How do I play PSP games on a TV?

Joanjette

Registered
Nov 18, 2014
I've noticed posts about playing PSP games on a TV through a specific kind of cord or something of that nature. What do I need and how do I do this? I very much need to be able to play Phantasy Star Online 2 on my television, as it is the most beautiful game. Does region matter for the cords? Would Japanese games play properly also?

What do I need and how do I do this?

You need the PlayStation TV, the latest device released by Sony. You're able to play any PSP and PS1 the Vita can, along with select Vita titles.

What titles you can play varies by region. All regions have some semblance of games exclusive to them and lacking in another. Examples being the Crash and Spyro series, both are licensed for the EU and AS regions, but unobtainable in the NA region.

I very much need to be able to play Phantasy Star Online 2 on my television, as it is the most beautiful game.

This game is not compatible with the PlayStation TV.

Does region matter for the cords?

Not sure what this is asking.

Would Japanese games play properly also?

If you use a physical, imported Japanese game you're free to play it, but you'll be unable to have any DLC.

To use a downloaded Japanese game you'll need to use a Japanese PSN.

I know one of the later versions of the old PSP already had this capability so if you can manage to find which one it is I think there shouldn't be much trouble finding the wires to connect it to a tv. If I remember correctly it was the PSP Go that allowed this but I think even the Slim versions already allowed it as well.

I remember a friend of mine had some device that we used to project the PSP on the TV. It fit the PSP kind of like on of those plastic covers and shined a light on it. This was at least over six years ago, and I had one of the older (if not first) PSP models. You can try finding that, or you can try finding one of the newer PSP models; it would most likely be much easier.

My first-gen PSP (1000) can't do it, but if I'm not mistaken the ability was added to the PSP 2000 and PSP 3000 that followed - dunno if "you just used a cable" or if there were other hoops you had to jump through.

What I can tell you is that it was possible, up to a point, on the PSP 1000 as well, if you had hacked - or, as is known nowadays, "jailbroken" - it. There was a proggy, called "remotejoy" or something along those lines, that allowed you to "stream" your PSP's screen to your PC, in almost exactly the same way as if you were running some version of Remote Desktop, Splashtop or VNC on it. You had to use your PC as an "intermediate", though.

The "modern" way to do it is, as was mentioned, with no PSP at all, by playing the games straight through a PS TV. And there's also support on jailbroken PS3s for almost all PSP games, so that's another way to get them to the big screen, but it's hard finding a jailbroken PS3 cheap-ish these days - and I don't think it's worth it just for playing some old PSP games.

Yes, first gen PSP-1000 units do not have a TV-Out feature. However, later "slim" versions, the 2000 and 3000, had TV Output if you purchase the separate cable. There was both component and composite version if I am not mistaken. Amazon/eBay should give you what you need.

@squallsnake Wait, there was a "special' cable needed? Not some typical mini-HDMI or, dunno, 3,5'' to RCA stuff? Man, typical Sony stuff..!

I just remembered something funny as well: there was ANOTHER way to play your PSP's games on your TV! There was an unofficial but pre-made "mod" you could buy for your first-gen PSP, that you somehow stuck on your screen (or maybe you had to open it and place it underneath it - I don't remember) that worked like a "video grabber". It "grabbed" whatever the PSP displayed and "transfered" it as video signal to a monitor / TV.

I guess it wasn't too successful since I just did a quick search but didn't find anything about it :p