Final Fantasy XII

scoops

Registered
Dec 6, 2005
Toronto, Canada
bmunroe.roestudios.com
I'm reading up on the game now. I'm pretty excited about it, but a little mistrustful of the new battle system. I gather that a similar system has been successful in games like Star Ocean and Tales of Symphonia.

I'm very excited about the whole Air kingdom setting. I didn't play "Tactics" so the setting has no other meaning to me.

Everybody weigh in!

Right. I've been a FF fan forever. I'm not too excited about the game after playing the demo. The battle system doesn't seem all that engaging, and it's just weird to see final fantasy monsters roaming around in tight corridors. Seems out of place. The story does look like it might be pretty awesome, however: FF's take on Star Wars.

I'm very excited about the whole Air kingdom setting. I didn't play "Tactics" so the setting has no other meaning to me.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance's Ivalice has little to do with FFT's Ivalice. FFXII's is more like FFTA's. I much prefer FFT's Ivalice. :p

Yeah, if it were FFT's Ivalice, I'd actually be excited about FF12. There are at least 2 other RPGs I need to get before I can get FF12. Being Suikoden 5 and Xenosaga 3.

Here's a preliminary warning: If you're expecting an interesting plot, good characters and anything else that's positive in the story department. Don't. Though, the battle system is good and the alternate endings are nice. Like I said, Suikoden 3 is best.

If you really are big on story, don't get it. It's a good game, but the story is like Charlie's Angels meets Apocalypse Now. They don't mix.

Suikoden 3 takes place in a warring region that consists of the Grasslands, a band of tribes that consist of bipedal lizards (don't worry, they don't do too much if you're wary of demihumans), the standard "WE LOVE THE NATURE SPIRITS!" kind of tribe, the army of secluded women, the farming village and such, and they allied to fight against the Zexen, knights, horseback riding, castles and the like. Off to the east is the massive, powerful, world-spanning Kingdom of Harmonia, who employs mercenaries and criminals to guard their border. Many-a-year ago, there was a war between an allied Zexen and Grassland under the command of a guy named the Flame Champion, who led a guerilla struggle that barely edged out a victory over Harmonia, who was trying to take the True Runes back from the Grasslands, there are 27 in all, all of which are part of the world's foundation, and give the owner super powerful...powers...and the Flame Champion had the True Fire Rune. Flash forward to the game. There are three main heroes, being Chris (a female knight from Zexen), Hugo (an up-and-coming chief) and Geddoe (one of the afforementioned mercenaries).

Notable gameplay elements-

-108 Recruitable characters (they ALL do something)
-Good Plot (it's good even without playing Suikoden 1 or 2)
-Three Battle Systems (regular 6-person party fights, one-on-one dueling, and army vs. army battles)
-Deeply customizable characters
-Good replay value

Bad Elements-

-Some people didn't like the "Pair" system in Party battles, though I did, and many others did.
-Shotty graphics.
-You'll probably need to have MANY save slots.
-If you are one of those people who needs to get EVERYTHING in the game, you may need to restart the game.
-It's rare, depending on where you live, so you might have to order it online, and it's kinda costly for an older, used game.

My Score? 9/10

ORDER HERE!!!!

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=938425

Unfortunately, since I wait until the price of a game drops to $30 before I buy it (unless I KNOW I'll like it, like FFXII or Zelda: TP) playing it first isn't much of an option. For some reason, game rentals now cost over $10 (minimum) at the local video store. That's a third of the price. If I were to try before I buy, basically the price of the game goes up to $40+

you mean don't get x-2?

The best way to hit a woman's heart is to take aim kneeling.
- Douglas