Most influential

Yes?

i guess I'm not sure what you mean. Most influencial to you as a gamer? To other game developers? Most influencial for the fighting game genre?

I think the last question is definitely the one that street fighter 2 answers if that's the case. As far as the most influencial game to me, I would have to say Fallout.

street fighter 2 single handedly defined the fighting genre and to this day there isn't a single fighting game that didnt borrow a lot from it. From Tekken to Soul Calibur to Guilty Gear. Not including it is blasphemy!

You know, I might have to disagree with you there. I think SF2 was certainly the first very popular fighting game and many later games did pattern themselves on the deisgn. However, there were several fighting games before SF2 and it actually is a direct descendant of games like Yie Ar Kung Fu and Karateka.

I'm not saying it wasn't influential, but it wasn't really the first fighting game.

If you want to talk about influential, you relaly have to mention Super Mario Brothers. To my knowledge, it was the first scrolling arcade game. Before that, games took place on a single screen. Super Mario Brothers opened a whole world of gaming possibilities and every platformer today can be traced right back to it. It was truly revolutionary for its time.

[a]http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2005-04-13[aa]Penny Arcade[/a] said that scholars unearthed stone tablets showing that Jesus and the disciples played Halo 3 at the last supper.

Reply to: GhostToast:

Defender was the first side-scrolling game ever, released in 1980.

Anyone want to guess when the first video game was created?

I think the first video game ever made was in the 1950's but I have no clue what it was called nor do I know what it was about.

The first "official" game is Pong, which I stated in the TT was first created in the late 60's ('67 I believe) and then released in the 70's.

Anyway, Street Fighter 2 was only really influential to the fighting genre and not to gaming as a whole. Most of the games I mentioned have influenced gaming by giving later games ideas or were ground breaking for their time. SF2 may have been ground breaking for its time but I can only fit ten on the list and to be totally honest, I have never played SF2 and I know about this much (holds fingers half an inch apart) about it.

Street Fighter 2 was easily one of the top 5 influential games. You can't forget, KOF and Mortal Kombat were BOTH made to rival it. It was one of the games that gave the SNES a big leg-up, and was one of the most popular games on it. It was the first popular arcade fighter. It put fighting games on the map in America. It's coming up on its 15th year of games.

Another one that was missed was either Starcraft or Warcraft. Starcraft was more popular than warcraft, but it is one of the biggest online games of all times, and is still one of the most popular PC multiplayer games...but the Japan and Korean players have really taken over. Warcraft was big just because it was one of the earliest RTS games out there.

Reply to: spudlyff8fan:

Street Fighter 2 was easily one of the top 5 influential games. You can't forget, KOF and Mortal Kombat were BOTH made to rival it. It was one of the games that gave the SNES a big leg-up, and was one of the most popular games on it. It was the first popular arcade fighter. It put fighting games on the map in America. It's coming up on its 15th year of games.

Another one that was missed was either Starcraft or Warcraft. Starcraft was more popular than warcraft, but it is one of the biggest online games of all times, and is still one of the most popular PC multiplayer games...but the Japan and Korean players have really taken over. Warcraft was big just because it was one of the earliest RTS games out there.

I'll admit I might have dropped the ball on SF2 but just because a game is popular doesn't mean it's influential. Starcraft and Warcraft don't get a spot because, though they may be good games and popular, they weren't the first RTSs ever made so, technically, they influenced nothing. Plus they both suck donkey balls.

Command and Conquer was probably more influential in terms of RTS.

What about Tetris? Ultima? Tecmo Super Bowl?

Maybe interested contributing members should get together and expand this list out to 25, 50, or even 100. We can all nominate several titles and do a few rounds of voting. The resulting article could be a feature on the main page instead of just an editorial.

Dune 2 was awesome

does anyone remember a game for sega genesis that was called SOMETHING like "Herzog Zuwei" ? i was just a kid when i was playing it and we always made fun of the name...so i have no clue on spelling or even if that is right.

but in the game your avatar was an airplane and you flew units around and gave them instructions to take over other bases or engage the enemy and they would call out to you if they needed repairs or ammo. it was a really great little game and i think one of the first if not the first step towards a true RTS

Reply to: BCampbell:

Command and Conquer was probably more influential in terms of RTS.

