Sam and Max: Culture Shock

listereo

Registered
Jan 24, 2006
Boston, MA
I've been pretty excited about the new Sam and Max adventure games, and the first episode is finally available! I'm waiting for an activation key, but the demo stage is pretty neat. I was a fan of other Lucasarts adventures of the early 1990's, so it's great to see that old style of game resurfacing. From many of the same folks, no less!

I highly suggest you at least try the demo.

I played it when it first came out..I love being on staff here. It's a lot of fun..short, but it's very well done and still has the same level of nuttiness that was in Hit The Road.

I love the conspiracist convience store owner Bosco. They have this machine in the corner with tortilla style chips covered in some kind of cheese with the legend Not'chos printed on it.

Sam: Not'chos.
Max: They're mine, not'chos!

It was corny, but it got me laughing.

Give it a try. It's worthwhile.

I finished the first episode, and while short it was very consistent in quality and the comedy was just as it once was. It's like a funny book, in that the jokes are very context sensitive and at the most you chuckle, but it's all intellegent humor and if it's done right you're constantly smiling as you play.

I have a lot of faith in the Lucasarts alums working at Telltale (and Tim Schaeffer), so I put in for the whole season. I let my friend who's sadly Mac-bound try it, as he was once a fan of the original, and he was happy as a clam.

Good times, good times.

Just so. I can't wait to see what the next release will be like and what the next case will be. We're off to a very good, and very silly, start. The pull over scenes were also pretty funny..one of my lifelong dreams has been to pull someone over and accuse them of worshipping false idols. True.

I had to hand it to GameTap for the amount of other content they put on their service relating to Sam and Max. The cartoon show was a major plus..I didn't even know there was one. I watched one about the pair having to battle this demon refridgerator which was possessed by mutated letfovers that Sam had to eat. He had this shocklingly long and loud burp afterward which ended up plugging the ozone layer. I loved it. :)

I wonder how this review will pan out... because the game is great, but in a sort of subtle, cerebral way. A lot of the enjoyment comes from understanding how Lucasarts adventure games of the early 1990's played out, while there is plenty to be had without knowing all of that. It's also short, the graphics aren't exactly cutting edge, and the gameplay can be confusing at times due to a complete lack of explanation. But it still manages to be worth the price of admission, look exactly as the desingers intended, and be a blast to play.

Excitement and anticipation!