Female Gamers

Beth

Registered
Aug 26, 2005
OH...IO
www.myspace.com
I am always on the look out for other females who play VG. Since I am always lost in the male dominated forums.

Any females on this site? I also do panels at various anime cons(my next one is Onna! fest in NJ) about Women in Gaming. I would love to have more imput to put out there.

I know this is a super lame post but it is two am.

I really think it is that women, feel intimidated by men in the forums, and sometimes feel left out of the loop, which is why many of us are closet gamers.

And Yoggs only counts if he pees sitting down. ;)

Why the hell would women be intimidated by these slack jawed yokels? That's just sad.

Umm...I'm Katie by the way. You should check out the Ladies Only thread in the Off Topic Section. It's actually mostly posted to by guys, but it is fun. Nice to have someone else without a Y chromosome around.

I'm a female gamer, and also an employee of MyGamer. However, I've never really gotten into forums at all. I really try, but I never can think of anything that I feel is worth saying. It's not something that's limited to gaming forums, just kind of an across-the-board thing. I do love gaming though - My husband (who also works for the site) and I pretty much sink all our spare cash into gaming, and a large majority of our socializing revolves around games.

I personally, dig a lot of girly games... Karaoke, The Sims, that sort of thing. I think sometimes girls get swept up in the notion that to be 'gamers', they have to be just like male gamers. That they're not true 'gamers' unless their tastes conform to a more traditionally masculine sensibility - the FPS, etc. But I'm really comfortable sitting down with my 'girly' xbox controller, and playing whatever I want to and not letting other people's opinions get in my way. I know I'm a gamer, and I love it.

Plus Beth, both of the above posting ladies would kick the majority of males' here asses if we tried to give them any shit. They have driven fear into the hearts of us all.

Welcome to the site as well. Let us know if there are any questions you have.

When i was in college i knew a lot of gurl gamers, probably has something to do with the fact that i went to an art school. There was this sexy chick that I used to play fighting games with everyonce in a while. I totally underestimated her and she seriously whooped me in some SFA3, air juggles and the whole deal. I seriously couldn't hold back when it came to battling her. *sigh* I totally screwed up any chance I had with that girl...thanks for opening up old wounds :tragedy:

I also used to go to these 3 chicks house and we'd drink and play halo, house of the dead 2 and time crisis 3. They were all about anykind of game with shooting. They had the guncon and everything....and we'd stay up and try to beat Ikaruga(great game btw). aahh those were the days :geezer: I miss college :sigh:

Oh yeah they're a few of 'em floating around here and there. But they're really mean and really bitter. I've even heard they have their own group called the PMS mafia. I'm not afraid of them though, I've got protection. :cop:

AjaKun said:
I personally, dig a lot of girly games... Karaoke, The Sims, that sort of thing. I think sometimes girls get swept up in the notion that to be 'gamers', they have to be just like male gamers. That they're not true 'gamers' unless their tastes conform to a more traditionally masculine sensibility - the FPS, etc. But I'm really comfortable sitting down with my 'girly' xbox controller, and playing whatever I want to and not letting other people's opinions get in my way. I know I'm a gamer, and I love it.

Hell ya! I am just as comfortable sitting with karaoke Revolution and DDR as I am with my Survival Horror and Medal of Honor. Though I admit, I can't help playing my FFVI(FFIII) game on my SNES over and over just for the love story. LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I am not too scared of you all. I have picked my teeth with tought guys then you. *is proud of her tournment win for both SC2 and DOA2*

Katie: I'll check it out. Us girls need to get together and talk games one night. My boyfriend isn't a gamer but is strangly proud of my cosplay in FFX-2 gunner Yuna and DOA Kasumi outfits. Dunno why.... :meditate:

Beth said:
but is strangly proud of my cosplay in FFX-2 gunner Yuna and DOA Kasumi outfits. Dunno why.... :meditate:

:shocking:

You're just lucky I don't do tournaments in fighting games. But welcome to the forums.

cosplay is costume play. Basically you dress up in the costume of a character from anime, movies, or video games. I usually only do video games. I have a pic of me in my Gunner Yuna on my profile.

www.cosplay.com is the largest gathering area for people who like to do it. It is mostly done at conventions and photoshoots.

It has gotten a bit of a bad wrap with all the 350 pound guys dressing up as the pretty boys from animes...

http://www26.brinkster.com/setsuna/photos/otakon/guts.jpg

Some that are just disturbing...

http://www.cosplayuniverse.com/cosplay/manfaye/gallery/1/110_1027.jpg

Some that are cool...

http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/animeexpress6/06/source/ae6-0432.shtml

and another...that is cool...

http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/animeexpress6/06/source/ae6-0439.shtml

And some that make you feel funny inside...

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~kyosuke/cosplay/favorite/cosp043.jpg

It depends on who does it and where...