Hmmmm....How did I get onto gaming???

MissCheeba420

GreenGoody
Registered
Jun 23, 2006
Ludowici, Georgia
profiles.yahoo.com
It started about 21 years ago when my brother was the first kid on the block to have an Atari or Ninetendo.

Being from the south and having part of my life rasied in a trailer (single wide), when the family started to grow the trailer grew also. When my brother turned 16 mom and pops built an addition to our trailer or better known as "Big Toes' Dome". A room that my brother created into his great "Game Room".

In da "Dome" we had all types of kids that lived around the block to come in and have a challange on a system or just to get a glimpse of the near future.

I can remember it clearly. In the middle of Georgia's hottest month (July). A room full of guys and a couple of girls baking like canned biscuits in an oven. You have some folks on the floor, a few peeping through the window, you got this guy squeezing to get a better view, and this one breaking through and finding him a front row seat.

"Punch Out", "Zelda", "Megaman", "Mario Brothers", "Pac-MaN" and a list of other games that my mind can not think of at the moment. We had it all. Late night gaming to early morning playing...we were gamers.

That is how I came about with the gaming genre and I have been hooked every since. I recently, became more advent with gaming guru's when I noticed how much the market has expanded for gamers. From the additions of gaming saloons (Rhino, EB Games, GameStop) that can be your one stop shop for anything gaming. The never ending world of new and improved systems (Xbox, Dreamcast, N64...). A new job market for producing your own games, journalism, and testing, and even a little betting can be placed on a "Madden" disc...I had no choice to jump into the band wagon :tommy:

Ahhh yes gaming...what a wonderful hobby. Anything that can keep me out of the summer heat is something that is for me.

I think gaming was always more of an escape for me, or at least a more visual/interactive form of a book (which was my choice of entertainment while I was alone). I always feel so ridiculously young/newbish when these topics are brought up, because Zelda and Final Fantasy were born when I was. I've never been able to catch up on the Atari era, much less experience it. I have been fortunate enough to discover how much fun a Sega Genesis is thanks to my boyfriend owning one (we play lots of Mortal Combat, Twisted Metal (I think that's the name), Columns, Sonic, Kid Chameleon... good stuff ^_^).

Ma and Pa always outlawed consoles in the household, so the closest thing I could get to having a real video game system was visiting one of the neighbors' houses and playing around on their NES/SNES. I did get a GBC the Christmas after it came out, and that's what started the revolution at my house because after my GBC, came the GBA, then the SP, and finally the GameCube. Then the XBOX, followed by the NES and PS1 (ok, a little behind on the times, but I love those systems to death XD). That's pretty much my gaming history in a nutshell. I could go into details about the games that impacted my small gaming life, but that's a whole other paragraph and a half... so no ^_^

My dad was a massive arcade fan who played the Pac-Mans, the Burger Times and the Froggers, so he got an Atari which I played the hell out of. Since, I've remained relatively up-to-date with consoles.

The first game system I had was the Colecovision. Thus, the first video game I played was Donkey Kong. I think I was about seven years old...around 1982. Of course, everyone else had a freakin' Atari 2600.

I used to come close to swearing (didn't really know how back then...at least I didn't know how to swear effectively) while playing the Space Invaders knock off, Gorf.

I started gaming because a few of my friends had NES. Eventually, my parents hooked me up with one. Then I got a Genesis, then a SNES (each of these was a trade-in, understand, as I was only allowed to have 1 console at a time). I eventually got rid of my SNES, and didn't game for a few years. I played a little N64 and PSX at friends houses, but it wasn't until the summer after my freshman year (university) that I picked up my GCN, and then it started all over again. Now I own a PS2 and a DS Lite, and it's entirely possible I'm more avid now than I ever was before.

my mom bought me an NES for christmas when I was seven. She hid it in the laundry room of our appartment and then set up this weird scavanger hunt type thing where I had to keep finding these little notes all around the appartment, solving the riddles on each note, and then using the answer to find the next note. it kept me busy for most of the day, and then when I finally found my present I spent the rest of the day playing SMB and Duck Hunt. Good thing it was the only present I got that year....I wouldn't have had time to unwrap any others lol. been hooked ever since.

