Heroes

I don't know, from what I've been hearing, it's the most popular new show on TV right now. They were signed for 13 episodes, then after the pilot aired, NBC tore up the old contract and signed them for a full 22 episode season. I think it's a keeper.

I would like to hear why you don't like it though, spuds.

I'm just tired of the whole young super hero coming of age struggle general plot. It was done better many times over already. Be it with Xman (the X MAN series, not to be confused with X MEN), the New Mutants, Spider Man, or even that stupid crappy Smallville show that I hate. As somebody raised on comics, this just something that tries to be something and succeeds...but fails to be anything special.

It's growing on me. The most recent episode seemed to have better pacing, and it looks like Heroes is picking up some speed. The characters don't appear to be young, WB (excuse me, the new CW) types. The cop and the Congressman aren't going through any growing pains certainly. Nobody, however, is an Ugly Betty as is typical for most t.v. shows except, well, Ugly Betty.

Some of the characters can be a bit irritating, and the show borrows liberally from the kind of themes, pacing and plotting found on ABC's Lost. I'll give it more time since I appreciate the fact that there is a decent level of attention being paid to details, and an understated approach to the special effects that would normally drag a show like this down quickly.

If the quality continues to grow, I'll just have to wait and see.

I enjoy the show. And just because someone is ripping off ideas from other people, you shouldn't condemn it. After all, George Lucas ripped off Dune.

The Japanese guys are my favorites.

did star wars really copy off of dune? cause, i think the movie came after star wars. and the show i am so sick of is well :homersimp , and the bachlor, I FUCKING HATE THAT SHOW! it was entertaining in the begginging but now all the crazy women are scripted.

spudlyff8fan said:
Regardless. It's like Xmen, but minus the originality. And minus the good.

Like a great person once said "What moves men of genius or rather what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but thier obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."

King Solomon said "There is nothing new under the sun."

Every storyline out there can be broken down to man vs. man, man vs. nature, and man vs. self. Even supposed reality shows are based off of that same premise. The super power take on it is a refreshing change from the flood of supposed reality shows. I say supposed because if a limo pulls up in front of your house and whisks you away to 25 beautiful women who are vying for your affection with complete knowledge that you're going to be smacking it up with the 24 other chicks............... IT ISN'T REAL!! Crap like that has nothing to do with reality. Give me something creative. It's called the suspension of disbelief. Good writers/directors know how to use that (like J.J. Abrams).

All I know is that out of all the new shows I've seen this fall, this is the one I like the most. I know it's a bit like X-Men, but that doesn't bother me, because so far, they seem to be taking things in a different direction. Also, it's definitely not a Super Hero coming of age tale (except in Claire Bennet's case, maybe).

[spoilers]

It reads a bit like an adult comic, actually, like something Frank Miller would do, or Neil Gaiman. There is plenty of gore (due to serial killer dude Sylar), and several of the powers have twists that make them almost sinister. Niki (Ali Larter) is a MPD sufferer with a mad violent streak, Claire kills her rapist - yeah, the cute blonde cheerleader (who is in the most danger of being CW-like) is a rape victim and a murderer - not fluffy at all. And Isaac Mendez has to boot heroin to be able to use his power.

So, not like X-Men in the least, not like Smallville or Mutant X or any other comic booky show or movie that's ever been made. I doubt we'll ever see them all working together, and I highly doubt we'll see any costumes at all.

scoops said:
Dude, go to the library and look up author "Frank Herbert". Jeeze - kids today and their fancy moving pictures.

Wait, I'm still trying to figure out how Lucas ripped-off Dune. I've read Dune backwards and forwards, as well as the sequels. Star Wars is an iconic story taken from large chunks of myth, legend and other adventure and fantasy works. Lucas took liberally from every story about a boy/warrior coming of age being guided by a wise man or woman (in this case, Obi Wan) having to rescue the damsel in distress and defeating the evil king/wizard/warrior in the process.

Dune, I think, is more original than that. Paul Atreides is the son of a feudal lord who is locked in a bitter feud with the House Harkonnen. The Emperor is afraid of Paul's father and his growing influence and uses the cover of rewarding the Atreides with the incalculably valuable planet Arrakis (Dune) in order to set up the House for disaster. There are worms, noble desert warriors, face dancers, mentats and a legal ban against artificial intelligences of any kind in a galactic empire kept together by mutant humans using the mental ability to fold space to ferry travelers instantaneously across vast distances.

I just don't see how Dune inspired a world of gay droids and cloned Kiwis.

scoops said:
All I know is that out of all the new shows I've seen this fall, this is the one I like the most. I know it's a bit like X-Men, but that doesn't bother me, because so far, they seem to be taking things in a different direction. Also, it's definitely not a Super Hero coming of age tale (except in Claire Bennet's case, maybe).

[spoilers]

It reads a bit like an adult comic, actually, like something Frank Miller would do, or Neil Gaiman. There is plenty of gore (due to serial killer dude Sylar), and several of the powers have twists that make them almost sinister. Niki (Ali Larter) is a MPD sufferer with a mad violent streak, Claire kills her rapist - yeah, the cute blonde cheerleader (who is in the most danger of being CW-like) is a rape victim and a murderer - not fluffy at all. And Isaac Mendez has to boot heroin to be able to use his power.

So, not like X-Men in the least, not like Smallville or Mutant X or any other comic booky show or movie that's ever been made. I doubt we'll ever see them all working together, and I highly doubt we'll see any costumes at all.

I like it too...so far.

While I agree that you can't accuse someone of ripping off an archetype story, Dune has many similarities to Tatooine. I have more to back up my ripoff claims, but I'm functioning on only 3 hours sleep so I can't think of anymore at the moment.

I can think of a few things. The Bene Jesserit are the Jedi, the Weirding Way is the way of the Force. The Worms are the thing that eats Boba Fett.

I wouldn't call rip-off, but there are a few similarities beyond the archetypal plot.