next gen lack of creativity

Grantastic85

Registered
Apr 26, 2006
Eagan
has anyone else noticed this? that all games, are all basically the same, and there stories are identical as well?

like the fact that all role playing games have the same stories, all FPS have same stories, really what im trying to say is when has a game had a new and intresting story?

Well I guess since there are so much games, it gets increasingly hard to be original.
There have been some creative games, such as Prey, and a few more that I cant remember...

No I agree on the story part, most games are the same over and over again. But then so are movies, TV, Books, and so forth. There is only but so many styles to chose from. But it is how they are presented that is different. Gameplay is also a big factor in games. Prey was not that differnt from Doom then Doom is from Gears of War is to Killswitch. It's all in how the game is presented and how the creators deliver the game. Dragonquest and Tales of (insert the title of game) are the same, the world is in danger and only you can bring peace to the world.

Which is why I hope the Wii does well because it can then change the way we play games. Even if Sony does well with the SIXAXIS. MS change the way we online play with XBL but maybe motion is a little to early. But Gran we do need more interesting games to play, and trust me I know.

I've mourned the lack of creativity for a while. Granted, I don't sample all games, but go look at the top 50. There is very little variation. What I've been most disappointed with is the influx of so many shooters. A shooter story is very limited as to what story you can generate. You have to have an enemy, whether it's aliens, Nazi's, or other, and you have to have a gun and sometimes a knife. Racing games are the same, you either have street racing (which adds some variety as to what you can do and where you can go) and then you have the professional racing. Even RPG's have gotten to be pretty similar. And strategy games (like starcraft, Age of Empires, etc.) have pretty much the same tune with different singers.

From a corporation's perspective, why take a chance on something new? If what's out there is selling then you simply make one a little "better" or a little different. You're guaranteed a sale. The question I pose is this: what games or game types would you like to see?

You people just aren't playing the right game. Next time instead of buying some contrived RPG, anything by EA or the latest Unreal 3-based FPS (meaning any PC game...lol), buy a Suikoden, or a Shin Megami Tensei or Condemned: Criminal Origins. Silly little people...

spudlyff8fan said:
You people just aren't playing the right game. Next time instead of buying some contrived RPG, anything by EA or the latest Unreal 3-based FPS (meaning any PC game...lol), buy a Suikoden, or a Shin Megami Tensei or Condemned: Criminal Origins. Silly little people...

Those games are fairly unique in style, but as for the first two games you mentioned (Suikoden and Shin Megami Tensei), a lot of that uniqueness is probably due to the Japanese sensibilities that they derive from. However, over there, unusual games with bizarre or outrageous scenarios are par for the course. Regardless, too bad almost every Japanese RPG is about a lowly hero rising up to defeat a grave evil abroad in the land with the help of an eclectic group of supporting characters.

Face it, there's little room to be too creative with storytelling for video games as a whole, as it is an interactive medium. A book or movie can spend time on exposition, on developing subplots, on creating passive, reflective moments, but a game that makes a gamer stop to think about something like a relationship with a Bushman as a metaphor for the pressures of economic development in the third-world or the nature of the connection between Hegelian philosophy with Kierkegaard's Christian Existentialism during a quiet moment between alien invasions...well, that game will make me mad.

Stories should be well-written and thoughtful, but I'm not expecting Everthing is Illuminated to crop up on my Xbox 360 anytime soon.

Regardless, there are unique games that are available if you're willing to look for them. There is anything but a lack of creativity in games at this time.

Boombastic, Katamari were my fav's from the PS2.

But Spud what do you mean by saying people need to look harder. Is it not true that all games from story point are just about the same no matter what. IF I want to play something differently then yes I will find that game and love it. But storys are still the same, every RPG, racer, FPS, action/adventure, are all the same.

Yes, and Spuds, don't throw some game that's so based off of Japanese culture that I'll get frustrated with it (most anime and some games like the FF series). I know it's hard to develop something truly unique and I think the direction some gaming companies have gone to get the attention of the masses is sad. Now you have games rated M for mature because of the language and sexual content. Is it that hard to bring something fresh? Has dialogue boiled down to that? I don't think it would be too difficult to come up with something that isn't boring and stiff.

Movies had the same problem for a while, but the industry as a whole seems to be toning it down a bit. The main thing that bolsters the boredom in games is not only repetitive stories, but repetitive game play. If I want to play a shooter similar to Halo, I'll just play Halo. Many times it's the same games just with different skins and voice actors. Even if you kept the exact same storyline and actors, but brought in completely different gameplay and perspective, it would be fresh and different.

If you don't wanna play games with Japanese references, I don't know how you've played games this long. Hell, I dunno how you even STARTED.

And still, there is a long list of games here that have all been million-sellers. My suggestion is to just play non-mainstream games. Seriously.

Play Okami! It's good and unique.

Here's the problem I think you're all having. I think you're confusing plot with story. The stories are all different. They have different characters, different events, different settings...

What's similar is the basic plots!

Go ahead and look at every other form of media out there, you'll find that within each form there are multiple genres, and once you parse the genres down to their sub-genres and even sub-sub-genres, you find that each category of story has its own fundamental plot that never changes from work to work.

This is not a bad thing. We, as human beings, respond to these basic plots, it has been proven over centuries. They are good plots, we should keep them. Anything that doesn't follow these several tried and true plots usually leaves us unsatisfied and angry with the story-teller. Watch a few foreign films or really artsy films. Chances are you'll find that most of them either lack the catharsis your psyche craves or leave you unable to identify with any of the characters or situations. (If they even have characters and situations.)

Yeah, Okami is a good choice. Actually, any of the stuff by that development team is great. Okami, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe. All of them rule, and are unique.

Spuds, what I meant by the Japanese reference comment was that some games depend on you knowing certain things about the Japanese culture before you get why something is so serious, why a person is torn over an issue that wouldn't be a problem in the West, and certain things that are supposed to be hilarious that are lost to most westerners (we've discussed that at length in another thread). What Scoops said about plot vs. story is true. It's when the formula gets so used that you know what's about to happen before the game is even tot he first save point is when things need to change.

But like I said before, if you just had more differences between gameplay it would be a thousand times better.

Well Spud if there is a long list of games out there that are "non-mainstream" then name 10 I should go out and get right now. Other than the few named which I already have. (Okami,Veiwtiful Joe, Killer )

But it is true Gameplay is not all that different in games nowadays. RE5, and Gears may have changed the shooter/horror, but I just hope that we don't see too many games like that spew out like they did when Halo went big.

Okami? Viewtiful Joe? Killer 7? Condemned: Criminal Origins? Suikoden? Shin Megami Tensei? Guilty Gear XX #Reload? Dai Senryaku 7? Phantom Brave? Dark Cloud? Ikaruga? Guitar Hero? Viva Pinata? Xenosaga (though it's somewhat mainstream)? .hack//?

Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

spudlyff8fan said:
Regardless, there are unique games that are available if you're willing to look for them. There is anything but a lack of creativity in games at this time.

I agree with spuds on that their are a alot of creativity games if your willing to look for them, but we're flooded with so many stupid copycat game dressed up like the real thing that sometimes we miss the great ones. Kinda like how did that 50 Cent game sell. It might have been the worst game I played that year, and I would Iturn to some people and ask how did they like RE4. And they wouldn't know what I was talking about. So, before you blame the companies, take a look in the mirror. Supply and demand people.