I was 4 when I got a NES and it was heaven since then. I had games shoved in my face like here Allen play this or beat this. Metroid, Zelda, Kid Icurus, TMNT, Punch Out. Yeaaaaaaaaa those were the days. Three years later I mad the folks by me a Sega Gen, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY I was in full Kick your ass mode then, that was around 92 i had a SNES but Sega was mine. If it was on Sega I had it, I bought the Sega CD, 32X all of it. Matter of fact the Sega I had from 92 still works I should go clean that off a get some Altered Beast in............*looks in boxes*.........................Ok I would say that games are my life I either had everysystem or played it at my cus's or friends house.

hey ya'll remember the arcade days................Man I miss those so much. Put your $0.25 on the counter and yell out next in SFII or Mortal Kombat. OOOO Run and Gun. memories...........*sigs*

When I got older I went deeper into what I know call addiction.............I went back to the games I never got to play things I never did before. Grim Fandingo, text based RPG's thats where my love for them came back, that and FFVII. I even went back to play ET, I stole my Cousion's Jaguar system. Now i'm stuck on games I need my fix all the time and i can't live without them. When I do become married there will be a video game section at the wedding reception. Plus all my friends are just like me.

My father was interested in the idea of gaming. Our first system was an Intellivision, followed shortly after by the Commodor 64. I remember playing the origional Ultima on that computer, and a game I used to love called Below the Root.

Next we had a Vectrex, which I still have and still works, though I've lost the plastic screens that went over the monitor.

After that was Nintendo, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, (sniff, poor sega,) Sega CD, Playstation, PS2, Xbox, and PC.

I'm currently mainly playing PC games. IMO there is no better system if you can actually afford to keep it updated. Its sad to see the decline in PC titles and the shrinking PC section in gaming stores, but for the moment MMO's are keeping the pulse active.

I don't really remember how i got into gaming.....I mean i remember getting an Atari when me and my siblings were little....there were 4 of us and my parents needed something to get us out of their hair.....heh....not really, they just wanted us to have everything that they could give us....The Atari was a sight for sore eyes....spent many hours playing games on that system......Our family were never the type to "keep up with the Jones' ".....But we had everything from Atari to every Nintendo system to every Sega System ever made.....Ahhh, the good ol' days, when me and my brothers would do all Matrix-style diving for the controller...Being the oldest brother, i generally won the battle....heh

First memories of gaming outside of the home involve Pacman in one of those table style game things at a squash club where my dad played.

At home, Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, and Hogan's Alley are the first gaming memories I have.

From a young age, video games, for me, have had a quality about them approaching profundity. There have been qualities about them, almost intangible things, that I have latched on to, carried with me, and tried in recent times to convey with words and ideas. I think I'm more interested in the transformative power of film these days than I am with the transportive power of videogames, but I think sooner than later there will come along a game that can transform.

Started with an Atari 2600 at two. Got a NES at five. Zelda was god. Got an SNES in 92'. Zelda was still the King. A Link to the Past was for me one of those rare games were you invest much more than time or energy into. There was some kind of connection with that game that I have rarely achieved since (games like Final Fantasy VII, Halo, and Super Metroid come to mind, but ALttP remains the strongest in this regard). Anyway, I got a Genesis after. Then probably a Game Boy. Game Boy Color. N64. Playstation. GBC. PS2. Gamecube. XBox. DS.

Early on, I played just about any game. Then I hit a big Japanese RPG phase starting with Dragon Warrior. That lasted until probably Final Fantasy X. Then I played Halo, which got me into the current FPS phase. I still play all types of games, but I'm intrigued by the uses of first-person at this time.

DUCKHUNT!! I did have an Atari, but playing bowling and Joust never really engaged me. Mario ruled when I picked up my first Nintendo. But hours and hours of DUCKHUNT against my friends really got the blood flowing. Viva la DUCKHUNT! - can't wait for the Wii version!