I may be shot for this.........Remember the days?

PrinceLUDA21

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
Philly
What ever happen to the good shows on TV. I just bought Fraggle Rock on DVD am I wrong for that? But the Muppets what ever happen to them. I miss the great shows like that. The 80's and 90's HAD great and quality TV progams. I know the muppets are older than that but Fraggel Rock was my shot. What about School House Rock.

Here is a list of things I miss.
X-Men
Doug - Nick version not the ABC crap
TMNT
Thundercats
Loony Tunes
Tiny Toons
Darkwing Duck
Chip & Dale
Muppet Babies
Speed Racer
He-Man
The Orignal Power Rangers
Spiderman

memories

I do have to admit that cartoons have gone down in quality significantly. Most don't even look better. Whether that's because of style or because the artists rendering them on computers (instead of hand drawing them) take shortcuts, I don't know. But the subject matter is sadly lacking. Bugs Bunny was so much more interesting than the crap they put on today. Why else do they continue to show these shows? Because there's nothing out there right now that surpasses them. Ideally, shows like Muppets, Fat Albert, GI Joe, Transformers and Looney Tunes would be replaced with new, better shows. Granted, some of those shows fell into the hands of bad writers and artists and ended within a season or two, but not all of them.

Tom and Jerry
Underdog
Birdman
Flintsontes
Jetsons
Gargoyels
Duck Tales
Ghostbusters

REN AND STIMPY - CLASSIC

Man what ever happen to the world. I feel sorry for the children of today the next generation. They must re-use the cartoons that I mor older ppl grew up with. Because it's not about being original anymore with cartoons it's about how much money this can make or lets bring this back to make more money. But I do like the one show thats on Nick the Fairy Godparents or something like that. Dude with the Green hair is funny. O and Invader Zim was a great show.

GARGOYLES, HELL F#$@'IN YEAH!!!

remember...

swat kats
Rocko's modern life
ren & stimpy
sonic the hedgehog (sat. morning version)
eek the cat
supa mario bros. supa show!
Captin N
Mighty Max
Big Guy and Rusty

there's still a few good shows on the air nowadays, they just don't show them on sat mornings anymore:

2 stupid dogs
dexter's lab
samurai jack
batman superman adventures
teen titans
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Invader Zim
the remake of HeMan

Last edited:
Amen to the original Power Rangers... they just can't reproduce the same corny/heroic shows anymore :( Same goes for the original Sonic cartoon. I was an everyday watcher of that show, and the Sonic garbage KidsWB spews out just doesn't compare (plus Sonic now has a whole neighborhood of friends... I remember when it was just Tails being his pal). I never had cable, but I used to be a fan of Nickelodeon's gameshows whenever I watched TV at my friend's house, especially Legend of the Hidden Temple.

I had a ChipNDale Rescue Ranger computer game (and probably still have some recorded VHS videotapes of the show ^_^). My dad and I would play it all the time. He always help me beat Dr. Nimnall, or whatever his name was. Being a girl, Gadget was my favorite character.

the problem nowadays is that a majority of shows are coporate controlled, and the execs think they know what sells; case in point...Loonatics Unleashed, wtf -- that show is straight garbage.

also, everybody's trying to compete with anime since it's popular, which is also hurting the animation industry

Thankfully, as others have duly noted so far, we can fall back on the cartoons of the 80s that animate like Half-Life 2 on a cheap Dell. ;)

Justice League was the modern day most kick @$$ cartoon on television... and they cancelled it :p

Zim is awesome. So was Clone High. Interestingly, both shows were cancelled (Clone High after only one season!)

JV backed out of Zim, I think. Not sure on all the politics there, but I know the show ended prematurely because of a disagreement or something.

I really want those two shows back.

Cartoons corporate controlled now? Geeze, they've been corporate controlled for decades. I was watching a repeat of "Challenge of the Superfriends" (the show where the Justice League and their ethnically appealing friends took on the Legion of Doom) and I remember loving it as a kid. Watch it now, and it's complete garbage (unless you're high).

