Is Sony killing itself?

Skullcandy

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
With the announcement of the $600 price tag on the PS3, how many of you think thats going to have a serious impact on the system wars? The Wii comes out around the same time, and the rumors say it will have a price tag of $200.

So let me get this straight, I can buy ONE PS3, or I can buy an Xbox 360 AND a Wii for the same price? I'll take option B, thank you.

I think what helped the PS2 dominate origionally was the number of quality exclusive titles on the system. As the years progressed however, there were fewer and fewer titles that were not released as multi-platform games, or that were not slated for a release date a few months after the PS2 release.

I know there are hardcore fans of Sony who will wait in lines and spend a months rent on the system, but I believe there are many more fans who will simply wait for the inevitable price drop.

Thoughts?

If Sony wants to reach the casual gamer, they will have to lower the price.

Adoption rates will drop quickly in 2007 if the console stays at 500 and 600 bucks.

FoeHammer said:
If Sony wants to reach the casual gamer, they will have to lower the price.

Adoption rates will drop quickly in 2007 if the console stays at 500 and 600 bucks.
Incorrect. If Sony wants to get MOST of the casual gamers IN AMERICA, they MIGHT need to lower the price.

Sony will do great, again.

And the PS2 is lacking in good exclusive titles now? Wtf you talkin' bout, son? The PS2 still has an ass load of exclusive titles coming out with the PS3 coming out in three or four months. God of War 2? Final Fantasy XII? Xenosaga 3? Valkyrie Profile 2? KOF 2006? Okami? Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner? Lumines+? .hack//GU? Phantasy Star Universe? Guitar Hero 2? SOCOM: Combined Assault? Tales of Abyss? Dawn of Mana?

COME ON, MAN! And where the hell are you living for $600 a month?

Last edited:
Lets not get angry or I'll have to slap you down.

The majority if not ALL of the games you listed were PS2 titles, which is not the system we're discussing. I can spend $150 on a PS2 happily and play those titles, but name me some games worth spending $600 on the system and another $60 on the game?

MGS 4? Final Fantasy? Assassins Creed? All potentially good games, but system sellers? C'mon now, son, if you wanna get angry at least pay attention to the topic.

And I'm currently living in upstate NY. Just wait until the end of August when I move to NYC and get to spend $1000 a month on a one-bedroom.

Life gets expensive when you're a grown up, one day you will see.

You? Slap ME down? I laugh at that notion.

Quiet, newb'. And how could you honestly think MGS4 and FFXIII were anything BUT system sellers?

And I don't think you've been here long enough to know that I don't get angry. I just don't stop correcting people when they are wrong.

spudlyff8fan said:
You? Slap ME down? I laugh at that notion.

Quiet, newb'. And how could you honestly think MGS4 and FFXIII were anything BUT system sellers?

And I don't think you've been here long enough to know that I don't get angry. I just don't stop correcting people when they are wrong.

Sony obviously has a very strong lineup of games. No one could say otherwise. It's just that they are releasing the PS3 with a very high price point and that might turn off some potential buyers.

Ah, it must have been the "wtf, ass load, and newb," speak that made me think you were angry.

There was also no correction in your previous statement, therefore I'm assuming I wasn't wrong.

I would love to play MGS4 at launch, IF its ready at launch, which it won't be. Release date now is 2007. I'll buy a PS3 to play MGS4, but not for $600.

FF titles I can wait on, there hasn't been a good one since FFX, and that was mostly story with the occasional break to throw a battle in.

Of course it'll turn off SOME of the POTENTIAL buyers. The PS3 will still sell tens of millions of units,and they'll only lose some of their support in America.

And I just like to swear. And you didn't say anything about launch titles. You said "console sellers." Was MGS2 a launch title? No. Was it a console seller? Hell. Yes. And really, you're not buying MGS4 for 600 bucks. The PS3 has enough exclusive titles to make it worth buying anyway. And how many new FFs have there been since FFX? Two that sucked in the past five years? That's not exactly a losing record. And even so, you're pretty much alone in that notion when it comes to people who play FFs.

Last edited:
spudlyff8fan said:
Of course it'll turn off SOME of the POTENTIAL buyers. The PS3 will still sell tens of millions of units,and they'll only lose some of their support in America.

Well, I never said they wouldn't sell a lot of units. I was just trying to imply that casual gamers will be turned off to a high price point.

Yeah, but they'd probably be just as turned off by the year jump of good games the 360 has on it.

The price point is only a problem with a (decent) percentage of American gamers. It's DEFINITELY not Sony killing itself.

spudlyff8fan said:
Yeah, but they'd probably be just as turned off by the year jump of good games the 360 has on it.

The price point is only a problem with a (decent) percentage of American gamers. It's DEFINITELY not Sony killing itself.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how the holiday battle shapes up.

Will gamers who are unable to get a PS3 pick up a 360 instead? Or a Wii?

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, and IF PS3 was the ONLY next-gen system in the near-future, I could see the high selling price. What I'm saying is that with the competition with the Wii and the already established Xbox 360, what unreleased secret does Sony have planned to sell itself?

Is Sony too egotistical? They have, imo, dominated the gaming market since the release of the origional Playstation. Everyone wanted a Playstation and why not? It was fairly inexpensive, had ground-breaking titles, and there was no competition other than the Dreamcast, (great system btw.)

Now it has competition, and to me the $600 price tag is saying, "We are Sony, you can do no better. Buy it or you're a loser." That may work with the younger crowd, but the average gamer now is 30. No lie, 30. Sony wants me to buy a system? SELL me a system. I have seen very little effort on Sony's part to do so.

They do not need a special little secret because the VAST MAJORITY OF THE WORLD STILL HAS SONY ON TOP OF THE MOST-DESIRED LIST! Seriously, they're still on top. That's all there is to it.

So do you believe that because Sony is on top, which I agree with and have already stated, that this is the reason for the $600? Do they feel that the competition is NOT competition?

Skullcandy said:
So do you believe that because Sony is on top, which I agree with and have already stated, that this is the reason for the $600? Do they feel that the competition is NOT competition?
I THINK (with my head, not like how you feel something which is wholly incorrect) that the reason they have a $600 tag is because of the Blue Ray player, which makes it useful in more ways than just gaming. But I also think that most people want the loads of series that they can get for the PS3. People still want Final Fantasy, people still want Devil May Cry, people still want Tekken, and people are definitely going to end up buying millions of the console. The 360 is definitely going to give them a problem, yeah, but apparently not that big of a problem.

What about the Wii?

I personally don't think that in the long run Nintendo will keep pace. They've already fallen nearly off the board, but if the PS3 and Wii come out around the same time, and the Wii is $400 less, how big of an impact do you think it will have on PS3 sales?

Skullcandy said:
What about the Wii?

I personally don't think that in the long run Nintendo will keep pace. They've already fallen nearly off the board, but if the PS3 and Wii come out around the same time, and the Wii is $400 less, how big of an impact do you think it will have on PS3 sales?
Nintendo spammed some "not competing" BS. Not that I buy into it. But the Wii won't do much. People who want a Wii will buy a Wii. People who want a PS3 will buy a PS3.