that they split it it just sounds like more and more talk about how PC's should be locked down with more anti-piracy protection.