Nostalgia has a funny way of clouding our judgment and talking about the good ol' days. True, I think shows like the Gummi Bears, Dungeons & Dragons, Peter Pan & The Pirates, Bionic Six etc. were quality shows, but for all that quality, quick cash-in shows that talked down to the (admittedly) young audience were the norm.

For those of you who can, check out Boomerang, the sister channel to Cartoon Network. They show "classic" cartoons from multiple eras. Check out such gems as Devlin, the Stunt Rider (a show in which literally NOTHING SEEMS TO HAPPEN), the Gary Coleman Show (yes, he plays an angel on this one), The Funky Phantom (another Scooby-Doo clone), Denver the Last Dinosaur, Gilligan's Planet, The Three Robonic Stooges (an adventure about bionically enhanced Larry, Moe and Curly), etc.

For every great cartoon from the 70's, 80's or 90's, you can name two or three crappy-ass cartoons.

The genre of the sketch cartoon has all but died. But there are a few that make attempts. They've found homes in half-hour variety shows, sharing space with other sketch cartoons. The format usually goes 3 sketches, 6 or seven minutes each, couched by intros and outros by a wacky host. Yam Roll is a title that comes to mind (produced in Quebec, probably not aired in the States). It's one of the sketches. Can't remember the name of the host show. Surely the Cartoon Network has similar shows?

Yea good ol Boomerang. I love that station. But still it does not have all the shows I love. Thanks to DVD they don't air them no more.

Pocket I know about those shows. They are okay but not great or classic. After a while they die off and something else comes out. Cartoons like that are only about the crazy things to do. One tries to out do the other. And America sucks because there are great gcartoons that you may have up in Canada but we will never get them here.

That might actually be true. The Canadian Film Board encourages animated shorts, and some of the greatest cartoons come out of Quebec (it's one of the few aspects of the province that makes me anti-separationist). The creator of Ren and Stimpy is Canadian (I think he's from Quebec).

REN AND STIMPY WAS CLASSIC. I love that show. That was back when Nick was in it's Glory. No Cartoon network. Heck I remember when TNT showed 2 hrs of Loony Toons on Sunday I think it was sunday. Salute your Shorts, Pete and Pete, All that. But I heard of some great Shows from Canada. Hey pocket rum me of a few I'll find a way to get them.

Darth_Jonas said:
but name some today that are on par with the good ol' Looney toons.

Of course, the original medium of Looney Tunes, and many of the Disney Cartoons, were as shorts before films. I think it added to the artistry, complexity and the sheer insanity that became a trademark of the Warner Bros. cartoons.

But, they were mostly cartoon shorts. In fact, much of the Looney Tunes material they aired on TV were originally shorts that had been shown on film. Regardless, those old cartoons occupy a category unto their own, so nothing really compares.

Today, the t.v. emphasis is on episodic content broken up between one or two segments within a half-hour space, in essence creating animated sitcoms. Writers have to stretch ideas into 10 to 25 minute chunks (which in turn are broken up by commercials) to fill about 20 episodes. Most likely the show they're working on is a product tie-in that is purely there to sell toys or the sugary snacks advertised during the show.

yeah, technically all cartoons are corporate controlled, but some less than others. John K (ren&stimpy) introduced the whole idea of "creator controlled cartoons". i'm just saying that there are cartoons on tv that weren't created by cartoonists. shows like GI joe and Transformers were basically 30 minute commercials for action figures.

Prince, I'm afraid I don't know too many. I don't watch cartoons like I used to. Actually, I lost the will to watch after watching Undergrads, Zim, and Clone High all go down the pooper within a year of each other. I have a hard time committing to another one, knowing that based on history, the good ones don't really last. And I don't think I could bear another one-season stand.

The Pocket said:
That might actually be true. The Canadian Film Board encourages animated shorts, and some of the greatest cartoons come out of Quebec (it's one of the few aspects of the province that makes me anti-separationist). The creator of Ren and Stimpy is Canadian (I think he's from Quebec).
Two things:

In my comic booky sketch book, I have a Powdered-Toast man sketch by John K (the creator of Ren and Stimpy and Powdered Toast man) from when I met him in Toronto a coupla years ago.

Secondly, the log driver's waltz is one of the greatest animated shorts of all time.