online stuff?

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
Ok, so I know a few people who own Wii's. They are happy that they can get online with it, but what can they do? The weather channel? As cute as that is, and the Wii friends are, they haven't really found a way to make the Wii do anything interesting online.

Before the days of xbl, we would link up to other halo players by going through our pc's and then online to other players. Is this possible with Wii? If so, who is out there to connect to?

I don't know if there is anyway to connect to play games, but you can log on to mycast.orb.com on your PC (not mac) and Wii, and create an account in order to connect your PC to your Wii. By doing this you should be able to listen to itunes, watch movies, and use any media you have on your computer. Also, Pokemon Battle will be released in the next couple months and the online multiplayer will begin.

Just as with the DS, the online multiplayer for Wii is seeing a delayed release. In the mean time, all there is is Weather, News, Mii sharing, and Virtual Console downloads.

It kinda sucks but I can wait a while. But as funny as it may sound the Online channel is pretty cool. Which makes no since to me. But wht seems to be the problem why can they not connect to internet.

The mention of Pokemon brought a possible flaw with Wii to mind. What happens if the only games the Wii has for online use turn out to be Pokemon-esque games or kiddie games in general?

If they (Nintendo and developers) focus only on the youngling market, will the online part of the Wii end up flopping?

there are too many developers focusing on FPS for that to happen, once a solid FPS is released developers will expand on it and add online functionality, but for now they are still trying to figure out the Wiimote/nunchuk functions, and the capabilities of the Wii in general. (plus super smash will be online and that is one of the best multiplayer games on the market to date)

Yeah, but the difference between the Wii and DS is that the Wii was promised to have online games at launch. Red Steel was promised to have online. An online Metroid Prime 3 was promised. And they said that other games would have online. But this is Nintendo...they never keep their promises...

spudlyff8fan said:
Yeah, but the difference between the Wii and DS is that the Wii was promised to have online games at launch. Red Steel was promised to have online. An online Metroid Prime 3 was promised. And they said that other games would have online. But this is Nintendo...they never keep their promises...

Yes, because sony and ms kept there promises 100% with the launch of all thier systems and games. Sony said that killzone2 and dmc4 would be launch titles. Dmc 4 is still a good 10 months away and killzone 2 hasn't even be heard of again. Every company breaks a promise lets not just make it out to be a nintendo only thing. And at least nintendo is kickin' out good games, and so is the 360.

Last edited:
This is true Nintendo will be puttin out good games. But as far as online I really don't know. What striks me as curious is that some of the DS games I see with Wi-Fi is kinda weird. Castlevania is one of them to have a online co-op mode. So Nintendo might have some crazy games on the way for online, or they may not.

PrinceLUDA21 said:
This is true Nintendo will be puttin out good games. But as far as online I really don't know. What striks me as curious is that some of the DS games I see with Wi-Fi is kinda weird. Castlevania is one of them to have a online co-op mode. So Nintendo might have some crazy games on the way for online, or they may not.

The wi-fi for castlevania is for something called shop mode. The co-op mode is just wireless conn between two DSs.

thunderking85 said:
Yes, because sony and ms kept there promises 100% with the launch of all thier systems and games. Sony said that killzone2 and dmc4 would be launch titles. Dmc 4 is still a good 10 months away and killzone 2 hasn't even be heard of again. Every company breaks a promise lets not just make it out to be a nintendo only thing. And at least nintendo is kickin' out good games, and so is the 360.
No they didn't. Capcom said DMC4 would be a lauch title, and they never said that for Killzone. And look at the next two months of games and see who is putting out good games on the next-gen consoles. It certainly isn't Nintendo.

Warioware: Smooth Moves just came out, and anyone who follows Nintendo knows we all get to wait a couple months for the next high-profile release from them. Therein lies Nintendo's key fault: even if it's quality over quantity, too few and too far apart is still too few and too far apart. Players are insatiable, and these games rarely hold a player's attention for several months.

Without a game with seemingly unlimited replay value like Smash Bros, the Wii can quickly become a paper weight during these droughts. The Virtual Console can help, but catching up on one's game history doesn't compare to the feeling of diving through a fresh, high quality gaming experience.

spudlyff8fan said:
No they didn't. Capcom said DMC4 would be a lauch title, and they never said that for Killzone. And look at the next two months of games and see who is putting out good games on the next-gen consoles. It certainly isn't Nintendo.

Ok so they got The Godfather: Blackhand Edition,Heatseeker a ace combat type game,PoP: Rival words,SSX Blur,Sonic and the Secret Rings,Wario Ware: Smooth Move which came out already and is really good,Mario Party 8,Bust A Move Bash. PS3 isn't dropping anything really good in the next two month, and 360 just dropped lost plant. Nintendo is doing better.

Here is a problem that I find with each system. The wait. Anyone else find this a major problem? And I'm not talking just Nintendo. So Lost Planet just game out. Nothing really worth checking out is coming out in Feb for the 360 which sucks. PS3 is only getting VF5 and Nintendo well Sonic is all.

I don't know who to blame for the delays, developers or the publishers. And just as listereo said
gamers are insatiable. And we need good games coming out on a frequent basis. Because right now I' board with all 3 systems.

O YEAH I just found out MarioKart 64 will be on the VC next week.

Last edited:
With multiple companies backing your hardware, you get them more than once every few months. Sony has this advantage, and Microsoft is improving their stable of key third-party developers to competitive levels. Nintendo can't compare, and they know it: that's why they make hardware that makes profit on every unit, instead of betting on players buying loads of games.

February is a bad month, since everything is focused on December and anything that was just too late hits in January. From March to May a few high profile games will hit, and then the one or two games of the summer drought. The community is constantly stretched thin, with each key release just barely reaching the next in how long it can keep you playing. I don't expect this to improve: there are good years for films, and bad. Good music patches, and then years of recycled "me, too" records and poor follow-ups.

Games are nearing (if they haven't already reached) a point of quality saturation, where any more companies would over-crowd the market, and the existing ones can't rush their schedules and still have a strong product just for the sake of having more of them. There's plenty of space for small "casual" games to slip in between the major releases, and that's the last place left for growth before things really get interesting.

spudlyff8fan said:
You can't expect companies to put out big games every damn week.

I know but I'm selfish. And I would like new hotness pushed out faster. But I think it's the wait that makes somethings all the better.