F*** You Ms, Bungie

PrinceLUDA21

Registered
Apr 18, 2006
Philly
Okay so by know we all know about the Halo 3 Beta that was open to the public come this spring. That good Halo goodness in HD. But now word is out that it wont be open for everybody. MS is making ppl register and the select few will be able to play the game.

HOW MUCH DOES THAT SUCK BALLS. IT TOTAL BULL AND I HOPE SOMEONE AT MS BURNS IN HELL FOR THAT.

This means that we might not be able to play with our friends and such if they are not chosen. What if a non-halo lover gets picked and you Die hard fans dose not get picked. I am not a die hard fan but I have friends who are and I would not beable to play with them or what ever.

im ok with it actually, blizzard had a few selected players for the beta of burning crusaide, and im fine with it. i never expected to really play it, i knew there was some catch, but at least we know its comming.

"Yes! Pay to play my buggy work-in-progress, you fools, blinded as you are by fandom and capitalism!"

Oh-ho, Microsoft...

Limiting the number of people testing it is the only way to go. That way, you've got everyone registering (which will include a mailing list, I'll bet) and hitting your website, and you're less likely to get unsatisfiable adolescent losers testing the game and returning feedback like "TAEK OUT DA CUVANENT GUNS YO T HEY R TEH GAY WIT THA PINK" or "NEEDS MORE COWBELL."

And they get enough of that as it is, I'm sure. Maybe not enough cowbell... but is there ever enough cowbell?

Beta is not a pre-release demo. It's a work in progress relinquished to the public to try out all the things the QA team didn't think of. It's business, and making a beta public is a marketing trick. They could just as easily ask their friends and neighbors to play it, but open up the opportunity to the internet and everyone finds out. Thus, more buzz, and players are told to remember that the game will still change some after that phase. There are probably still unimplemented changes in the beta version of any game that the team is still working on that they couldn't stabilize in time for the public beta.

So no, you and your friends won't be able to play together. To play a beta of such a high profile game at all is a glorious gift bestowed upon you or your friends by marketing guys who'd rather get indecipherable babble about what could be fixed than a professional QA team's expertly delivered advice, or the gobs of journalists and other game industry employs who'd be able to convey their gripes far more precisely than randomly-picked-internet-brat. Thank your lucky stars the public gets to play any of Halo 3 at all before release, for it is a sign that Bungie loves their fans more than Microsoft has money to pay for professional beta tests.

Oh, don't worry. They are having two "beta" tests. The first is in-house and is slated for Jan-Feb. The second will be to the select public. I say go for it. Heck, they could even take the best of the best online players and let only them test it. The best thing they could do is take their worst critics and most experienced players and say "break it, beat it, and then tell us what we can do to make it better."

Indeed. A game like Halo 3 can take as much delay as it wants, really, to test until the programmers are blue in the gills from tweaking the Needler again... and again... and again... I'd rather see the best players from Live (top ranked or whatever) recieve beta than just any old fool, but making it a contest where anyone could win ups the odds people will tell eachother about the opportunity, which leads to "word of mouth" advertising, the wet dream of any marketer because people are more likely to trust their friends than any poster, commercial, or banner ad they could whip up (no matter how snazzy).

Ah, the glamour of trying to sell a product that might as well sell itself.

Yeah, I've seen both the entertainment promotional side and the graphic design side of advertising. The events with the most people were big not because they were the best events, but because word of mouth was properly manipulated. The products that sell the best are ones that get people talking about it. Every graphic designer's dream is to have an advertisement that sticks in people's heads and gets them talking.