PS2: My Platform of the Year

OriginalGman

Registered
Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
Even though we are now in the 10th year of the Playstation 2's lifespan, it's still receiving new titles that keep the sixth-generation hardware from becoming a forgotten bargain bin item. And even though the PS2 is probably my favorite platform in terms of the sheer number of unforgettable titles, I only ever owned a single iteration of the system: the very first US launch version. While it was certainly a versatile and tough machine, it definitely started to show its age around 2005/06. I had to load the disc multiple times to get it to read, jiggling around the tray and changing the angle of the console. I tried getting it looked at to repair, but obviously it would have been way too much to justify. I really didn't want to have to buy a new version (even a cheaper Slim) of a system I assumed was about to become obsolete, but looking back, I really wish I had. Because 2009 was the year I realized I hadn't even scratched the surface of great games on the PS2.

With a still growing catalog of 1900 games, obviously there is plenty of shovelware and easily forgettable licensed drivel. But the truly amazing thing is how many games got their start, or got completely re-imagined with stellar results, on Sony's second console. Everyone will remember the first time they got hooked on sandbox games with Grand Theft Auto III, or the gameplay graphics that actually lived up to the beautiful cutscenes of Final Fantasy X. And who will forget being totally blindsided by the character change of Metal Gear Solid 2, love it or hate it (alright, no one loved it). Almost everyone who owned a PS2 will have had one or all of these experiences, and while the PS2 has enjoyed probably the longest time as a meaningful platform, most people have moved on to the current generation of hardware and found new things to love. But it took my buying a Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 Bundle back in 08, and sampling the games already out for the PS3, to notice that something was missing from the current generation.

This was the last version of PS3 to have backwards compatibility with PS2 and 1 games, albeit with inferior software emulation that I haven't had much of a problem with to date. After playing some pretty good titles in 08, I picked up Persona 4 and Valkyria Chronicles together right at the end of the year, after seeing their great review scores. I played through Valkyria first, and that game has single-handedly justified my purchase of a PS3 over a new PS2, something not even MGS4, Ratchet and Clank Future or Uncharted could do. But once I started Persona 4, I took my first back, and subsequently up, out of a world where graphics reign supreme and realistically wet t-shirts are more important than story elements. I logged at least 200 hours into Persona 4 last year, with just 1 playthrough, and went on to do the same with Persona 3. I also found copies of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Odin Sphere, and God of War 1 and 2. After playing all of them, my greatest regret other than not playing them sooner is that I had to buy used copies of most, not giving anymore money to the great minds who created these masterpieces.

So why is it my most memorable games of last year are mostly ones that I could have played for awhile, on an older piece of hardware? Is it the nostalgia making me enjoy the less polished graphics and longer save/load times? Or has the ripe old age of 22 made me not able to connect with the million sellers of today like Modern Warfare2? Obviously the latter isn't true, given the average age of the MW2 player. The only reason left may be that I'm noticing what matters most to me from games: a compelling story with well implemented gameplay. Most of the PS2 games I played didn't go on to be retail blockbusters, yet they are some of the most loved games on any system with truly dedicated fans.

They also all have successors or direct sequels planned, with Muramasa (from the makers of Odin Sphere) already being released. And after playing Muramasa for a few hours, I'm sad to say I put it down to continue playing Odin Sphere. While the beautiful graphics and great character design was still present, the gameplay just felt a little too simple and repetitive. While some would see Odin Sphere's system of balancing attack power growth with health growth through complicated alchemical and botanical means, it also felt very rewarding when compared to just sitting down to eat and creating new swords from anywhere. It's still a good game, but it gives me a sense of dread that the rest of the sequels to these PS2 classics will focus too heavily on the less important areas of game design that normally lead to better game sales: graphics, cinematics and multiplayer. After playing the God of War III demo, the basic premise felt the same, but the overly gory finishing moves and focus on quick time events make me hope they keep the story as well written as the first 2 games.

And now, with 2010's spring lineup of AAA titles beginning to drop, I'm presented with a new dilemma. I still haven't gotten a chance to play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Devil Summoner 2, Final Fantasy XII, Devil May Cray 1 2 3, and Zone of the Enders 2. As I strain to weave together old and new game playing time, I can only hope the newer titles start to hook me in soon. There's only so many great games from the last generation.

Other amazing PS2 games you may not have played: the Onimusha series, the Sly Cooper series, Jak and Daxter, Xenosaga

I have to say that, to a substantial degree, I agree that the PS2 remains a more than viable console for my use, but for sort of a different reason. As a fan of obsolete 2D fighters with a love of disposable pop music, my continued usage of the PS2 is mostly because the lower cost games hitting the system as it stands as a survivor of the last generation are at the very least as good as the bargain bin rubbish being released for Wii. In the last year, I've bought piles upon piles of Neo Geo anthologies and rereleases, not to mention the very impressive Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, for the system, all of which cost less than fifteen dollars and all of which I've logged substantial playtime on, and even though Sony's continued first party support of the system is clearly aimed at the casual market with their Singstar titles, those are among the best games to pull out at a social gathering where people might not be that into video games. I do love my current gen systems, but the PS2 should by no means be disregarded quite yet.

As a 2d fighting game fan, the PS2 is still getting at least a few purchase per year out of me, including games like King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match, King of Fighters XI, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, and probably a couple other games not made by SNK.

But it's growing ever-weaker in terms of new releases (though that obviously doesn't take away from the quality of previous releases).

The last few new releases are trickling out for the PS2. But I was just trying to express how I had more enjoyment playing older PS2 releases last year than most of the newer titles, and I played a hell of a lot of 2009's big releases. For anyone who may be feeling a little disillusioned by all the WWII shooters and sandbox action-adventures titles, I just wanted to remind them that there's probably a ton of amazing, unique titles they missed on the PS2. I really hope Sony implements a PS2 game download system for the PSN sometime soon.