City of Heroes

SaintBastard

Registered
Jun 23, 2005
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Is anyone playing this amazing game? Just wondering. It has taken over the lives of me and my two roommates. Gonna need therapy if I don't break the habit soon (taps veins) Ack! Need another fix!

Great pick-up-and play dynamics. It's successful because it appeals to the inner child in all of us, and allows you to accomplish something in a one or two hour sitting. Still, I miss crafting aspects and varying, explorable environments (come on...can't super heroes fight in the forests or in mountain ranges?). Still, there's alot to be learned from this MMOG, and alot for this MMOG to learn. City of Villians will certainly skyrocket the sales of this game!

Even though CoH is the shallowest MMO out there, it's on track at present rate to be the most succesful/most popular.

The reason is that everything Cryptic does is very good for the game, not very bad.

Simple and good isbetter than complex and bad, thats why CoH wins.

Unfortunately, I'm playing on my roommates account (hopefully until just today, Paychecks I can waste on my PC RULE!!), so my 28th lvl blaster is gonna have to be redone (the tears are streaming down my face as I type this). I think it successful because Cryptic is doing the ultimate No-no as far as MMORPG's is concerned. Free downloadable content. I mean, really, when CoV comes out that wil be the first "update" that anyone has to buy. And you don't even have to buy it. If they keep this up, even EQ2 won't be able to keep up with em.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Free downloadable content has been done as far back as Ultima Online. Both Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online, EQ, and Asherons Call have all handed out free content in the way of new zones, new character classes, etc. But it certainly doesn't hurt to release more freebies! I have to agree with Jas though, it's simplicity, and uniqueness to the MMO craze is what really sold this game, though if there's ever a dying fate for it, that will probably also prove to be it. It is quite repetitive, and exploration is next to nil, so people will grow tired of it...but it happens to them all. Keeping MMO's fresh and new is one of the biggest challenges a developer can endure, and I trust NCSoft with that task much more than some others.

Reply to: SaintBastard:

Unfortunately, I'm playing on my roommates account (hopefully until just today, Paychecks I can waste on my PC RULE!!), so my 28th lvl blaster is gonna have to be redone (the tears are streaming down my face as I type this). I think it successful because Cryptic is doing the ultimate No-no as far as MMORPG's is concerned. Free downloadable content. I mean, really, when CoV comes out that wil be the first "update" that anyone has to buy. And you don't even have to buy it. If they keep this up, even EQ2 won't be able to keep up with em.

City of Villians is a stand alone game, not an expansion. HOWEVER, if you have both games, you don't have to pay extra account money, the subscription remains at 15 per month.

[/quote]

City of Villians is a stand alone game, not an expansion. HOWEVER, if you have both games, you don't have to pay extra account money, the subscription remains at 15 per month.

[/quote]

Um, from what I've read and been told about it, CoV is an "expansion" in the truest sense of the word. Allowing human controlled Heroes to duke it out with Human controlled Villains, consensual PvP style. But at the same time it is also a stand alone, as in you don't have to own CoH to play CoV. I may be wrong......

To clear this up....

City of Villians is an expansion while at the same time being a stand alone. You're all right. You do not have to own City of Heroes to play City of Villians. However, in order to do PVP you will.

As for having both games active, I have not yet heard any actual facts in regards to monthly payments. If you have found that information, please put a link here.

City of Villians is a stand alone game. You can play CoV without CoH, having both is even better.

If you have both, you supposedly will have access to special content, and this will be determined PROBABLY by your account attributes, not having both games operate as one.

Well...i donno what everyone else is hearing but ive been hearing that this was an exansion. But ahh...what that one guy was saying sounds right, still having the one subscription. Ya i think im a hardcore CoH player. Ive been there since the beggining. I have 2 lvl 50s lol. I personaly liked it before issue 1. (exept for capes) I liked how simple it was. Now there is this complex team finder and the badge thing and what not. It is pretty cool though. I like how they keep throwing ion these updates. Very cool. I LOVE the cool powerslide that comes with the DVD edition. VERY cool. And he transperent cape u can get AWSOME. people at nc soft are really good at this.

Just to keep this link alive, I'd like to say that City of Heroes was the ultimate game for me.....post World of Warcraft anyway.

Not sure if it's because Marvel Comics is attacking them with lawsuits, but these guys need to get their act together fast if they plan on keeping a fan base. I sadly walked away from it simply because of the PVP (or lack there of). More power to them though. They need to do something quick though, or I fear even with City of Villians, by the time it releases, it may be too late.....

City of Heroes has its work cut out for them. I plan to buy it once I get a job. I am not an MMORPG man. But I love comic books and super heros so mabe this game will make me change.

Yet another update. I've dropped WoW and went back to CoH. HA!

Also, just in case anyone cares, CoH does have PVP Arena on the test servers. Meaning, that by mid April, we will have a full blown PVP game expansion for free. It looks great, but they are having a hard time on test right now. Lots of bugs to work out.

Anyways, the game is still great. And when PVP goes live next month, it's going to be even better. For anyone keeping track of City of Villians, it is currently scheduled for an October release. And yes, it is a stand alone game.