Email verification/Bot deterrent.

"Starting to..."? LOL...

Seriously, miost of the spam we get comes from the viral marketing dweebs- the losers that get paid pennies to pose as "actual gamers", posting breathless praise (in their first and only post) for some game or another. Such folks usually get past email verification. But, its worth a shot. :cookiemon

ImagoX said:
"Starting to..."? LOL...

Seriously, miost of the spam we get comes from the viral marketing dweebs- the losers that get paid pennies to pose as "actual gamers", posting breathless praise (in their first and only post) for some game or another. Such folks usually get past email verification. But, its worth a shot. :cookiemon

Hi! I'm a gamer and that's why I spend all my time playing Superman 64. Superb graphics, awesome storyline & great gameplay. :smile: :smile: :smile:

I found this place (MG) from an email in my junk mail folder, I over looked it several times thinking it was spam...

I'm now glad I followed the link, it's a great gaming community with good talk about just about every game out there...

Peace,

That's another problem. Their "spam" attracted other spamlords.

Alright, so now you have to fight off the Chinese/Korean/non-English users paid to spam. Easily done.

Look for names with numbers. Watch them. Set your forum to notfiy admins on registration. When a person registers, hit the forums and look for them. The spammers will copy/paste their spam right after verification.

OP3 NinjaMan said:
I found this place (MG) from an email in my junk mail folder, I over looked it several times thinking it was spam...

Same here...

Oh and it wasn't a message that looked like spam. It was spam, I got the exact same email twice off the same guy (once on April 30th, once on April 20th)

Hardcore said:
Might I make some suggestions?

Either enable your email validation on registration, or enable a bot deterrent.

You're starting to get spam.

I think I enabled email verifacation.. can someone check to see if its working?

Stan said:
I think I enabled email verifacation.. can someone check to see if its working?
To verify, just log out and register again under a defferent name. I usually call the new login "test", I then figure out what worked and what didin't, then I delete the user name "test" when I'm finially done...

Peace,

Stan said:
Can someone do this with a bogus email addy, to see if the email system is working..
Stan,

Got it done...

I registered as "testmonkey" with a bogus email address...

Since I can't get the email to verify this account, everytime I try to acces the forums with this bogus login, I get this message :

mygamer.jpg

Hope that helps...

Peace,