What about Tetris? Ultima? Tecmo Super Bowl?

Maybe interested contributing members should get together and expand this list out to 25, 50, or even 100. We can all nominate several titles and do a few rounds of voting. The resulting article could be a feature on the main page instead of just an editorial.

Sounds sweet. 100 titles? That's like a chore and a half. No. That's like 10 2/3 chores. That would be huge. Anyway, I think that would be cool to have a top list of the most influencial games of all time. If it turned out to be 100 titles we could section it off to ten different writers to each do 10. That would be a pretty sweet project.

Here's what I'm thinking: get a dozen or so contributors together, who all pick 15-20 games. Take this list of 100+ games (there will probably be duplicates), let each contributor vote on them, then narrow the list down to the top 100 by average vote.

I would say have the person who nominated the game write the blurb for it, but I'm not sure what we'd do in the case of duplicate nominations. I guess they could just be assigned from there.

Who do we talk to about this?

-B, feeling doomed already to head this project...

Hey, Starcraft and Warcraft are great! Plus, like I said, they were influential in how they showed that online games really COULD work.

But it wouldn't be impossible to do the 100 most influential games thing if we all pitched in out game ideas, and did em in blocks of 10. The responsibilitY alsO doesn't doesn't have to Go to a sinGle unlucky perSon...we could all do a set or 2 of 10, and release em weekly.

Oh, as for the first video games....the very first video game-type thing was a wooden box which did a Duckhunt-style shoot the duck. The first inside a monitor game was Computer Space, but it isn't widely acknowledged because 1) it wasn't fun 2) it wasn't multiplayer like Pong 3) it had to be plugged into an industrial socket...so you'd have to unplug your oven 4) there were only 1000 made, so they were never the take-home things that Pong was. Pong is a good choice for number one, just because it proved that games are fun and don't have to be in an arcade.

Space/SpaceWar was the first "real" video game, but it also had to be fed through a card reading machine back in the day. The tennis game mentioned earlier was done on an oscillator, not a true CRT.

I wouldn't mind spearheading this project, I think it would be fun and an interesting article to get some attention on the main page. It would just take some dedicated contributors and some time.

-B, who remembers loading games from cassette tapes

Reply to: spudlyff8fan:

Hey, Starcraft and Warcraft are great! Plus, like I said, they were influential in how they showed that online games really COULD work.

But it wouldn't be impossible to do the 100 most influential games thing if we all pitched in out game ideas, and did em in blocks of 10. The responsibilitY alsO doesn't doesn't have to Go to a sinGle unlucky perSon...we could all do a set or 2 of 10, and release em weekly.

Hey! I've been Big Bossed! (Konami and the E3 2K4 flyer.)

I like the idea of a handfull of writers (10 or so) to choose 10 titles that they think would fit, eliminate the repeats and rechoose some other titles that weren't mentioned. Once we get 100 different titles we could do a vote via email, staff meeting or staff forum and then get to work writing the 10 that were assigned to each person.

I have some ideas on how to do selection and voting. I'm going to wait until there's some kind of okay from higher-ups. Until then, it's probably best to make any further suggestions in the crew forum post.

In the meantime, talking about other influential games in this thread can only help! I've been reminded of several games here that I completely forgot about. One that I haven't heard anyone else mention is Zork. It wasn't the first adventure game, but it was arguably the best and will be remembered by lots of people that way. It not only set several standards for adventure games, but also had elements that today we'd identify with RPG's. ANother important adventure game was King's Quest, it catapulted the genre from text-based to graphical.

fallout was the most influential game to me, but maybe not on the industry.

i dont know if it had any "firsts" but i think a lot of other games tried to mimic it's isometric view and hex movement system during the 90s, as a result of fallout's success.

plus the quirkiness of the universe in that game was just so great..

this is one of those games that i am in love with and therefore cannot write about because it clouds my judgement.

i would like to help with this undertaking though.
another influential game...hmm.....mechwarrior. you guys remember the first one? that was awesome for the time.

What are u guys talking about? i agree wit the dude who said mario bros was influential, but what about halo 1, that basically invented half of the stuff in modern video games, redifined the term 'good graphics', or freedom fighters, that invented the concept of commanding soldiers instead of them just standing there and looking pretty?